Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Did you give your fiancé a choice of whether or not to wear a wedding ring?

I heard that Prince William won't be wearing a wedding ring.

I gave my fiancé a choice of whether or not to wear one. He'll wear one.

What about you?

Re: Did you give your fiancé a choice of whether or not to wear a wedding ring?

• Options
    He would not be happy if I wasn't wearing a ring. Therefore, he will be wearing one also-- two way street. I think if the guy works with his hands a lot or something then it's a valid choice, but for us, rings were a must.
    meet annie! rescued 6.17.12 imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I voted "no" just because it never came up, but I think that if he had brought up the possibility of not wearing one, it might upset me. He doesn't work with his hands or anything, so there would be no reason not to wear one. Also, I just like to know that he has something of me on him at all times, I think wedding rings are one of the sweetest things when you really think about what they symbolize.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My FI is excited to wear his ring. When we first got our bands he would wear it just for fun. Did they say why Prince William doesn't want to wear his ring??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We talked about this last night actually because of Prince William. He will wear one. I would be upset if he didn't want to.

-This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPiclarger_image
  • Options
    FI keeps talking about ''when I get my ring'' this and ''when I wear my ring'' that.  He's excited about it.  But um no I wouldn't have given him a choice whether to wear it or not.  He got mad once because I took my ring off to go in the shower and he wrongfully thought I hadn't worn it that day at all....It goes both ways.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It wasn't even a discussion for us. Don't know why it would be, unless he brought it up. It's just part of getting married - he gets to wear a ring too. I would be hurt if he didn't because it's such a large part of the ceremony and the symbolism is so very important to me.
  • Options
    We also never brought it up, but if he really didn't want to wear one for whatever reason, I wouldn't force him to.  He's the one who has to wear it, it was entirely his decision.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    If FI stated he didn't want to for some reason, that would be his choice.. it doesn't make you any less married.
  • Options
    My FI isn't allowed to wear anything below the elbows at work (watches, rings, etc) He also works with his hands a lot the moment he comes home (i.e. he's repairing an engine on one of his cars, he's chopping wood, etc) So we talked about whether or not to even buy a ring for him since really he wouldn't wear it very often. We even considered just borrowing a ring for the ceremony. In the end, he decided he wanted one for those times when we go out to social events, but we both know he won't wear it any other time. It doesn't bother me at all. Him wearing a ring is just not practical because he works with his hands so much. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I personally like the symbolic aspect of it, but I should clarify that I wouldn't force him to wear it if he was really against it.

My FI would mind if I didn't want to wear one ever, but he doesn't care if I take my ring off. The other day I was mixing bread and he was like are you wearing your ring!? It will get all gooey! lol
    -This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPiclarger_image
  • Options
    My FI is excited about wearing it, but we also know that he won't be able to wear it in certain work scenarios (lots of loading and unloading) so it won't be a HUGE issue if he couldn't wear his ring for those reasons, but like others on here, I like the symbolism of it, and so does my FI.  We're looking forward to being able to look at the ring finger and know that we are someone's one and only.  :-)
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    I voted 'no' but if he was really was against it, I wouldn't force him to wear it.  I'd be upset by it though.  To me, if you don't work with your hands, and you still don't want to wear a ring, it seems like you still want to appear unmarried (whether that's the actual reason or not, that's what it seems like).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I didn't vote, just because we haven't had this conversation.  We've talked about what kind of band he wants, and he's never objected so he seems to want to wear one.  Though, if he had some reason why he didn't want to I wouldn't make him.
  • Options
    We haven't discussed it, but I leave my ring at home when we're playing softball or if I'm eating greasy/messy food. So I would probably just expect that FI would do the same thing.
  • Options
    Yes, I gave him a choice. 

My dad, uncles (both sides of the family), grandfather (mom's) didn't have wedding rings so I've never associated wearing a ring meaning you are married.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    It never came up as a possibility for us, he's just as excited to get his wedding band as I am! If he had suggested not wearing one though, I would be very upset. The symbolism behind weddings rings is very important to both of us.
  • Options
    My FI is a chef and never wears jewelry at all, and has told me almost since we got together how much he hated rings. To be honest, I assumed he wouldn't want one, and after we got engaged he mentioned that we needed to go ring shopping for him, which surprised me. I told him that he absolutely didn't HAVE to get one (and I won't lie, after he pretty much melted the skin off of half his hand last year, the vision of a ring being involved in that definitely had an effect on me), but he said he wanted one. He seems very excited about it, and I'm excited that he's excited, but it wouuldn't have mattered to me if he didn't want one either... although if he hadn't wanted one, and ever switched professions I probably would bring it up to him again =P
    Rocking the Dress with my Bestie
    Vacation
    Married Bio
    Day Zero / Blog
  • Options
    I think the wording of the poll is a little misleading so I didn't vote.  Like many others, it never came up, but if he'd expressed a desire not to wear a ring that would be fine with me.  He's much more excited about having a wedding ring than I expected, actually (but I'm sure that will wear off).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Unfortunately, my H is not allowed to wear his to work due to safety reasons. So therefore he only wears it on the weekends or when we go out somewhere on a weeknight.
  • Options
    Mine was so excited about getting a ring that I eventually got him a basic silver claddagh ring to wear as an engagement ring until we marry.  I thought he'd wear it only on occasion, but he wears it even more than I wear my engagement ring - because his is only basic and he won't be able to wear it with his wedding ring, he's not so worried about damage as I am with mine so wears it when we horseride and in the shower and so on.  So I didn't need to give him the option of a wedding band, he made his own feelings very clear. ;)
    You may very well be well-bred, Lots of etiquette in your head - But there's always some special case, Time or place to forget etiquette.
  • Options
    I answered no in the poll, but I agree it is poorly worded.

My H wanted a ring.  He likes jewelry, and was excited to pick his out.  But, if he'd ever said he didn't want to own/wear a ring, it wouldn't have bothered me.  I don't need him to wear a piece of jewelry for me to feel married.
  • Options
    I gave H a choice.  He's a mechanic and I was afraid of him getting it caught on something while working and injuring himself.  He was more afraid of losing it.  We both thought he would only wear it when he wasn't at work or traipsing around in the woods (he hunts and fishes).  However, he decided a few weeks after the wedding that he liked wearing it and would wear it all the time.  His choice, not mine.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    My FI has a military background and has a buddy who lost a finger in Iraq due to afreak shell casing/ring-related accident.  Since then, he's never worn any jewelry.  I fully expected that he wouldn't want to wear a ring and was fine with that, but I hoped we could come up with some meaningful symbol between the two of us - a tiny tattoo or maybe something he could carry in his wallet.

But he totally surprised me.  He's psyched about the whole idea.  How sweet!  We've agreed, though, that if he goes back into the service, the ring goes on the chain with his dog tags.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I also didn't do the poll. Fiancé has a ring but will not wear it to work. At first it upset me when he told me he wont wear it. The more we talked about it, he is a police office and it is more for my protection than his not wanting to wear it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_did-give-fianc-choice-of-whether-not-wear-wedding-ring?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:61c61057-56c1-4b9b-8877-f4f1f997baa1Post:3f4946ae-9715-4cc9-b2ac-73946733677c">Re: Did you give your fiancé a choice of whether or not to wear a wedding ring?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It never came up, but I would have had no issue if he didn't want to wear one.  It's his choice.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

This, plus neither of us wear our rings anymore.  He lost his and we never replaced it, and it turns out that I'm allergic to mine.
  • Options
    Mine wants to wear one. He wears watches so I though of giving him one of thsoe but he said he'd rather have the ring. 

I think Prince William wearing one is irrelevent everyone knows he's getting married it's not like you can miss it it's all over the TV and such so even if he didn't wear one you'd know!
    Welcome - to the 'Hall'way
  • Options
    Never came up with us until now. I just asked my FI if he'd still wear the ring if he had a choice and he said "probably".
  • Options
    My FI is a fireman, so there are definite hazards if he were to wear his ring to work. As such, we will get him a ring for social events, but he will have a tattoo on his ring finger to act like a ring when he isn't wearing his ring. I may get a tattoo as well although mine would be really thin so you couldn't see it under my ring. He likes the idea of a tattoo :)
  • Options
    Luckily, FI wants to wear one.  He enjoys it, and can't imagine not wearing one.  He does do some landscaping, so I told him that I was okay if he didn't want to wear it for those jobs.  In his previous marriage, he lost 3 rings doing landscaping, and I don't want that to happen again.  I told him he could give it to me for safekeeping while he worked if he wanted to.

I would probably have a problem if he didn't want to, yes.  If he wants to be married to me, then he needs to not be afraid to let the world know he's married.  No ring is the same as wanting to give the impression of being single.

Can't wear a ring is different than not wanting to, IMHO.
  • Options
    Afer I got my E-Ring my man said "If you get a ring now, so should I!" So we went and got him one. Now he is super excited about his wedding band.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards