June 2012 Weddings

NWR: Baby Names

I have two pregnant stepsisters who are due in May and June. One is having a give and naming it Kenzie. The other is having a boy that she is naming Kartyr (pronounced like Carter).

What is it with spelling names in crazy ways these days? I don't really understand why she's spelling Carter like that, I love the name and I kind of understand the "K" since she, her husband, and her sister all have K names. But I have hard enough time with my first name (Cortney) being spelled without a u. What do you guys think about Kartyr?

Re: NWR: Baby Names

• Tbh I think it's dumb to spell it that way.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm not a fan of it but to each their own
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think there's a reason some countries have "approval boards" for baby names.

That said, this is America and I'd hate to see that restricted.  I think it's an odd spelling and the poor kid is going to have a rough time with it for the rest of his life, but there are far worse things that could happen to him. 

I do love the name Carter, or even Karter; I feel that changing the E to a Y is unneccessary, though.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • If she wanted to spell it with a K why can't she spell it Karter? Honestly Kartyr looks like someone who can't spell correctly, like a little kid wrote it. To me that spelling looks like it almost should be pronounced "cartier" But it's her child and she's the one that's going to have to correct people so different strokes for different folks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I personally think it looks like it should be a girls name.  But, to each their own.  I'd be worried their future...it's proven that resume's with names that might look less a little "weird" can be passed over for the more common "John" or "Carter".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it's mean that they're doing that to their son. No one is ever going to spell his name right. And similarly to what Jo&Lo said, I wouldn't help but pre-judge someone who had that name.
  • I think poor Kartyr is going to be nicknamed "martyr". My sister has a slightly unusual name (Marisa, though it's much more common now). She always hated that she could never find her name/spelling on trinkets at souvenir stores. I always think of that when I see a "Lindzi" or "Kamron".
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_nwr-baby-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e623f3d2-89ed-49bc-a21a-f048bd6d3652Post:0ec3bdb9-566b-441c-914d-678a613b0743">Re: NWR: Baby Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think poor Kartyr is going to be nicknamed "martyr". My sister has a slightly unusual name (Marisa, though it's much more common now). <strong>She always hated that she could never find her name/spelling on trinkets at souvenir stores.</strong> I always think of that when I see a "Lindzi" or "Kamron".
    Posted by daria24[/QUOTE]

<div>I had that problem when I was little too!!</div>
  • I don't like it. Love the name, not the spelling!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_nwr-baby-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e623f3d2-89ed-49bc-a21a-f048bd6d3652Post:435a7418-5f74-4005-b85b-3463e8ad9b6d">Re: NWR: Baby Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Baby Names : I had that problem when I was little too!!
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]

<div>Really? How else can you spell "Kelsey?"</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_nwr-baby-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e623f3d2-89ed-49bc-a21a-f048bd6d3652Post:3384cba2-7d3e-4bf3-8a6f-7d4eb066a90e">Re: NWR: Baby Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Baby Names : Really? How else can you spell "Kelsey?"
    Posted by kipnus[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing! My brother always had that issue too. "Lyle"
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_nwr-baby-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e623f3d2-89ed-49bc-a21a-f048bd6d3652Post:3384cba2-7d3e-4bf3-8a6f-7d4eb066a90e">Re: NWR: Baby Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Baby Names : Really? How else can you spell "Kelsey?"
    Posted by kipnus[/QUOTE]

<div>It just wasn't an option at all!!</div><div>I actually had never met another Kelsey until my sophmore year of college.</div>
  • I think that is really ridiculous. I can understand having it be "Karter".. but honestly for some reason with this name I think it looks femanine if you change the spelling.... I obviously LOVE the name Carter :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_nwr-baby-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e623f3d2-89ed-49bc-a21a-f048bd6d3652Post:3af80282-8b5e-46bf-93fd-d4d40beb37fa">Re: NWR: Baby Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Baby Names : It just wasn't an option at all!! I actually had never met another Kelsey until my sophmore year of college.
    Posted by kelsey+brandon[/QUOTE]

Same here! Tara was never an option and I was always sad about it.

And even now, noone can spell my name. Maybe I slur when I speak, but I always get Dara, Kara, Cara, Sara etc. Its very annoying, actually.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited January 2012
    Sounds like a name that would fit perfectly for this game we play at my work. I work in a doctors office and see all kinds of normal names spelled crazy like that. When one of us sees a name like that we ask everyone how they think it got spelled.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_nwr-baby-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e623f3d2-89ed-49bc-a21a-f048bd6d3652Post:bdb63717-259b-4c55-b569-2af675b137b4">Re: NWR: Baby Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Baby Names : Same here! Tara was never an option and I was always sad about it. <strong>And even now, noone can spell my name. Maybe I slur when I speak, but I always get Dara, Kara, Cara, Sara etc. Its very annoying, actually.
    </strong>Posted by diamondx423[/QUOTE]

No one can spell my first name and for sure not my last name. My name gets butchered when people try to say it that dont know me. A lot of people say Chel-see-a. Dumb. And when I introduce myself they think I say Jessie or Kelsey. I must slur too. haha!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_nwr-baby-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e623f3d2-89ed-49bc-a21a-f048bd6d3652Post:0ec3bdb9-566b-441c-914d-678a613b0743">Re: NWR: Baby Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think poor Kartyr is going to be nicknamed "martyr". My sister has a slightly unusual name (Marisa, though it's much more common now). <strong>She always hated that she could never find her name/spelling on trinkets at souvenir stores</strong>. I always think of that when I see a "Lindzi" or "Kamron".
    Posted by daria24[/QUOTE]

My sister was the same way. It was hard to find items that said Allyson

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't even think it looks like it would be pronounced "Carter." I don't really mind when people spell names differently most of the time though. FI has a cousin named Alyssa, but she tells everyone it's pronounced "Alicia" It drives me crazy, you can't just decide you want to pronouce your name different from how it's spelled, especially when it's actually another name!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_nwr-baby-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e623f3d2-89ed-49bc-a21a-f048bd6d3652Post:e1b9b3c4-c2af-42c7-b6b9-e0a201a81930">Re: NWR: Baby Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Baby Names : My sister was the same way. It was hard to find items that said Allyson
    Posted by ncd5015[/QUOTE]

My sister spells her name like that too. It's not a very common way to spell Allyson.

I also could never (and still can't) find my name on trinkets. I've met more Cassies as I've gotten older but they never have it anywhere. I can sometimes find cassandra (my full name) but even then that's rare.
  • When I was younger I could never find Lauren trinkets. Laura was common, but not Lauren for some reason. I hate when people spell their kids names weird. Though, FI and I will probably be guilty of non-common names. We want to name our first boy Enzo Victorio (Enzo as in Enzo Ferrari, the founder of Ferrari. Victorio's a name that's been in his family- he's Italian- so he wanted to include that. Also, it sounds good with his last name and most names don't). At least it's easy to spell? The rest of the names we have are more common- Lily Ann, James Archer, I can't think of the other ones but hopefully that's all we need haha.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • My name always gets misspelled even by posters here lol. I do think it's mean to do that to their child
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_nwr-baby-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e623f3d2-89ed-49bc-a21a-f048bd6d3652Post:d62d6a65-cb5a-4a30-bad9-1d6ba7bcaae7">Re: NWR: Baby Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Baby Names : No one can spell my first name and for sure not my last name. My name gets butchered when people try to say it that dont know me. A lot of people say Chel-see-a. Dumb. And when I introduce myself they think I say Jessie or Kelsey. I must slur too. haha!
    Posted by chelseakopperud[/QUOTE]

<div>I think people just don't listen. Sometimes I have to cover the phone's at work and when I say, Hi, this is Kelsey...I ALWAYS get, Hi Kathy. What. the. heck.</div><div>
    </div><div>Kathy and Kelsey sound NOTHING alike.</div>
  • I have friends who named their sons Oden and Nyx. I love the use of y is girls' names. But spelling Carter (or Karter) that way, seems like it's going to cause confusion and annoyance for years to come...

Follow Me on Pinterest

Visit The Knot!    Visit The Nest!   
  • LoveYouBLoveYouB member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I feel bad for all the little kids with weird spelt names.. My mom is a preschool teacher and she tells me the STRANGEST things people name the kids-its crazy! And the way they spell them is just ridiculous... I dont think a child needs to have some crazy unique spelt name to end up a unique and interesting person.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have definitely seen some interesting kid names in my day.  Personally, I kinda feel bad for them that they always have to correct the spelling or pronunciations.  IMO, I like unique names but changing the spelling of a common one like that can be annoying for the kid. I think if she spelled it with a K and left the rest of it to the popular version it would be better.  However, she can really go with whatever she wants.
  • People always pronounce my name Julian...it's annoying. I feel like I say my name clearly enough for them to understand. It's just Jill+Ian, is that hard?

And the 'G' really throws them off sometimes.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Working in the health field, I come across a slew of names that are ridiculous. My friend is a school teacher and sometimes she will share the names of her students with us. The weirdest one be far was Le-a pronounced La-day-sha. The - (dash) isn't silent.

My big pet peeve is when people take classic names and mispell them. i.e Alivia (Olivia) Fayth

I hate names that aren't really names, but words and sometimes they're even mispelled too.

Example, my friend has a nephew named Dizel pronounced Diesal and I'm sorry, but I hate this name!
    My coworker's grand daughter is named Destine but pronounced like Destiny it's pretty popular, but c'mon did you really need to spell that it way?!
  • I think it makes one look unintelligent, if it's a name not spelled consistently with the culture's spelling. I hate it, and it makes me cringe.  Kartyr more than most names unfortunately.  

I would never tell someone I hated their baby name because I understand the frustration.  

Also I want to be a teacher and it would be really effing annoying to learn a stupid spelling like that.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_nwr-baby-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e623f3d2-89ed-49bc-a21a-f048bd6d3652Post:5ed7c0c5-bd70-4c73-b39c-a0fbc91f03b0">Re: NWR: Baby Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]Working in the health field, I come across a slew of names that are ridiculous. My friend is a school teacher and sometimes she will share the names of her students with us. <strong>The weirdest one be far was Le-a pronounced La-day-sha. The - (dash) isn't silent.</strong> My big pet peeve is when people take classic names and mispell them. i.e Alivia (Olivia) Fayth I hate names that aren't really names, but words and sometimes they're even mispelled too. Example, my friend has a nephew named Dizel pronounced Diesal and I'm sorry, but I hate this name! My coworker's grand daughter is named Destine but pronounced like Destiny it's pretty popular, but c'mon did you really need to spell that it way?!
    Posted by sweet_melissa81[/QUOTE]

Have you or your friend actually seen this one in real life? That's one that I refuse to believe until something real actually proves it true. You count as real as long as you or your friend actually had a patient/student with the name. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_june-2012-weddings_nwr-baby-names?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:3ae4d68d-f10a-4dec-8810-da13c14a7b86Discussion:e623f3d2-89ed-49bc-a21a-f048bd6d3652Post:5a546b54-782e-4e6a-b6dd-f68c3976b768">Re: NWR: Baby Names</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Baby Names : My sister spells her name like that too. It's not a very common way to spell Allyson. I also could never (and still can't) find my name on trinkets. I've met more Cassies as I've gotten older but they never have it anywhere. I can sometimes find cassandra (my full name) but even then that's rare.
    Posted by Cassiebug11[/QUOTE]

<div>My sister's name is Allyson too, actually. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards