Wedding Party
Options

Did I plan my wedding wrong? A poll of sorts.

Who helped pick out your..

venue? menu? favors? cake flavors? invitations? colors? dress? photographer?
musicains?

here are my answers.

venue?  well my parents paid for the bulk of the wedding.  Being OOT I had them pick out 3 places on the beach, they could afford for the amount of guests on our list.  DH and I made the final pick from those choices.

menu? mom, dad, DH and I

favors? DH and I

cake flavors?  DH and I

invitations?  Me mostly.  mom and DH had opinions along with my sister. 

colors? DH and I.  I wanted purple.  He hates purple. We compromised.  Brown dresses with purple accents.

dress? mom, sister and I went shopping

photographer? me

musicains? me

Oh, my sister  and I did have some random IM'ing sessions about the wedding. It was nothing scheduled.  Just happend to be online at the same time and just got into it.

I keep hearing people complaining about BMs not helping with planning stuff.  I just shake my head because it never occured to me to even ask them to help pick that stuff out. 

Am I the only one who thought DH, myself and my parents (due to their checkbook) were the only ones needed to be apart of the planning?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Did I plan my wedding wrong? A poll of sorts.

• Options
    You totally effed yourself, L.  You could have totally put all this on your BMs and sat on your duff sipping Bacardi.  I mean it is spelled bridesMAID which means they work for you, duh.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_did-plan-wedding-wrong-poll-of-sorts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:9a6aaf0d-46d6-459c-bb05-9a34415ae825Post:c6177327-90d6-4541-b2fb-53c7cdba2766">Re: Did I plan my wedding wrong? A poll of sorts.</a>:
    [QUOTE]You totally effed yourself, L.  You could have totally put all this on your BMs and sat on your<strong> duff sipping Bacard</strong>i.  I mean it is spelled bridesMAID which means they work for you, duh.
    Posted by Mrs.B6302007[/QUOTE]

lol.   I somehow did still found time to sip on some Cruzan Rum during all my planning (cruzan is the local VI rum)

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    venue? me

menu? me

favors? me again

cake flavors? shockingly, me

invitations? me with FI input at the end

colors? Me.

dress? Me, MOH and my mom

photographer? me

musicains? knock knock. It's me again.
  • Options
    venue? My local board, mainly.  FI and I narrowed it down together.
    menu? We gave the caterer a price, he gave us a menu.  FI's going to the tasting with one of the groomsmen (I can't get the time off work), they'll finalize it then.
    favors? Skipping!
    cake flavors? These haven't been finalized yet, but it'll be me and FI.
    invitations? MOH and I IMed a lot about these, trading links while I was initially looking.  I found one I liked, did a mockup in our colors, and ran it by FI.  I'm making them this week, and may see if anyone wants to help me stuff envelopes when they're ready.  I don't think I need the help, though, I only have about 30.
    colors? All FI's idea.  He suggested the black and white even before we brought up our own wedding, and I never considered another combo.
    dress? MOH and one of my BMs.  MOH actually stuffed me into a wedding dress long before I was interested in looking.  (The two of them very nearly talked me into something I didn't want, for the record.)
    photographer?  I pretty much figured out right away that I'd be using a certain acquaintance who's in the biz.  My sister (a BM), who's closer to him than I, talked him into lowering his price for me so I could afford him.  FI and I met with him and signed the contract.
    musicains?  BIL offered to DJ, but we're going the iPod route.  FI and I are putting together the playlists, with input from the guests via a form on our website.  BIL will likely be keeping an eye on the sound and doing necessary announcements.

MOH and I talked a lot about the wedding when I was in the early stages, mainly through IM while trading links.  Then she got preggers, her husband lost his job, and I got a better handle on things, so we haven't talked about the details in a few months.  All of my family and WP except for the two who went dress shopping with me live out of state, so I don't really expect them to be super involved.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options

venue? FI and I visited all of the contenders together and decided on the winner together. I asked my local board for reviews and researched everything on Google as well.

menu? We didn't do this yet but it'll probably be the two of us.

favors? My mom offered suggestions and help, but we're undecided on what we want to do (if anything).

cake flavors? haven't done it yet, but FI and I will likely be the only ones.

invitations? me and FI

colors? I suggested one color scheme, FI made a suggestion on how to tweak it (swap out brown for black), the end.

dress? Mom came to two appointments, BM and MOH each came to one. MOH was supposed to come to a second but had to bail out at the last minute.

photographer? me and FI. I e-mailed some photography hobbyist friends for opinions on photographers' websites since they have a better eye for photos than me, but they didn't go to appointments or anything with me.

musicians? I booked the DJ, and my parents might help with selecting the ceremony organist/singer

I don't like getting a lot of people involved in OUR wedding. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and all that.

Plus, these things were all fairly easy to do. I honestly don't see why people "need" help - having second opinions can oftentimes help, especially with dress shopping, but if you're at the point where you NEED help, you're either (a) making things entirely too difficult and need to scale back, or (b) someone who probably can't function in everyday life.
  • Options
    My sister is my closest friend and is my MOH.  She actually did do some stuff with me, though she did it because she volunteered, not because I asked her to. 

venue?
    DH, me and my parents (they contributed $)

menu?
    DH and me, with approval from my parents

favors?
    We skipped them.  I think I made that call without discussing it with anyone

cake flavors?
    DH, MOH and me.  MOH volunteered for that one right off the bat.  She has a bit of a sweet tooth.

invitations?
    I designed and printed them on my own.  A group helped with assembly, including my mom, my MOH and a BM and another friend.  They all volunteered when they heard there would be free wine in it for them.  (I asked mom to help.)

colors?
    Me.

dress?
    Mom, MOH, me

photographer?
    DH and me

musicains?
    DH
  • Options
    venue? Well, we don't have a lot of options in our small town, but really it was a no brainer. We knew we were getting married in our home church, so it was an easy decision.

menu? FI and I decided that together, with our caterer. She laid out menus and recipe books and we just each picked what we wanted. We verfied with our families what they would like, and it was all good. That was a fun one.

favors? I did this one myself, and it's kinda a surprise to FI. He loves fortune cookies, so I'm ordering take out boxes and filling them with the cookies. I'll assemble the boxes a few days before the wedding, so I'll probably ask my mom to help.

cake flavors? We did this one on our own, our cupcake lady just had a huge list of stuff, and we made up a few of our own (like the smores and peanut butter cup).

invitations? I did this one all myself. This was like the only one I pulled martial law on, haha, since I was paying for them and didn't like the ones he liked. :D

colors? Me
    dress? My mom, grandmom, and BM went with me, and I ended up getting their choice of dress.
    photographer? Me
    musicains? Me
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options

venue? I did online research and FI and I visited and picked together

menu?  FI and I, and the caterer helped us develop from our ideas. I found her through reviews on my local board

favors? none yet.. maybe none at all

cake flavors? FI and I wll be deciding this

invitations? I tried desiging last night and failed miserably. Fi is designing. that's his area of expertise

colors? I suggested purple, FI Ok'd it. We both like green and ivory accents

dress? Me. I went shopping with 2 friends who arent in the WP, and don't want to be. They really like clothes shopping and fashion and I asked for their help because I like neither of those things. Mom and sisters are all out of state and we don't have any time together in Austin before the wedding.

photographer? Me, with approval from FI. So far, I think we are using a friend. If that doesn't work, we will choose together.

musicians? the DJ comes with the venue. The have rave reviews on my local board and its one less vendor to interview.

FWIW, I am sharing this info with my MOHs (sisters) when they ask about it. they have both offerred to help any way they can. My mom has offerred to sew the FG dress, but I did not ask any of them to do anything but show up in something pretty, I have 4 close in-town friends that are not interested in being in the BP, but have offerred to help me with any DIY projects I want to take on. Two have been married (one twice) and they love planning parties (I don't) so their input is invaluable.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    venue? My local board gave some recs, then I picked based on cost, location, etc.
    menu? Haven't decided yet, but FI and me are picking based on the tastings we went to and cost.
    favors? This was all me (and one of the things I'm most excited about!)
    cake flavors? Haven't decided yet, but it will definitely be FI and me deciding!
    invitations? This is me and my sister (BM), who is going to school for graphic design, so she is helping me a bit with the design.
    colors? This was all me.
    dress? My friend (MOH) and sister (BM) came with me to look at some the first time, and my Mom came with me when I actually bought it.
    photographer? This was all me as well.
    musicains? I found our DJ through our local board's recs.

My MOH is planning on helping me find a salon that will be willing to open early. She completely volunteered to do this when I mentioned it in passing once. I would never have dreamed of asking (or demanding) her to do this for me.
    My FMIL helped me make handmade jewelry for the BM, but it was because she offered to help and I knew she had made jewelry before so I asked if she would be interested. She totally was way into it too, so I'm pretty sure she was happy to help.
    I have also bounced ideas off of my sisters when they are online, but nothing major.
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Let's see:
    Venue: FI and me
    Menu: FI and me
    Favors: FI and I decided not to do these
    Cake flavors: FI and me
    Invitations: FI and me
    Colors: FI and me
    Dress: my mom and me
    Photographer: FI and me
    Musicians: FI

I like to brag about my FI because he actually helped plan the wedding, he never once said "whatever you want".  One of the many reasons I love him :)
  • Options
    Venue? FI and I.

Menu? FI and I.

Favors? Still haven't completely decided this yet, but this will be me. My aunt owns a pottery, ceramics business and offered to do favors for my over Christmas, but I really don't want her to do all that work. I want my wedding to be a fun day to look forward to, not a chore. 

Cake flavors? Me,Me,Me I'm really into the cake.

Invitations? FI and I have been working on putting together a rough draft and eventually we'll be assembling them...

Colors? More me than FI.

Dress? Just my mom and I.

Photographer? FI and I.

Muscians? FI and I picked out the DJ together. I found the harpist for the ceremony.

<side note /> My sister (MOH) is going to go to my florist appointment with me after the New Year. She worked at a florist for a long time, so this is something that is definitely up her alley and she wants to be at. She's also been really interested in what is going on with the wedding. As for my other bridesmaids, they haven't really been interested much at all, and that is cool. I don't really understand all of these girls having breakdowns over there bridesmaids. It is pretty interesting reading material though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to Did I plan my wedding wrong? A poll of sorts.:
    ]Who helped pick out your.

.venue?  Combination of bride & groom and both moms

menu?  Bride and groom with some imput from MOB

favors?  candy bar, MOG's idea

cake flavors? Bride & groom with brides parents

invitations? Bride & MOB

colors? Bride

dress?  Bride & MOB.  accompanied by 2 BMs at each salon

photographer? Bride

musicains? Bride chose church music and a harpist for the cocktail time.  I hired the band..

Bridesmaids helped the bride assemble programs and tie them with a pretty bow and helped with the STDS, stamping and mailing mostly.
  • Options
    venue?  
    Me & H

menu? 
    Me & H

favors? 
    N/A, but H & I were the ones discussing them.

cake flavors?  
    Me & H

invitations?  
    Mom & I went to look, then H & I went to pick.

colors? 
    Me, mostly.  A little input from mom & sis.  H didn't care.

dress? 
    Me, mom, sis.

photographer? 
    Me & H 

musicains? 
    We had a DJ, and H & I picked him.

I did email photos of 2 pairs of shoes I was considering for myself to my sis for her input.  And mom & I did the florist together.  The rest was me & H.  And after sis bought her shoes (she was MOH), she showed them to me.

I emailed my bridesmaids a few times - dress info, suggestions on places to get inexpensive shoes, what I wanted them to wear in shoes (matching color in any style/heel they liked or wanted).  I emailed 'em with the flower info once it was set, just 'cause I was excited about it.  And I emailed 'em when I won our flight to Ireland for the honeymoon, just 'cause I was ecstatic and telling ALL my friends.

One BM emailed me & the others about going for pro hair if they wanted - no one else took her up on it; she was the only one with pro hair.

That's it.  And it was fun.
  • Options
    venue? me and FI
     menu? me and FI, with some suggestions from my mom
     favors? me and FI, in spite of advice from my mom
     cake flavors? me and FI ... and just about everybody we know that said "Pick something edible", lol
     invitations? me and my mom (FI said "Something we can DIY")
    colors? me ... FI pretty much said "No pink ... aside from that, you know I'm colorblind".
    dress?  me, my mom and grandma
    photographer? the venue actually (We got a package with them where they picked our DJ and Photog ... but FI and I selected that package together)
    musicains? Also the venue-since they picked our DJ (Again, FI and I did decide to pick this package, though)

My sisters and FI's sister pretty much wanted to see everything after it was picked, but they really didn't want to be stuck in David's Bridal for hours while I scrutinized shades of blue or whatever ... they didn't even really want to pick their own dresses they pretty much individually said "Keep it under $200, knock yourself out".

Though, I'm not going to lie, I'd be the same way about being a BM. The women in my family are not big into shopping.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    venue? Mom & FI. I lked three venues equally. They picked the same one, and that's the one we went with. (Mom is contributing)

menu?   The place we picked had an all inclusive menu. It made things easy

favors?  Haven't even thought about those yet

cake flavors? My mom will. Neither Fi nor I like cake, but this is the thing she most cares about so she can make it whatever flavor, as long as Fi and I pick what it looks like. He is actually more opinionated about this than I am.

invitations? MOH. She does this for a living, and knows what I want. She will order everything and design with Fi and I's approval, and I will caligraphy and assemble them.

colors? FI. Before we were engaged, he said "I really want our wedding to be black and white"  And so it will be.

dress? My MOH and my mom are coming with me to an appointment next week. I got an idea to go look at one place tomorrow, a friend  (not BM) asked what I was doing, I told her, she offered to come, I accepted.

photographer? This one was easy. Fi and I loved a friend's wedding photos. Decision was easy.

musicains? Came with venue and church. No one got to decide those.

My BMs are all wedding/party people and are genuinely very interested. There really isn't that much to do right now, so other than answering their questions, I really have nothing to involve them in. 3 of the BMs want to go look for dresses for them soon, so we will. One BM owns a boutique and wants to order shoes and jewelry. She asked the others independently if they were okay with that, they were and so am I, so she can pick whatever looks nice if she wants. It saves them all money so everyone wins.

Most things I like, I run by Fi, and then we go from there. My mom is contributing, so she gets a say, and whatever my BMS want to be involved in, they can. I don;t see why people get so worked up over it.

Photobucket
  • Options
    venue? one of my bms had just got married and was all in wedding mode so she gave me all kinds of recs, but it was me and dh who found the venue.

menu? me, DH, and my dad who LOVES to eat and was helping financially

favors? me and DH

cake flavors? me, but my bm and mom came along to get free cake.

invitations? me and DH

colors? me 

dress? Me

photographer? my bridesmaid had already hired her and I liked her work so I booked her....so I didn't really have to work on that one.

musicains? my dad. We had never even heard the band until our first dance.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    venue?  DH and I

menu?  DH and I

favors?  Just me 

cake flavors?  DH and I

invitations?  Me again - a friend did give me really good advice/feedback which I followed, however

colors?  They just "happened," but DH and I both liked them

dress?  I worked with a seamstress to have it made

photographer?  Wedding planner found him, and we approved

musicians?  Same as above

• Options

ExpatPumpkin- I just stalked your Bio and your wedding is amazing, seriously beautiful.

Photobucket
  • Options
    venue? I picked out a list of places and then DH and I went to all of them and decided together. We also showed my parents when we had narrowed it down to our final 3 choices, so that we could make sure they liked all the possibilities. =)
    menu? DH and I went to the tasting together, but our budget pretty much determined out menu. 
     favors? DH had the idea, and I loved it so that worked out well. 
    cake flavors? DH and I 
    invitations? that was all me. 
     colors?Again, all me. 
     dress? went shopping w/ mom and 2 sisters, but i ultimately made the decision
    photographer? me

I never asked anyone for help because I'm one of those people that wants to do everything herself so it turns out the way I want. =)
    musicains? DH had someone in mind, so we used him. 
  • Options
    venue? I e mailed about 100, saw prices, who offered the best discounts, looked at pictures... and from all of that came away with our venue. I visited with FI to make sure we liked it in person, and we both fell in love. I later brought my mom and dad because they were paying for the PP at our reception.

menu? FI and I picked it all

favors? N/A

cake flavors?  FI and I, although we didn't taste it. Cake came with, so we just chose.

invitations? My MOH and I... but to be fair, she is my sister, and  she is the one who made the invites as a gift to FI and I. Her business is making wedding invites... so...

FI helped though when we had moc up's.

colors? I gave FI two options, purple or blue, he liked blue, so I went with that

dress? Mom, MOH (sister) and FMIL all went together

photographer? me

musicains? me
  • Options
    venue? FI and I picked it. I did more research, but we'd previously discussed what we wanted and went to see all the top contenders together.

menu? FI and I

favors? Not having them

cake flavors? Both of us - two flavors, we each picked our fave. He gets credit for also picking the one my dad will most like, which I just thought was cute (it's a fruit called lucuma that's common in Chile that my dad has fallen in love with).

invitations? I did 99% of it, and FI gave final approval on the exact colors and papers once the design and text were ready.

colors? I did.

dress? My choice. The friend who was with me the day I bought it was really objective while I was deciding between two dresses, but once my mind was made up she admitted the dress I got had been her fave.

photographer? Both of us, she's my best friend in Chile and a BM plus objectively the best photog in Chile (really the only person doing photojournalistic stuff), so it was easy.

musicians? FI, his friend is a DJ and is doing our music as his gift to us.

If I'd expected my BMs to do my planning for me, I would probably have had a heart attack by now since 3 out of 4 live thousands of miles away and the 4th was out of the country traveling for 4 months!
  • Options
    venue? Mom, FI and I
    menu?
    Mom, FI, and I...Dad had a little input in regards to appetizers he wanted. (A family friend is head chef at the venue)
    favors? DH and I...MOH helped find the baker though since she worked with her...
    cake flavors? Mom, DH, and I....the cake and groomscake were both made by my parents' neighbors
    invitations? MOH and I picked them out when we were at Michael's one day, DH and I printed them, MOH helped tie some ribbons, I addressed and mailed them
    colors? DH...MOH and I had picked a couple colors we liked when we tried on dresses, but DH didn't like them, so he picked something he did like and we went with that (wine)
    dress? Mom and I
    photographer? Mom and I (he was another neighbor of my parents')
    musicains? Mom and I found the jazz trio for ceremony and cocktail hour, MOH found the DJ (a brother of one of her friends)

My MOH helped with lots of stuff, but because she wanted to, not because I expected it.
    imageimage
    BFP 5/2/11, missed m/c, D&C 6/13/11
    BFP 12/8/11--Little Girl E Born 8/22/12
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    venue?
    FI and I chose the venue - a DW at a place very special to us.

menu?
    FI and I opted for an a la carte dinner (menu prices removed) following the ceremony. We realized quickly once we started talking that we are not keen on picking what people are limited to eat :)

favors?
    FI and I opted to not have favours, instead we are providing each of our guests a fairly generous gift (very small guest list and no bridal party, so it seemed reasonable)

cake flavors?
    Neither FI and I like cake, so we are skipping the cake. If people want cake they can order it from the menu :)

invitations?
    FI handled the invitations (paper, wording, sealing, mailing). He just ran it by me.

colors?
    We don't have a colour theme. I ran my preference for flower colours by FI, and he checked with me on the colour for his attire, and that is about it. We just let the resort handle the colours for the ceremony room (which will be rather neutral).

dress?
    Me. Went shopping alone.

photographer?
    We opted not to have a pro photographer; and no pictures during ceremony. We asked FI's sister to take pictures before and after ceremony though and there are a couple other amateur photographers in our guest list too.

musicians?
    No musicians. We are not having a traditional reception. We did select the music together for the ceremony and such however, and FI is actually making the playlist.

We actually don't HAVE BM's or GM's, live far away from our families & friends and paying for it on our own, so it seemed to make sense for us to really handle it all on our own.
  • Options

Venue: FI and I picked out

Menu: FI and I

Cake: FI and I and we had the same idea for flavor ect.

Favors: mainly me, FI had input

Colors: I originaly wanted black and white, FI did not like that so we chose champagne and chocholate brown together

Music- Me I was very picky about this one

Decor- Me and one of my bridesmaids the FI had input and was pretty much open to whatever I liked.

Invitations were both of us, I came up with a few idea's and he helped ne pick from there.

I haven't asked my BM's to do much. They have all offered, but its all pretty much under control. Once it gets closer I know that I will need help assembling the centerpices and favors so I may ask for help then.

MOH and I went and narrowed down the dress choices and they all liked what we picked. Then we all agreeed on flip flops for their shoes, and they can do whatever they choose with hair and makeup. I trust them and think that they should feel comfortable, and not be a twin that day (well anymore than they already willl be)

the dress: I only took my aunt (she was paying for it and is pretty much my 2nd mom) and my cousin who is very honest and fashon savy. Didn't want 5 different opinons when I was making such a big choice. I think my BM's were releived that they didn't have to take part in that.

Parents (well his, my mom passed away 6 1/2 yrs ago and my dad is not involved) haven't had much say, except with the guest list, which we told them they will have to help with if they wanted the extra people invited. So they are now helping to pay for the food. They live in Hawaii and we are in NV so its kinda hard for them to be involved when they wont be here tilll the week of the wedding.

I think that its important to ask for help when you feel that you need it but not to dump it all on your attendents and family. After all this day is all about you and your future hussaband and your relationship. Your tastes, and chocies, not what everyone else thinks or wants you to do.

We have had a few family members, like aunts and uncles who felt then need to tell us that we HAD to do things a certian way. We nicely stated that we had everything under control and that was not the way that we would be doing things. We they didn't get the hint, we expalined that we were paying for the bulk of this ourself and that if they think we should do it  certian way then they were more than welcome to help pay for it. They pretty much decided to let us continue to do it out way and haven't mentioned anything since.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have planned everything myself with FI.
  • Options
    venue?  DH and I

menu? DH and I

favors? me

cake flavors?  DH and I

invitations?  Mostly me.  I snuck to the invite store early and picked what I wanted.  Then, DH and I went in to look and while I showed him what I had fallen in love with, he got to flip through all the invite books before okaying what I loved, haha.

colors? DH and I, although this was the hardest decision, and we couldn't agree for a long time!

dress? Mom and I

photographer? DH and I

musicains? DH and I
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    venue? I researched venues and then took FI with me. It just so happened that my mom and one of my BMs came the day we picked the venue we have, too.

menu? Me and FI

favors? Still debating doing these.

cake flavors? Me and FI

invitations? Me and FI, though I've shown some examples to my best friend/BM.

colors? That was actually all me and FI didn't have objections. *blushes*

dress? Me and my mom

photographer? Me and FI - FI was actually REALLY into the photography.

musicains? FI is pretty much responsible for ceremony and cocktail hour musicians, and we'll probably both look at DJs.

Also, FI really wanted to do STDs, which I compromised on. I designed 3 different post cards and gave him the final say.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    venue? me - I did all the research for our DW with FI narrowing down locations and venue... 

menu? me and FI - he is PICKY when it comes to food...

favors? me and Fi - I narrowed down the choices and he made final decisions

cake flavors? me and my mom - FI doesn't like cake

invitations? me and my mom - they were on sale/clearance at Michaels

colors? me and my mom - FI just asked that he not have to wear hot pink

dress? me, with my mom there.  My dad came to see it after I bought it.

photographer? me and FI - and the photogs schedules made it easy to narrow it down to one choice!

musicains? me, FI and our wedding planner
  • Options
    I'm loving these answers - thanks to OP for posting this. I've only just started the planning, but basically we intend for everything to be me and fi. I've been running a lot of ideas by one of my BMs via IM, but fi and I are making the decisions. My mom wants to be involved in EVERYTHING and she told me that "the bride and the girls [MOB & BMs] always do most of the planning." She wants to go look at venues with me and narrow down a few choices, and then take fi to make the final decision ... she doesn't understand that he wants to come see all of them and actually be involved in his own wedding! She said most grooms don't care, but by the looks of this board there are plenty who do.

Sorry for my rant!
    Here's what I've got so far:

venue?  fi and I are discussing with some suggestions from my mom. Fi and I have been visiting them without her but she wants to come. Haven't decided whether to let her.

menu? so far fi and I have discussed a little. Decided on a buffet. Haven't picked a caterer; that'll depend on whether the venue caters.

favors? fi and I. FSIL (who is a BM) gave some input.

cake flavors?  fi and I w/ input from my mom. Fi isn't too picky on this one.

invitations?  Fi and I.

colors? Fi and I. We had input from my mom and BMs, but went with what he and I wanted.

dress? mom, sister, BM  and I went shopping. 3 other BMs wanted to come but are OOT and couldn't make it.

photographer? TBD. Mom and family friend made a suggestion but we'll see. Fi and I will make decision.

musicains? Fi and I decided to have a DJ based on mom's advice (were originally going to just do the iPod thing), but we haven't picked A DJ yet. Mom and aforementioned family friend (who is Mom of 2 BMs) gave a couple suggestions.
  • Options
    venue: FI & I and my mom
    menu: combination of FI & I and our moms (still working on this. 2nd tasting in a few weeks after which will be finalized)
    favors: not having them
    cake flavors: FI & I and cake baker
    invitations: FI & I
    colors: me
    dress: my mom & I
    photographer: FI & I
    musicians: FI & I

For all the newbs: I hope this reiterates for the 30th time that your BM's don't have to do all this stuff with you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards