Wedding Party
Options

Female Usher-What does she wear?

Need help figuring out what a female usher should wear.  Has anyone ever had a female usher and what did you have her wear?
I have already ordered all the bridesmaids dresses, which are all the same style and color, and our other usher is a male.  I'm toying with the idea of ordering a similar dress, by the same designer, same color and material, but with it being so close to the day, there could be a rush fee and I would hate to have her pay extra just because it took me forever to decide who we wanted as the second usher.
My family is telling me that the ushers are not considered part of the bridal party and no in the pictures, burt all the weddings I've been to recently have had them included at the head table and in the pictures, and they have always been wearing tuxes.  They think that the ushers would be fine wearing a suit and having her wear any nice dress (regardless of color or style), but I completely disagree with that statement because our male usher will be wearing a tux, just like the groomsmen.
What should I do with my limited time and her limited money? ANY input is greatly appreciated-thank you!

Re: Female Usher-What does she wear?

• Options
    gypsylynn2005gypsylynn2005 member
    First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I'm unsure why there is a separate role for just an usher? Not trying to be rude but I honestly haven't heard of it. :) You should only need a few people to help guests to their seats and even the groomsmen could do that and could save you the hassle of having her order something special to wear. However, I'm sure you have your reasons so to answer your question, if you have her do duties of the bridal party such as seat guests then I think she hold be dressed in the same level. If your bridesmaids are wearing full length formal gowns, she should be on par. I would feel weird thinking another guest was helping me to my seat instead of someone in the wedding party. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Xstatic3333Xstatic3333 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited February 2013
    I picked the third option, but the weddings I've seen with ushers have treated them as full bridal party members. I would definitely give her the option of matching the BMs, invite her and her SO to the RD, include her in any BP brunches, etc. It would be kind to cover her rush fee if she would like to match, given the short timeframe.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_female-usher-what-does-she-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:b57c3086-8119-4181-bf1a-e6be2d723a01Post:d2d0c86e-42e4-462f-a3e9-75e51117ae95">Re:Female UsherWhat does she wear?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I picked the third option, but the weddings I've seen with ushers have treated them as full bridal party members. I would definitely give her the option of matching the BMs, invite her and her SO to the RD, include her in any BP brunches, etc.
    Posted by Xstatic3333[/QUOTE]

We did this as well but we also gave them the option to wear whatever they wanted on the day. The chose to wear our colours.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_female-usher-what-does-she-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:b57c3086-8119-4181-bf1a-e6be2d723a01Post:d2d0c86e-42e4-462f-a3e9-75e51117ae95">Re:Female UsherWhat does she wear?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I picked the third option, but the weddings I've seen with ushers have treated them as full bridal party members. I would definitely give her the option of matching the BMs, invite her and her SO to the RD, include her in any BP brunches, etc. It would be kind to cover her rush fee if she would like to match, given the short timeframe.
    Posted by Xstatic3333[/QUOTE]

Basically this. We have a female usher (FI's friend). We've told her that she's welcome to get a dress like the BMs, something similar, or just a nice dress she already has. I believe she's just wearing a dress that sort of matches the overall wedding (Spring-y Colors). She's also invited to the RD and BM tea as wedding party.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    Ask her what she wants to wear. That's what we did with our groomswoman. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    We had a female usher. We asked that she wear a black dress of her choice. Bridesmaids wore purple and groomsmen and male usher all had grey tuxes. It was fine and pictures looked great.

See pictures in my bio link below.

Please treat your ushers as part of the wedding party not second class. We gave them nice thank you notes and gifts like the rest of the wedding party, included them for transportation, pictures, etc.
  • Options
    I would have her wear any black dress. Our ushers (who are basically just walking down the aisle with their kids) are just wearing dark pants and dress shirts (they can wear jackets too if they want). We might buy them ties so they look like more of the wedding party, but we didn't want to make them buy or rent an outfit.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards