Registry and Gift Forum
Options

How soon.........

Good evening ladies!

How soon did you register before your wedding date?  In my knot check list it says to start but I feel like its too early.  My wedding is about 8 1/2 months away.  I thought that if I were to register now.. Some stuff that I want will be discontinued by the time my wedding rolls around.  What do you think?

Re: How soon.........

• Options
    My wedding is in August and we just started our registry. That way my family can get some ideas for christmas if they want. I am planning on watching it to make sure items are not disconyinued and add more items later
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did ours about a year out, but that's because we needed to get it out of the way.  Most people recommend to do it about a month before your shower.
  • Options
    We did it at about 4-5 months out.
  • Options
    We did it about 6 months out.  We did it in November for our May wedding.  We ended up getting several things for Christmas from our families, so that may be a reason to start early. 

Remember, you can always start one and put just a few things on there and update it as you get closer. 
  • Options
    I don't even want to think about it yet.  We're getting married in October, so maybe we'll start in June or July.
  • Options
    I just registered for ours. Our wedding is in June, so about 7 months out. I've been doing it all online and it's been pretty easy, just time consuming!

GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC Baby #1 since September 2011
  • Options
    We did it 7 months out.  We had a lot of stuff on our registry that was discontinued, though, so we had to keep an eye out for that.

But, it was for stuff at Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma, so when it went on sale - we just checked our registry and realized it.  This was good, because if there was something we REALLY wanted, we just bought it ourselves.

Does that make sense?
  • Options
    We started in September for our May wedding so 8 months out.
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • Options
    I'm getting married in June... and don't even want to think about it yet!!  But I also don't have any parties planned yet, so I'm not concerned about people wanting to buy me stuff and not knowing what to buy.  My sister suggested registering before Christmas so I could tell my family to buy me stuff off of it.  I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to take her advice.
  • Options
    My wedding's in August and I think we're going to wait until after Christmas.  I went shopping the other day and a lot of the stores that we were thinking of registering at had Christmas-themed stuff out already that replaced a lot of their regular merchandise.  I guess technically we could register online, but I'd rather go and at least get a feel for most things.  So anyway, we'll probably start in Jan/Feb, about 6 months out
  • Options
    we did ours right after we got engaged, a lor family and friends were asking where we registered we got some stuff for engagements gifts.
  • Options
    Our wedding is in May, we did our yesterday. Now people are getting us stuff from our registry for Christmas!
  • Options

Our Wedding is this March and we have yet to register. I didn't see the point in registering early not to mention that all of our showers will be after christmas. So it didn't make sense for us, b/c whatever we register for now probably won't be avaiable any longer or would end up being discontinued.

• Options
    Our wedding is next November and we did it in the summer.  We are both teachers and wanted to do it before the school year started.  Our families were pushing us to do it too, because they wanted to get us stuff for Christmas.  We will see!!
  • Options
    The registry is the first thing we did. And I'm glad because we got engagement gifts off our registry! I just tried to keep an eye on it to make sure things were still available until the wedding. I don't remember many things being discontinued over the 9 months of our engagement.
  • Options
    I've been wondering about this too. I am thinking starting the registry before Christmas is a good idea. That way family and friends can get you things for christmas your really going to need. And you can always maintain it as it gets closer to your showers and the wedding!
  • Options
    It was one of the first things we did.  FI was very excited to get to the store and play with the scan gun.
  • Options
    i would do it earlier rather than later. yes some stuff may be discontinued, but you can always go back and update your registry. having it done earlier allows people to get you things for christmas or other occassions, or if they want to get you a large set of something, or maybe a more expensive item, this gives them time to save up money, or buy it a little bit at a time.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    We registered about 18 months out but that is because everyone kept asking us where we were registered (in terms of getting us engagement presents) so we decided to do it early so we'd receive things we wanted instead of things we wouldn't like or need.  We did check on it every few months and had to change some items due to discontinuation issues, but it was no big deal...
  • Options
    I'm waiting until after Christmas for my June wedding.  I feel like there's too much holiday stuff out now and new stuff will appear after the crazyness :)
  • Options

My wedding is in Oct and I have yet to register, even tho I'm REALLY excited to!  I think we'll wait until about April, like 6 months out.  If you are concerned about products being discontinued, you can always add/delete items - that's so simple. 

• Options
    Our wedding is next December, and we're going to register on my birthday (August 11).  I wanted to go mid-week because we figured the stores wouldn't be as busy, and we both had that day off anyway so it should work out perfectly. 

We were going to do a small registry now for Christmas ideas, but my family always asks for Christmas lists anyway so I just put some stuff that I would have probably put on our registry (some new luggage, KitchenAid stand mixer, serving pieces, etc) on my Christmas list.  If I don't get some of it for Christmas, then I can stick it on the registry.
  • Options
    I am going to do it this week.
  • Options
    We did it a few months after being engaged only because people kept asking where we were registered. We have a really long engagement, almost 2 years, so we registered about a year and a half before the wedding.
  • Options
    We originally just did one at about 8 mths out and then recently added a second registry a couple weeks ago.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    mine is in september and we wont start doing anything until like may it is still to soon 
  • Options
    My wedding is also about 8 months away, yet I did register with Target and Macy's this month. I didn't go crazy with it, I just registered for enough things that my family could use it for gift giving during the holidays and get an idea of some items my fiance and I were looking at for our wedding.
  • Options
    We did ours 10 months away from our wedding, and a lot of the stuff is no longer available.

If you are going to do it now, I suggest checking the website frequently to make sure everything is still on there.
  • Options
    I think when to register is a very personal thing. I would not register once the holiday shopping begins though, that would be a nightmare with crowds of people in the store. If people are asking about your registry I'd say give the people what they want. For us there was no engagement party and I only received one gift from my very generous aunt which was a check that I deposited into the wedding fund. I'd love to ignore it until about four months ahead of time but we have to do it sooner because he's military and stationed out of state. We're getting married June 20th and we'll be doing our registry at the end of January. 

What I'm trying to say is that there is no one wrong or right time to register. Do it when it works for you.
    imageGraphics In a world of crazy we need as many hugs as we can get.
  • Options

I am getting married in June and we are registering after the 1st of the year.  I know that Target discontinues some of their dishes and silverware after christmas and we dont want to reigster for something that is going to get discontinued.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards