June 2012 Weddings
Options

Grammar is not our problem on this board

2»

Re: Grammar is not our problem on this board

• Options
    New TK June 2012 motto:

We can't control the way people act, we can only control how we react to them. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_grammar-is-not-our-problem-on-this-board?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:be83c41b-1352-4aea-a6fa-54c9232f4918Post:292aee08-0f02-401f-a36d-f8937d095fe4">Re: Grammar is not our problem on this board</a>:
    [QUOTE]New TK June 2012 motto: We can't control the way people act, we can only control how we react to them. 
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]
     YAY! Perfect Kelsey!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_grammar-is-not-our-problem-on-this-board?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:be83c41b-1352-4aea-a6fa-54c9232f4918Post:292aee08-0f02-401f-a36d-f8937d095fe4">Re: Grammar is not our problem on this board</a>:
    [QUOTE]New TK June 2012 motto: We can't control the way people act, we can only control how we react to them. 
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]

More proof we need a like button (but not one linked to FB).
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I just want to comment, for what it's worth, that I spend time on a couple of other internet discussion boards too (not wedding-related), and this seems to be one of those things that happens on all of them: there are people who are regulars and post a lot and get to know each other, and then there are newbies and semi-newbies. Fairly regularly, a new person comes on and says "all you regulars are mean and rude and condescending." I've decided it's a strange function of the strange virtual social space that is the internetz - as well as that feeling you sometimes get on a new board that you're wandering into somebody else's party. But people here have seemed very welcoming to me.

Also, folks do have different styles. What one person considers rude, another considers straightforward. Have you seen what goes on over on the etiquette and invites&paper threads? Yow. You've gotta be tough to post over there.

Also, yuh, we're all super stressed right now. Deep breaths, everybody.

~T&S, who lurks more than she posts...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: Grammar is not our problem on this board:
    . ~T&S, who lurks more than she posts...
    Posted by Turtle&Star[/QUOTE]

I've been on the etiquette board and it's a lionness den over there, it's like your post is a Wilderbeast going for a drink of water then all of a sudden they all come out and attack! But anyway ppl have to understand that others might correct their grammar. I really don't care if someone corrects my grammar because I'm not changing the way I post. But sometimes correcting someone's grammar helps us readers to understand. Words can be misinterpreted so therefore the poster might get incorrect advice. For ex...the word won't and want. It needs to be used correctly when typing because I know someone who text me they "won't some candy" so my brain went WTH?? Why do you "will not some candy"? Then I realize they wanted some candy. I wasted 10 seconds of my life confused, I can't get those seconds back. Sometimes the reader cannot understand your thoughts. Stuff like that needs to be corrected so I can understand you. I think thats what the ladies are trying to convey. I understand lanuage barriers, I'm from the South where YALL, FINNA, FIXIN TO, WHO DAT, and CHIRREN are words. Although I graduated from college I still use those words. 

My best advice is don't post until you have thought things through enough. And if someone corrects your grammar and you find it offensive let them know and keep it moving because this a free website and I feel I can post whatever because I'm professional all day but at night on the internet I let my hair down and type but don't go posting all willy nilly though. 

Just my 2 cents....

• Options
    I didn't bother to read all the responses, but this board is a LOT nicer than some of the non-club boards. Put on your big girl panties and deal.
    Anniversary
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    noisulli22, what does "finna" mean? I live in NC but am not from the South originally. I'm trying to learn. :-)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_grammar-is-not-our-problem-on-this-board?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:be83c41b-1352-4aea-a6fa-54c9232f4918Post:c9e74194-e152-46bf-a57c-57f0cc0f0f44">Re: Grammar is not our problem on this board</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't bother to read all the responses, but this board is a LOT nicer than some of the non-club boards. <strong>Put on your big girl panties and deal.
    </strong>Posted by MiksChick23[/QUOTE]

Amen! I was just thinking the same thing!
  • Options
    Thank you Dani:)

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_grammar-is-not-our-problem-on-this-board?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:be83c41b-1352-4aea-a6fa-54c9232f4918Post:7472de09-1d85-4aea-b1d8-92b21d1126e1">Re: Grammar is not our problem on this board</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay ladies,   Let's stop all the arguing and get back to focusing on the wedding planning. Yes, grammar is important, and yes, we do correct grammar and language mistakes, but that is why we always suggest lurking first.  Now, <strong><em><u>let's get back to wedding planning. 
    </u></em></strong>Posted by Danidawn20[/QUOTE]
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_grammar-is-not-our-problem-on-this-board?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:be83c41b-1352-4aea-a6fa-54c9232f4918Post:ff9d160f-ce95-4d16-94a9-d7f4514b436a">Re: Grammar is not our problem on this board</a>:
    [QUOTE]noisulli22 , what does "finna" mean? I live in NC but am not from the South originally. I'm trying to learn. :-)
    Posted by Turtle&Star[/QUOTE]

<div>Well, I was actually born and raised in North Carolina, and I'm not sure what that means either. </div><div>
    </div><div>There is definitely slang in the South (even more so when you get to the deep South - especially with the Creole in New Orleans). Y'all, fixin' to (instead of going to), and we carry someone to the store instead of take them. Just because you're Southern doesn't mean you can use improper grammar. Just because I write y'all at the end of some of my sentences does not mean that they don't make sense. Ya'll know what I mean when I say "y'all." </div>
  • Options
    Born and raised in the South..  "finna" means "about to".
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Huh - I wonder if "finna" is just a contraction of "fixing to," then?

Kelsey - yeah, there's definitely regional variations within the South too. And agreed that regional dialect variations like "y'all" are not ungrammatical. Y'all actually fills in an important gap in English where other languages have a distinction between singular and plural "you." I was born and raised in the midwest, learned to use "you guys" in cases where I needed to address more than one person, and have found that I can use "y'all" in all the same ways. My sister's FI is from Baltimore and his family says "youse guys."

Uh, also, I'm kind of a language dork.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards