Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?

Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?

• Options
    OK I have two things to add:

First, I'm a person who will not give cash gifts, ever.  I will RARELY give gift cards and those are only to my closest friends when I plan on spending upwards of $100-$150.  The reason?  I don't want you to know how much I spent.  So you need a registry for physical items for people like me if you don't want me picking out a vase for you.  While physical items do have a price, you don't know if I bought it during a sale, with a gift card, or with a coupon.  You have an idea, but not precise knowledge of how much I spent on you.

Second, if your FI wants bone china, register for it.  Seriously.  She can register for it by piece to give a nice wide price range.  This will serve several purposes.  First, it's a traditional wedding gift - my parents have given china for every wedding they've gone to in their married life.  Second, it gives people like me something to buy for you.  Third, even if it's not your preceise cup of tea, if this is something she wants, she will probably get it (or you will get it for her) at some point in your marriage.  My mother did not register for china because she thought it was too expensive, and within a few years she wanted it so badly that my dad just bought it for her.  HE is the one insisting that I register for it because I know I will want it eventually, and it often starts around $2000 for a full set of nice bone china.  My pattern is a Lenox pattern that can be found in every major dept store and it would be around $3500 to get on my own.  Some friends of mine registered for the higher end stuff that's around $8000.  So yeah.  She can have some things she wants and you can have some things you want as long as they are for your marriage.  Same thing goes for crystal, formal flatware, and holiday dishes in my opinion - don't be so anti-materialism that you deny her getting china at this juncture in her life.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:a1747590-3da4-4d42-bff2-4e80be76d554">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]OK I have two things to add: First, I'm a person who will not give cash gifts, ever.  I will RARELY give gift cards and those are only to my closest friends when I plan on spending upwards of $100-$150.  The reason?  I don't want you to know how much I spent.  So you need a registry for physical items for people like me if you don't want me picking out a vase for you.  While physical items do have a price, you don't know if I bought it during a sale, with a gift card, or with a coupon.  You have an idea, but not precise knowledge of how much I spent on you. Second, if your FI wants bone china, register for it.  Seriously.  She can register for it by piece to give a nice wide price range.  This will serve several purposes.  First, it's a traditional wedding gift - my parents have given china for every wedding they've gone to in their married life.  Second, it gives people like me something to buy for you.  Third, even if it's not your preceise cup of tea, if this is something she wants, she will probably get it (or you will get it for her) at some point in your marriage.  My mother did not register for china because she thought it was too expensive, and within a few years she wanted it so badly that my dad just bought it for her.  HE is the one insisting that I register for it because I know I will want it eventually, and it often starts around $2000 for a full set of nice bone china.  My pattern is a Lenox pattern that can be found in every major dept store and it would be around $3500 to get on my own.  Some friends of mine registered for the higher end stuff that's around $8000.  So yeah.  She can have some things she wants and you can have some things you want as long as they are for your marriage.  Same thing goes for crystal, formal flatware, and holiday dishes in my opinion - don't be so anti-materialism that you deny her getting china at this juncture in her life.
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]
    Almost 100% agree here. China is one of those things that not everyone is into, especially men. If it's something important to her, then why not? My FI didn't understand it either, but it really means a lot to me, so we picked one out together. I have so many fond memories of my mom taking out her fine china for guests. I want that too. Nothing wrong with it.<div>
    </div><div>Regarding people giving gifts, I also rarely give cash. I really don't like it because it seems impersonal, plus you know how much I spent! I enjoy bargain shopping and will go out of my way to get 3-4 items off the registry through coupons/sales for the price of one. I love to give, but my bank account doesn't. People like us would appreciate a physical registry. </div><div>
    </div><div>In the end, make a decision WITH your FI regarding the best course.</div>
  • Options
    I have to disagree with the majority of these replies.  I know some people consider honeymoon registries rude, but I am not one of them.  Personally, I would so much rather help someone achieve an awesome memory than buy them a toaster (I am BIG on traveling, though, and think experiencing different places and activities is important)  
    Maybe not yet, but I think eventually honeymoon registries will be completely normal and acceptable ...I guess you could just gauge your guest list?  I think that older, more traditional people would be the ones to be most offended.
  • Options
    Sorry, but requests for cash gifts, even when disguised as a HM registry, are not appropriate. People already know cash is a great gift and don't need you to tell them to give it. They know how to write a check or put cash in a card if that is the gift they want to give you.  Once received if you want to put it toward your HM that is your choice, have fun. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:68dcc285-a016-4b4e-8bdb-6c04ce6429ee">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have to disagree with the majority of these replies.  I know some people consider honeymoon registries rude, but I am not one of them.  Personally, I would so much rather help someone achieve an awesome memory than buy them a toaster (I am BIG on traveling, though, and think experiencing different places and activities is important)   Maybe not yet, but I think eventually honeymoon registries will be completely normal and acceptable ...I guess you could just gauge your guest list?  I think that older, more traditional people would be the ones to be most offended.
    Posted by yesnomaybe[/QUOTE]

I think the more people learn how these things work, the less likely they'll be to buy from them.  My parents bought several hundred dollars of things from my brother's HMR.  When my dad found out that they didn't actually buy a damn thing and that the company just sent my brother and SIL a check MINUS a service fee, it took my mother days to peel him off the ceiling.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:d742155c-d308-4fff-8be1-4ab22db275ee">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]bsn, look up the definition of "tongue in cheek" sometime.  It's not a difficult concept to understand.  I wouldn't give them the cow cream pitcher, but I would send them a card.  With no honeymoon contribution. Registry information is published when the guests ask about it, or in shower invitations ONLY. It doesn't belong in wedding invitations, response cards or STDs. 
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

I understand the concept of tounge in cheek.  I appreciate your attempt to discredit my intellegence too. But your comment about buying the cow cream pitcher was a rebuttal to someone's HM registry, no where they put their registry information.  I think that it's lame that vsgal said the same thing.  And I can only hope that she understands the concept of tounge in cheek too, or I would say her gift is tacky as well.

And I agree, it doesn't belong in invitations anywhere.  We agree there.  Look at us go.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:9a0ac35c-5b69-482c-a079-efbfdeb4e4b5">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay? : Right now they are considered rude.  Maybe they will become "normal" one day, but that day is not today.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

Eh, I'm not so sure... I don't think they will ever be totally accepted, but I think that they're kinda normal these days.  Just look how many people ask about them!  :)

No one will ever agree 100% on whether or not they're rude though.  That's just a matter of opinion and difference in ideas.  My only problem with them is the deception to your guests that <strong>could</strong> (and probably most of the time do) come out of them.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:91fe1ff8-73f5-4b63-9d8b-061750f020b7">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay? : I understand the concept of tounge in cheek.  I appreciate your attempt to discredit my intellegence too. But your comment about buying the cow cream pitcher was a rebuttal to someone's HM registry, no where they put their registry information.  I think that it's lame that vsgal said the same thing.  And I can only hope that she understands the concept of tounge in cheek too, or I would say her gift is tacky as well. And I agree, it doesn't belong in invitations anywhere.  We agree there.  Look at us go.
    Posted by bsn1752[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your response. I completely agree that an argument about what is and is not tacky seems to be undermined when somebody suggests an action such as this. I understand that some people would prefer not to give cash or something that equates to cash but giving a tacky gift on purpose just to point out a blunder in etiquette? That to me seems like pretty rude behavior.

As an aside, we do want guests to know about our wedding website due to the helpful info it will have on it such as places to stay, things to do while in town etc. We do have registry info on the website though. Is it considered rude to put the wedding website on the invitations if the website has registry information on it? If so then how would we get the registry info to people who we dont really ever see or talk to?
  • Options
    I think the website would make sense in the invitation, only if it's on an insert that has hotel info or driving directions.  After you list things normally for your guests who won't look it up, just write a (much more articulate) version of this at the bottom:

"for more travel and wedding information, please visit blueroseknight.com"

It's fine that your registry is on the website.  It's not like you're directing people to the registry page.  The only people who will go to the website are people who want more information about the wedding as a whole, and most of them are probably curious about your registry anyway.

This was an interesting discussion.  Good luck!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:58717a81-4d87-4c2c-b63b-344d1756f2ea">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay? : Can you honestly say you don't need ANYTHING? And quite frankly, you don't seem like you're going to change your mind so why bother asking?
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

This.

You just came to post so you could EXPLAIN why you are doing it. People tried to direct you to the sticky at the top of the thread, and you said "nono, I want to talk about it." So go ahead and do it. We don't agree. But we don't know you. So do whatever you want. We gave our opinions. Which, by the way, we thought you wanted, but you don't.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's the thing,  you get married.  You only have a honeymoon registry, which I would never  contribute  to.  You leave me no other options or ideas of what you would like.  I am left grasping at straws.  Would I literally buy a ceramic rooster or a cow pitcher?  I don't know because I have no idea what to get.  Ceramic roosters are not tacky.  Maybe not your taste, but a lot of people really dig them in the kitchen including my grandmother and my best friend. Asking for money=tacky.  Getting a rooster=not tacky.

FYI, having a rooster in your kitchen in any form will encourage good luck, health and prosperity. 
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:597d5d32-e681-43fe-bf3a-57be5b73d2e5">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay? : Thanks for your response. I completely agree that an argument about what is and is not tacky seems to be undermined when somebody suggests an action such as this. I understand that some people would prefer not to give cash or something that equates to cash but giving a tacky gift on purpose just to point out a blunder in etiquette? That to me seems like pretty rude behavior. As an aside, we do want guests to know about our wedding website due to the helpful info it will have on it such as places to stay, things to do while in town etc. We do have registry info on the website though. Is it considered rude to put the wedding website on the invitations if the website has registry information on it? If so then how would we get the registry info to people who we dont really ever see or talk to?
    Posted by Blueroseknight[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>I wouldn't include wedding website info on an invite, those should go on save the dates.</div><div>
    </div><div>People pretty much know where to look for a registry... and if they don't, they'll ask.  Make sure your parents and your bridal party know... just in case they're asked as well.  Word of mouth is generally the best way to get registry info out.

</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:acffb219-713a-4b37-b122-8b26c013335b">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here's the thing,  you get married.  You only have a honeymoon registry, which I would never  contribute  to.  You leave me no other options or ideas of what you would like.  I am left grasping at straws.  Would I literally buy a ceramic rooster or a cow pitcher?  I don't know because I have no idea what to get.  Ceramic roosters are not tacky.  Maybe not your taste, but a lot of people really dig them in the kitchen including my grandmother and my best friend. Asking for money=tacky.  Getting a rooster=not tacky. FYI, having a rooster in your kitchen in any form will encourage good luck, health and prosperity. 
    Posted by vsgal[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>There are so many things here.</div><div>1. You have no other option? Really?  Cash... giftcards... There's 2.  Problem solved.</div><div>
    </div><div>2. Your options are gifts like ceramic roosters and cow pitchers?  I hope that you honestly have much better ideas than this.</div><div>
    </div><div>3.  I hope that you really feel like buying gifts that fit YOUR OWN taste for someone is a bad idea, because let's face it, it is.</div><div>
    </div><div>4.  I think ceramic roosters and cow pitchers are tacky.  Are you the expert on all things tacky?  Can you be the end all, be all on what is tacky and what is not?  No, you're not.</div><div>
    </div><div>5.  I still stand by my comment... buying something like a ceramic rooster trying to be "cute" or teach someone a lesson (or whatever you think you're accomplishing) is lame.  And IMHO, it makes the rooster giftee just as tacky as they're making the HM register out to be.

</div>
  • Options
    Can I just say that tacky is subjective. I like milk pitchers in the shape of cows that moo. I think they're funny, not tacky. bsn, some people don't like to give gift cards or cash. Picking out a gift for someone who is saying he only wants cash makes picking out a gift hard when you don't want to give cash.
  • Options
    shiit I have every intention of registering for a cow creamer... smaller than a pitcher but same idea. c'mon bsn, surely you think she's at least a little cute??  :)  and if not, I suppose I'm destined to be tacky.

In all honesty though, if you don't have physical options for guests who aren't comfortable with cash they will do the best they can within their comfort zone.  Like I said, for me that's usually a generic vase or something because they can be clear, and I figure most people have fresh flowers now and then.  I'm not going to buy you a vase that I think is ugly but it still might not be to your tastes.  It would be a lot better for everybody involved if you just told me what sort of things you want/need.

Ultimately, whatever your opinions are on HM registries, your opinion (OP) doesn't really matter - because you're not buying yourself a gift, your guests are.  People won't contribute to a HM registry if giving cash is something they're uncomfortable with.  OP, I have no idea what's the norm in Oregon, but in Georgia where I'm from physical gifts are quite common.  Do your guests a favor and create at least a small registry of physical gifts so they can be guided - all price ranges too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:fa81d080-8779-4cb9-baea-11de56a43e5a">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can I just say that tacky is subjective. I like milk pitchers in the shape of cows that moo. I think they're funny, not tacky. bsn, some people don't like to give gift cards or cash. Picking out a gift for someone who is saying he only wants cash makes picking out a gift hard when you don't want to give cash.
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Oh, I totally agree.  Tacky is completely subjective... which was my point!</div><div>
    </div><div>I also agree that some people don't like giving cash or gift cards.  I also agree with the advice to create a small registry, for the people that don't like giving such gifts.  But I think that giving a gift, intended to be tacky, because you were given "no other option", is incredibly tacky  (subjectively speaking, of course).</div><div>
    </div><div>

</div>
  • Options
    Not all of them are deceptive. Sandals has a registry that simply gives vouchers. People can give direct contributions as well, but if someone purchases a couples' massage for you that's exactly what you get - a couples' massage. There are many activities as well, but no deception, because you never even see the cash. The voucher goes directly to the room.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You know what really annoys me about honeymoon registries?  People do them to try to push the people who are not comfortable giving cash into giving cash, by hook or by crook.  If Uncle Ned likes to give out the greenbacks as gifts then you already know you're probably getting a check from him.  No need to register for cash (as a HM registry is doing).  The real goal, as far as I can see, is to try to make Aunt Sue, who likes to give tangible gifts and who doesn't feel comfortable giving cash, give cash - either by tricking her into thinking she's giving a tangible gift, when you really just get a check minus whatever fees they take out of it, or by making her feel like her gift is unwanted if it's not moolah. 

• Options

I agree, not all HW registries are cash, do your research and seek out the real decent registries from others. Honeymoonwishes is the best for this. Not all HW registries are to pay for the honeymoon itself. My experience is that couples use the HW to give them once in a lifetime memories of excursions and activities to do whilst there. As a gift giver I would always want to give a gift that the couple actually wants and will cherish, for much longer than a set of crystal glasses that they can show off once every few years. Honeymoonwishes.com registry offers all of this and a free wedding website and safe and secure payment system and THE BEST customer service for brides and gift givers. If you want to gift the gift of fun and lifetime memories then this is the way I recommend for sure.
    x

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:67001fad-f5be-431e-8c33-42d3dbd0c7f0">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's never been acceptable to ask others for their money.  That's what a registry of this type does. It's not okay to ask others to pay for your vacation, or your house.  It's tasteless. I've not seen an etiquette expert endorse this yet, and hope I never do.  If my family had such poor taste, we'd be having the Come To Jesus talk. Anyone who who does do this shouldn't be surprised when they get a tacky gift, no gift, or a decline to their invitation.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

And who do you consider an etiquette expert?  The Post Foundation?
  • Options
    Didnt Emily Post's grandson endorse hm registries? I don't count him as an etiquette expert. He sold out.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:ae1db7a4-921a-4cc3-bebc-e2360fbc356e">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Didnt Emily Post's grandson endorse hm registries? I don't count him as an etiquette expert. He sold out.
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

Yep.

So, I'd like to know who then is considered an expert?
  • Options
    I have seen Carley Roney, founder of theknot.com, on several talk shows saying that requests for cash gifts is a NO, NO under any circumstances.  Unfortunately theknot.com still advertises HM registries, which is why so many etiquette lacking people get confused. They think if The Knot or other wedding websites advertise HM registries it must be ok, even though it is still not OK to ask for cash gifts. 

Why take the chance of offending even one of your guests by setting up a cash registry when you will more than likely get numerous cash gifts without asking? 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:5ad12e74-def6-4dcc-abb4-84a458ce3e44">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay? : Yep. So, I'd like to know who then is considered an expert?
    Posted by bsn1752[/QUOTE]

I tend to lean towards amy vanderbuilt.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:651048ad-407f-4ccc-a539-c97db766bf04">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay? : I tend to lean towards amy vanderbuilt.

I would be interested to know what her stance is... off to google!  :)
  • Options
    We originally were going to set up a honeymoon registry..then I came on the knot..I had never thought of it as rude until it was put into perspective for me on here..
    Now, knowing what I know if I went to a wedding that had a HM registry I would just write them a check and in the note write like.. have fun on your vacation! or something.. now that I know it is essentially the same thing.
    We set up a small registry at crate and barrel for "bridal shower" type gifts.. (I was told I was being thrown multiple showers) and then a few upgrades from the Bay..(im canadian, lol, I dont think you guys have The Bay in the states) for people who are adamant about a material gift..and then people will know you want cash..your guests arent stupid, theyll know. and we are using it all to put a larger downpayment on our new home..and maybe a couple extras for our honeymoon..we booked a honeymoon we could afford to pay for ourselves..but maybe we will get to go parasailing or something fun!
  • Options
    I'll weigh in that Dear Abby hates HMRs with a passion.  She once told a bride to be that her engagement ring did not magically turn her guests into ATMs for her personal use.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    Blueroseknight, I sent you a private message about what we're thinking of doing.

I think it completely depends on the situation.  Huge 200+ wedding where the bride and groom don't know all the guests very well may not work and people may consider it rude.  On the other hand, we're having a small wedding and I've brought up the idea of gifts going toward our honeymoon (not using a honeymoon registry site tho) to many of our relatives and friends that will be attending.  Haven't heard one negative comment yet.  Yes we may be completely untraditional and breaking etiquette...but then again I've never exactly been concerned with what others think.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:60da5f96-2971-4a5e-aca8-f6106d095d92">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Blueroseknight, I sent you a private message about what we're thinking of doing. I think it completely depends on the situation.  Huge 200+ wedding where the bride and groom don't know all the guests very well may not work and people may consider it rude.  On the other hand, we're having a small wedding and I've brought up the idea of gifts going toward our honeymoon (not using a honeymoon registry site tho) to many of our relatives and friends that will be attending.  Haven't heard one negative comment yet.  Yes we may be completely untraditional and breaking etiquette...but then again I've never exactly been concerned with what others think.  :)
    Posted by kekr0202[/QUOTE]

Your friends and family are more likely to spare your feelings than random strangers in the Internet.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_honeymoon-registry-okay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:db834c54-2334-401a-9c7c-5e93e93594acPost:68540a51-996d-4040-939c-223af2aff8dc">Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoon Registry - Is it okay? : Your friends and family are more likely to spare your feelings than random strangers in the Internet.

I don't think you know my family!  I say that humorously (not picking on you) because you should hear the things said when we go to traditional weddings.  My immediate family and closest friends all think traditional wedding registries are tacky.  We've had many open convos about this throughout the years.  I respect those that choose to go with them but they're not for us. 

We're very laid-back people and if someone doesn't like what we're asking for they don't need to give and we're making that clear.  We're professional adults who can pay for our own things including our own honeymoon...BUT we do have family & friends who insist on giving us a gift and this is one thing they can give that would be fun.

That's why I say it depends on the situation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards