Second Weddings

Dress ideas for a 59-year-old bride

I'm finally getting married for the first time. It's my fiance's second marraige, but since I've never been married before he wants us to have a traditional wedding. He says he wants it to be the happiest day of my life.
We're planning a simple outdoor ceremony with about 50 guests and no attendants other than the best man and maid of honor, who are just as old as we are.
The groom and best man plan to wear tan suits. Any ideas on how the bride and maid of honor should dress?
I always dreamed of wearing a beautiful gown, but I fear it would look silly on someone my age. Any suggestions? 

Re: Dress ideas for a 59-year-old bride

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you've always wanted a beautiful gown, go for it!  There are no rules at all on what you can wear at your age.  I remarried at the age of 56.  However, my wife (then 41) had never been married, so we essentially treated it as a first wedding.  Both of us wore ivory dresses, veils, pearls, and opera gloves.

• kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would wear whatever you like & are comfortable in. I felt a little like you when I first started to plan (I'll be 44) but once I started to try on "real" wedding gowns I changed my mind!!    Start looking around & try some on.  CONGRATS!!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wear what makes you feel beautiful!  If you want a gown go for it. 

Congratulations!!! And happy planning!
  • edited December 2011
    There is s post down the board a bit asking to see brides over 50 gowns.
    Many of us posted there with pics.
    Wear a gown if you want to ....it's your DAY!!!!!!
    Congrats and welcome to the board!
  • debi1941debi1941 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations !

I am in total agreement with everyone else on this board...this is your wedding day and you should wear the gown that makes you look as beautiful as you feel as a bride on your wedding day.....there are no right or wrongs any more, there are no age brackets for wedding gowns......you can even wear a veil...you are a first time BRIDE !!!

I agree , look at the post and se how gorgeous the other "over 50" brides  are in their gowns.......

Buy the gown you want to buy!

Keep us posted !!!!

• edited December 2011

Dear; I'm going to give it to you straight - by 59 you know exactly what to wear that makes you look and feel beautiful!!  If you want to wear a huge tulle Cinderella gown with Cathedral length veil - go for it!  Its your wedding and you deserve to wear what you want. (Although if you plan on dancing alot, I suggest straps - so many girls spend the evening pulling their dresses up and it just looks uncomfortable.)

I still find it amazing that most people would never dare to be so arrogant as to tell another woman what to wear (aside from catty TV Hosts), but as soon as you say wedding, everyone knows better than the lady who has to wear the dress. <sigh />

If anyone (family included) tries to disuade you from wearing your dream gown because of your age, you have permission from a Southern Lady to
    1) whack them up side the head <politely of course! />,
    2) take your business elsewhere and
    3) not invite them to your wedding.

Hope this helps!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow red1115, you are sassy, LOL. But I agree 100% with you. As the prior posters said, page down a bit and read the other posts about what an *ahem* more mature bride should wear. Everyone's pretty much in agreement that you should wear what you want.

Welcome, and congrats!
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dang, those of us over 50 have to be "more mature"?  Why didn't anyone tell me?  ;-)
  • gownmakergownmaker member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, everyone. I took a look at the photos of over-50 brides, and they all look beautiful. I can't wait to start trying on gowns.
  • edited December 2011
    Have fun gownmaker and remember to take pics in the gowns and look at them before you buy. Somehow I got a better idea of what I actually looked like in the gown from the pics I took. Many choices were nixed after the pics. I know it doesn't make sense but try it...

EXAMPLE BELOW: Loved this Ream Acra Ballgown but I am so short I looked like I was standing in a hole with it on. I could only see this in the pic. Not just in the mirror.

• vmmomvmmom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree - one thought - if you find you don't like the look of the "wedding" gowns, consider trying on "bridesmaid" dresses, which you can order in champagne, silver, gold, etc.  I was looking for something not too bride-y and found some of these styles I liked better.  Although, eventually ended up buying a true wedding dress when I found a style that was simple and elegant and flattered my 46 year old body.
  • linder53linder53 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might consider looking at bridesmaid dresses.  That is where I found one for my second wedding.  Good luck
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Gownmaker--congratulations!  Please, please, please, wear what you want to wear!!  I'm sure your loved ones will be so happy for you that you MUST wear a gown!  I just got married, at 47, in a long white dress.  I felt great.  PM me if you want a link to photos.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards