Wedding Party
Options

BM & Tux clashing.

My girls are wearing short navy blue dresses. FI wants the boys to wear tuxes. So here's my problem.. Can the girls wear navy and the guys wear black? NOOO!! right? That's way too dark. Someone back me up here.Can the boys wear navy? I'm worried about navy tuxes because what if they don't match exactly and end up clashing?!Can the boys wear gray? I tried to talk FI into gray suits but he really wants tuxes. Are there really gray tuxes out there? My idea was this line up:navy navy navy white navy gray gray gray(can you picture it?)I also read on here that tuxes don't go well with short dresses?! Why not?
imageimageimage

Re: BM & Tux clashing.

• Options
    Actually, you're incorrect.Navy and black are neutrals and 'go' with each other without any issue.  If your FI wants the guys in black tuxes, it's perfectly fine.Tuxes go fine with short dresses as long as the dress itself is formal. 
  • Options
    Black tux go with every color.  Navy included.Suits go with short dresses, not tux
  • Options
    OOT, help me out here.  I understood that a formal dress was ok with a tux even if it's not long length.  I guess you need to slap me around. 
  • Options
    I think that will look pretty. Don't make the guys get navy tuxes. that will look bad!
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    [url]<a href="http://tinyurl.com/mnfakj" rel='nofollow'>http://tinyurl.com/mnfakj</a>[/url][url]<a href="http://tinyurl.com/mu4wd8" rel='nofollow'>http://tinyurl.com/mu4wd8</a>[/url]
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    Black and navy are fine. My favorite shoes are navy and I wear them with a black dress most of the time. If I can pull it off on one body then you can on seperate people.
  • Options
    My sister's bridesmaids wore navy dresses and the guys wore black tuxes. It looked good.
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I didn't even know they had navy tuxes.  I think there's a reason for that.  I would go with the black tuxes.  If you want navy then maybe they could wear the black tuxes with navy vests or something similar.  I think the tuxes will be fine with short dresses as long as the dresses look formal.  If you're having them wear cotton navy sundresses the tuxes wouldn't be a great idea, but if they're wearing satin, silk, beaded dresses, or something along those lines, the tuxes should be okay. 
  • Options
    Our guys wore black tuxes and our girls wore navy dresses.  Gasp!PIB.
  • Options
    My girls are wearing knee length navy dresses and the guys are wearing black tuxes with green vests - it'll look fine. Tuxes pretty much 'go' with anything
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Black tuxes will be just fine.  But to answer your other question:  yes there are gray tuxes.  My SIL and his WP for gray Calvin Klein tuxes at their wedding 3 weeks ago.Please remember that it is your FI's wedding too.  He should have the say in what he and his WP wear on the day he's married.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Black tuxes match everything. That's why they've been in style for so long. If black tuxes truly clashed with other color dresses, then they wouldn't be very popular. Black is neutral. Don't forget that the groomsmen will not be standing next to the bridesmaids all night. They only need to complement each other, not "match." There's a difference between complementing and matching. As long as the BM dresses are somewhat formal (that's more to do with fabric type, cut and style than the actual length), they are fine to pair with tuxes. Short silk dresses would be fine, but tuxes would look dumb with cotton sundresses. Like PP said, the men's attire is your FI's call. If he wants black tuxes, then that's what he gets. I think navy tuxes would just look silly (too MUCH navy), and grey tuxes are less formal and really more for a morning wedding and/or casual wedding.
  • Options
    That's what we're doing for our wedding. It looks great. Get on DB website and do the Dress your wedding application, you can see all different looks, but I think it looks great and classy without looking somber.
  • Options
    that's true - i never thought to use the davids bridal tool for that.  i just feel like it will be too dark.  me and the flower girl will stick out in our white dresses lol.  unless the boys wore light blue vests and the girls had a sash or something to lighten it up...?
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    That's the point though.  You're supposed to stick out as the only one in white.  :-)
  • Options
    unless the boys wore light blue vests and the girls had a sash or something to lighten it up...?My personal thoughts on that are that colored vests look good when the guys have their jackets on (they "pop" under the black jackets), but at the reception the guys are just walking around in light-colored vests since they typically take their jackets off. I dunno, I just think colored vests are better for the prom. I personally like guys in neutral vests, but obviously that's personal preference. The BP members won't stand next to each other for the whole day, and the photographer should know how to properly use lighting to make things look good, so IMO I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt it'd look too dark. Although I went to one wedding where the BMs wore black, and the GMs were in black tuxes with silver vests & ties. I thought that was a nice, sophisticated look that made things look a little brighter. Maybe silver or champagne vests would work for you?
  • Options
    I think a gray tux would look great with a navy blue vest to match the girls. We are going with gray since the girls are wearing dark purple. Go to Jimsformalwear.com they have dealers for rentals all over the country. http://www.jimsformalwear.com/tux332.htm A tan tuxedo might look nice too. But again black is fine, if you just wanted to lighten up the color palette you could look at these other colors. If you are wearing a white dress you certianly will stand out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards