Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Top 10 Makeup Myths

I found this on a local photographer's blog.  It's an interview with a Dallas MUA (Haute Facade) so I'd thought I'd share. 

The top 10 makeup myths and the actual truth:

Myth 1
: If I put on more lip-gloss it will last longer.

Truth 1: The more lip-gloss you wear the FASTER it will come off. A very thin amount of lip-gloss will actually adhere to your lips better.

Myth 2:
If you wear moisturizer/sunscreen under your makeup it won’t last.

Truth 2: Your makeup will last just as long if you treat your skin as you normally do and as long as you give your skin time to absorb the moisturizer/sunscreen.

Myth #3
- If I wear eyeliner all the way around my eyes it will make my eyes look smaller.

Truth #3- If you wear eyeliner all the around your eyes it will actually make your eye sockets look smaller…. but will draw more attention to your irises (the color). No one says “Wow, she has amazing eye sockets!”. :o )

Myth #4
– I can’t wear blue/purple/x color eyeshadow.

Truth #4 – You CAN! I’m not suggesting anyone go crazy and apply every color from the MAC counter (especially on their wedding day), but you CAN wear most colors if it’s applied the correct way & in very limited amount.

Myth #5
– I need to find foundation that matches the inside of my wrist.

Truth #5 - Your wrist does not match your face. It isn’t hit by the sun at the same angle or intensity. Likewise your face isn’t ever going to match your neck. You certainly don’t want your face to be several shades different creating that “mask” that most of us suffered in Jr. High… but your natural skin on your face and neck don’t exactly match – no 2 parts of your body are 100% the same color. Just find a color that is close & pleasing to the eye correcting for any color variations on your face.

Myth 6
- I have oily skin. I need to have all matte makeup.

Truth 6: While you certainly want some oil control, you also want a controlled shine. A ‘youthful glow’ is universally flattering, so pick a blush with a bit of shine to it and consider using highlighting techniques.

Myth 7
– I got my eyebrows waxed/threaded/tweezed. That’s enough.

Truth 7 – Pay a little love to your eyebrows! It seems like a little detail, but makes such a huge difference to your face. Use a brow pencil to lightly fill out your brows & push your brow hairs all the same direction.

Myth 8
– I need to match my lip pencil to my lipstick.

Truth 8 – You need a good waxy flesh colored lip pencil to hold that color – no matter what color you use with it.You’ll save money and have more room in your makeup bag!

Myth 9
– I need to go outside my lips to give them a fuller look.

Truth 9 – When you draw obviously outside the borders of your natural lips you look like you put on your lip color in the dark. From really far away the look might be ok, but as soon as anyone is in talking distance it will become very obvious that you are faking it. Push the limits by riding the extent of the outer border of your lips, but don’t press your luck.. Work with what nature gave you… accept it or look into getting a filler for a full lip that lasts months.

Myth 10
– Fake lashes are for Halloween..

Truth 10 – False lashes are universally flattering. There are few women in the world who do not benefit from them. The secret to finding the right last is to stick with a lash that tapers from longer/fuller on the outside of the eye to smaller on the inside and to keep them a conservative length. Do not fall victim to expensive cosmetic company marketing. Expense does not make lashes any better suited for you. I recommend most people use Ardell “Babies”. They are appropriate for most faces and cost around $4/pair!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards