Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Haitian Customs

My Fiance is Haitian, and from what I understand, the Haitian wedding isn't too different from a standard Christian Wedding as Haiti is a highly Catholic country. I was wondering though, if anyone had any ideas as to how I could incorporate the culture into our reception and/or Ceremony. My Fi's mother still speaks only Creole with a little English, so we're going to have someone translate our ceremony for her, but other than that, I want to make it special for my Fi & His family as well as mine.

Re: Haitian Customs

• Congrats! My fiance too is Haitian. We are incorporating authentic Haitian Cuisine in the cocktail hour: griot, fritas, tasso, pickles. & since its a fall wedding we will have cremas: signature Haitian drink.

For the formal dinner I think  I will have one signature Haitian Dish, since my fiance's father only eats Haitian food. lol

As for the ceremony the groomsmen & bridesmaid are walking (more like dancing) down the aisle in this signature Haitian Walk. I am learning Creole & will have a portion of my vows spoken in Creole.

Hopefully that was helpful.
    It Was Luv At First Bite!
  • Learning Creole is an awesome idea! lol I have tried to pick up some from my fi, but unfortunately I have an absolutely TERRIBLE memory! lol I tell him all the time to talk to me in creole so maybe I can begin to learn haha ...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards