Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Reception Traditions?!! Help!

I am getting married in 3 months! I am just somewhat confused on what exactly goes on at the reception. Who dances first(bride & groom or bride & father)...the garter take off...toasts...etc. Can somone please help me figure out what exactly goes on and in what order. Thank you :)

Re: Reception Traditions?!! Help!

• Options
    At DD's wedding last month, they did the order a little different than I'd ever seen, and I liked it better.They introduced parents, WP, and DD and SIL into the reception.  DD and SIL had their first dance, and then we all went in to dinner.  MOH and BM gave toasts right before dinner, and the pastor offered the blessing before the meal.After dinner, they cut the cake and then the emcee invited everyone back to the dance floor.  DD then had the father/daughter dance, and then came SIL's dance with his mom.  Then they amped up the music, and opened up the dance floor for a party.  (They were plating and serving the cake then)From that point on, the dance floor was never empty.  About 30 minutes before the end of the reception, they did the bouquet/garter thing.  Then at the end, they announced the last dance.I liked it because it split up the special dances so that people weren't standing around watching 3 in a row, and it made each part a little more special rather than jamming them all in a row.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Our DJ kept things rolling and kept track of the order. That was nice. Talk to him/her or if you don't have one just decide what you want to do!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    You can do any one, all or none of the 'traditions' in whatever order you like, though if you are doing dances usually the bride and groom dance first. I guess. But if they didn't it wouldn't be the end of the world.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards