Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

IF WE ELOPE IN VEGAS CAN WE HAVE A RECEPTION WHEN WE GET HOME?

I'm not sure if its acceptable to still have a traditional reception if we elope in Las Vegas.  My fiance and I are up to our ears in wedding stuff and are seriously thinking of getting on a plane and heading to Vegas.  But, I don't want to rob my Mom of 'her' reception.  Does anyone have any advice at all?

Re: IF WE ELOPE IN VEGAS CAN WE HAVE A RECEPTION WHEN WE GET HOME?

• Options
    We had a vegas wedding and an at home reception
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010
    Of course you can.  It doesn't mean that people won't find it objectionable.

And I'm just going to speak as a mom here:  It would completely crush me not to watch my children at their ceremony.  I would crawl across hot coals laced with broken glass to be at my kids' weddings.

So if one of them eloped, the reception wouldn't mean anything to me, because I wasn't included in the important part.

Please, think about your parents and whether this would break their hearts to miss your wedding ceremony.

ETA:  The ceremony is the easier and less expensive part.  If you're up to your ears in wedding "stuff", I'm thinking that it might be reception related.  Then how does eloping but still having a reception make it better?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Yes, you can have an at home reception. Just be honest with everyone.

But your mother might be caught up in the wedding & be upset if you elope. Personally, I think a ceremony is personal and that parents get to wrapped up in it being for them. Many people want to elope, but decide against it b/c their parents get upset. Do what works for you. Just understand that you can do whatever you want, but you have to live with the repercussions.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    I agree with the poster who said the hardest part of planning the wedding is the reception. If you elope, you take the easiest part away.
    Amanda and Eric Gettin' married 10/10/10
  • Options
    My parents eloped when they were married. My Mom was the only girl though, so my Grandma REALLY wanted to throw a reception. Basically, my Grandma took care of everything and it came off really nice. It's true, that the reception itself take the majority of the planning but it doesn't have to be that way. Focus on what is most important to you guys and cut all the frustrating stuff out. This is YOUR wedding/reception, you should do it in a way that works best for you guys. :] Good luck!
  • Options
    I understand your frustration, but as PP said, the ceremony is the easiest, smaller part of the "wedding day".    I plan on having an "at home" reception, but my family lives on the West Coast (WA/OR) and my FI and I are getting married in NC, where I now live.  We are having the wedding/reception out here, then flying home a couple weeks later to see my family/have a mini-honeymoon/reception for those who are unable to fly out here for the wedding.

It will all work out OK!  Take a day off from planning and do something fun!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2010
    I think you've really got two separate questions:

1.  Would it be bad if we elope to Las Vegas?

It would be if it would upset the people you care about the most.  However, if you take care of those people (e.g., by having at least immediate family with you in Vegas), it's fine.

2.  If we elope, can we still have an at-home reception?

Yes, definitely.  In fact, it was kind of the traditional way for a couple who had eloped to try to reestablish a cordial relationship with the family.
  • Options

Absolutely you can! Thats what we're doing. In 2 weeks were going to Vegas and coming home and having a bbq picic kinda deal. It won't be a big fancy reception but its what we like...  You do whatever it is you want - its YOUR day (well you and your future husband)

Anniversary
  • Options
    um......no.

my friend got married in vegas (we were all invited but none of us could afford to go).  When she came back they had a big reception in their backyard. It was still great.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Indeed you can. :)

My Aunt (the family Matriarch) told me that if the FI and I wanted a private ceremony she would insist there be a reception after. The rest of the family agreed. We are personal people and even with a open ceremony we're keeping it small. But it seems there's no escaping the Grand Entrance. 
    Wedding planning land is not friendly to feminists.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards