Options

old lady dresses?

2»

Re: old lady dresses?

• Options
    courtney1188courtney1188 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_old-lady-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:e37ae098-b1c7-409c-ad0a-6147a464a6bbPost:b705e6f0-3974-4f4e-8743-f602a661b244">Re: old lady dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just worry she will look at herself iwhen the pictures come in and not like what she sees and regret wearing what she does. She doesn't see herself as others do. <strong>She claims she's an old lady, AND SHE'S NOT. She claims she's fat AND SHE"S NOT.</strong> I'm trying to show her hoe amazing she looks in other things and IMPROVE her self esteem. As far as my words, I have no regrets. I am alunt person who tells it like it is. I don't sugar coat or b.s.
    Posted by KitkatShadowSquirtsMom[/QUOTE]

Um, in your first post you said, and I quote, "Should  just let her wear what she wants and look old and fat"

Way to be super mean to your mom. I'm pretty sure she didn't pick out your wedding dress, so you don't get to pick her MOB outfit.
  • Options
    mstar284mstar284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_old-lady-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:e37ae098-b1c7-409c-ad0a-6147a464a6bbPost:b021b517-308c-4285-bddf-dea2f4399ba1">Re: old lady dresses?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I reread the OP's posts and I don't see where she called her mom old and fat, but I do see where she said her mom called herself old and fat. OP was just sharing her words.  </strong>I think probably Mom is getting upset with seeing her body age and change, and isn't really sure what she's supposed to be doing to dress herself anymore, as some of the old rules may not be working.  Or she thinks that her age dictates she dress and act a certain way, when that's not the case.  I think OP's heart is in the right place because she wants her mom to look beautiful and her best that day, but Mom isn't seeing things the same way.  (Bluntness aside... there is such a thing as being too blunt. Sometimes it's a fine line.) Ultimately you need to let her wear what she wants, and suck it up.  If she regrets what she looks like in the pictures, then she will have to deal with that.  I do agree with the selections at bridal shops for moms - too often it's Frump City, population everyone.   My mom was horrified by the options she found for my sister's wedding, even at the most upscale shops (she has a very elegant, classic style).  She found a chic cocktail suit at a department store (on a great sale) that was perfect.  I would go shopping there definitely, but still let her pick out what she wants.  And tell her she looks wonderful when she does.
    Posted by RebeccaB88[/QUOTE]

That was not her original post...she changed it. I don't remember her exact words.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Options
    littleshrinklittleshrink member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow!  I hope all us brides out there are not you.  Geez.  It should be more important to you that your mom feel beautiful and enjoy the process with you.  I have a year and half to go and she and I have had so much fun finding my dress, my sister MO dress, flower girl and her dress.  This is fun, not work!
    Time of our lives Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards