Wedding Party
Options

Bridesmaid Dress Alterations

In addition to planning my own wedding this October I am a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding this May.

We purchased bridesmaid dresses from David's Bridal. It's a knee length strapless dress with a sweet heart neckline.

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Satin-Short-Dress-with-Pleating-F15103_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-All-Bridesmaid-Dresses

When we went it to try them on I was the only one who was going to need alterations. All it needed was a little tuck in the sides up top as it was too big in the cup area. I was told at that time it would be $22.50 for alterations When we ordered the dresses the beginning of January.

I went in on Tuesday to be fitted for the alterations and they now want to charge me $57 plus tax for the exact same alterations. The actual alteration will be $40 now because she said they would need to move boning which didn't seem necessary to me, and an extra $17 to cut the extra material that they've taken in on either side.

I've been a bridemaid in the past and every dress I get needs to be altered up top because I can't quite fill it out enough. This is my first time dealing with David's Bridal but I have never had to pay so much in alterations. The most I've paid is $39 and that was because the dress had a strap with flowers on it that all needed to be taken off and reswen on.

My girls and I also picked bridesmaids dresses from David's Bridal. The dresses we chose were all within every ones budget but I'm worried that they're going to be put out if they need alterations. Are these prices normal or would it be wise to suggest my girls take their dresses elsewhere for alterations?

Re: Bridesmaid Dress Alterations

• Options
    DB's alternations always seem outrageous. If you can, I'd go to a local seamstress.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    Can you take your dress somewhere else for a second opinion? That does sound like an awful lot.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DB alterations are overprices. . . so are all alterations at other bridal shops I have expereinced so far.  I thank God every day that my mother and her friends can sew!

I would try and find a seamstress or tailor outside of the bridal industry to do the alterations for you.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    I argued with them about the $17 fee and said not to bother cutting the extra fabric so I paid $40 plus tax. You'd think that cutting the excess matrial would be included lol. No point paying for something no one will see on a dress I will only wear once lol
  • Options
    Ditto PPs that I've heard David's pricing for the alterations is outrageous.   I'd go somewhere else if it isn't too late.
  • Options
    I'm fortunate that my mom and aunt are doing the alterations for the WP and my own dress.  But even if I didn't have them, I would never get alterations from a bridal salon.  They know that it's more convenient for people to do it all in one place, and they jack up their prices.  I agree with PP's, look for a local seamstress.  Also, ask around people in your circle.  You might have a friend of a friend who's great at sewing who'd be able to help you out!  :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards