Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

must I register???

I have always felt that it is impolite to request gifts and that by registering, that is precisely what I would be doing. On top of that, my fiance and I have lived together for almost 3 years and we literally have everything we need. So I was not planning on registering anywhere.However, several people, both family and not, have said that I NEED to register because people will want o buy gifts and will want to have some direction. Is this truly the case? I always thought the point of registering was so the newlyweds could get the things they needed to start a home, which we have already done.Please give me your feelings on this. Thanks!

Re: must I register???

• I think you can use a registry to upgrade things you have now:  nicer towels for example.  Or you can use it for fun things that you might like to have.  You can register at Amazon for hobby or other interest type things.But if you don't register for anything, you get someone else's idea of lovely:  that crocheted toilet paper cover is going to look just perfect in your bathroom.....
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • We were in a similar situation, except, we've been living together for 8 years. Everyone invited already knew that and gave us money (cash or checks) instead. We didn't get a single gift, which is exactly what we wanted. We did have a honeymoon registry which 2 people used (one was a friend who wasn't even invited) out of about 40 invited guests. That was fine with us too, most of our guests aren't comfortable sending money online and we knew that as well. Our other reason for not wanting a registry was that we had no space for more things in our small apartment and aren't planning on moving soon. Also, being "green" minded, we tend to reuse and recycle what we already have and didn't want to throw things out because we could upgrade them with a registry. In general I have the same attitude as you. If I don't know you well enough to buy you a great wedding gift, why am I invited to your wedding? I generally avoid buying gifts off the registries and buy something they would never put on a registry anyway, but still end up loving. My culture also has a money giving tradition for weddings and other similar events anyway, so my family wouldn't have used a registry anyway.
  • exactly what chryse said lolif you dont do a registry people usually bring money also make sure to spread the word to friends and family.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You are not required to register. However if you do not register people will have no guidance in what you r style is or what you want and will get you what they think you shoudl want. I would either buy you 2 waterford wine glasses or a set of really nice pie pans and bakeware depending on what I think of your cooking.  Do you want all of your guests taking guesses liek that or do you want your own choices. Because if you registered someone like me would buy off your registry
  • register for some upgrades - once you start walking through the store you will probably be surprised the number of things you see that you would like to upgrade or didn't even think of before.  If you don't register that is your choice, but be prepared to get 10 blenders and other random kitchen appliances - my sister didn't register for very much for her wedding, so everything was filled pretty quickly and she actually ended up with two food dehydrators - like one wasn't bad enough.
  • We are totally thinking along the same lines!People don't need a guideline to what you want. They can get you whatever they think is appropriate. I don't care if someone gets me something that's not my taste at all, or if they don't bring anything. I'm inviting the people I'm inviting because I want them there celebrating with me.Also, you'll probably get a lot of checks. But again, that's NOT the point for me!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards