Washington-Seattle
Options

Rant: Honeymoon

We are having the hardest time choosing a location for the timeshare. I started reading reviews on tripadvisor and of course there are negatives and positives for every place. Some of the reviews are scary. Of course we will have fun wherever we go. Especially since Fi and I have never been on a trip together. I want us to have privacy and adventure. I think we have narrorwed it down to St.Kitts. St.John. St. Thomas or St. Marteen. But then other times I think do we even want to the Carribean! So hard... I think I have been doing too much reading or reviews. But I think with a timeshare, 1) the earlier you book the better (and time only keeps on ticking) and 2) at the same resort one room can be way different from another. Oh someone please offer me some insight! Thanks for listening :)

Re: Rant: Honeymoon

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm really sorry! How frustrating. FI and I thought about going out of country for our honeymoon but then we read reviews and decided to go to Hawaii.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I are using a timeshare in Hawaii - we decided to go somewhere warm but also somewhere that we wouldn't feel guilty for not getting out and seeing things or doing stuff.  We also liked the direct, relatively short plane ride - last thing I wanna do on my honeymoon is sit on an airplane/in an airport!  We're thinking we'll go somewhere exotic and exciting for our one year anniversary.I had a friend honeymoon in Jamaica and she LOVED it so go with what will make you happy!  Anywhere you go will be fabulous and you can always keep a list of places you want to see next (honeymoon - st.kitts, one year - st.marteen, 5 year - carribean cruise... and so on).  If all else fails get a map of the area and a dart :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls! Ok, I am listening about Hawaii. There are a lot of pros. Shorter flight, possibly cheaper flight, higher American standards and ammenities, no exchange rates with differnet currency, no language issues... What island and why?
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maui is a perfect blend of private beaches and bars, restaurants, stores.  I hear Kaui is very romantic.  We're using a timeshare too, but Hawaii is already booked, so we went with Cabo...cheaper food and drinks, nicer timeshare, short plane ride.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hawaii is pretty awesome. If we don't do Caribbean we're going to go to Hawaii and island hop. But I have been to Ohau, Maui, and Kauaii, and loved them all! FI and I spent 9 days in Oahu last April (where we got engaged on day 3=) ) and we didn't run out of things to do. In fact, there's a lot left on our to do list when we go back some day. I think it really depends on what you guys want to do. Oahu is more urban, because Honolulu is really city, but there's your typical islandy stuff all over too. Kauaii and Maui are more small towns, not a lot of city life. Wherever you go, I'd recommend renting a car so that you can have complete freedom to do whatever you want & to really explore the islands.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going to Maui. I like it because there is stuff to do but also a lot of natural pretty beaches too. More of a relaxing vacation and definatley rent a car :) FI has been to all the islands and prefers Maui the most. I have only been to Maui, though. Good luck!
    imageimageimage
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
    Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
    Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly? I would not do St. Kitts. Every year, FI and I alternate on who gets to pick the next vacation spot. I guess about two or three years ago he picked St. Kitts. We thought it would be awesome because it's so undeveloped. Well, we didn't really think about what that means--NOTHING to do, very divey local bars (i.e., not super tourist-friendly), etc. Also, the locals used to make most of their income from sugar plantations, but the gov't stopped that to focus on tourism. As a result, the local people are very bitter (because now the gov't makes most of the tourism money and the people make much less). They are not used to being "service-oriented" and have very negative feeling toward it. Of course we made our own fun, took a jungle tour, etc., but honestly we were more than ready to come home after 7 days, which never happens. It's a beautiful place, don't get me wrong, but really...I'd do St. Thomas.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! Well as it turns out I might not really have much of a choice. I search available exchanges for the Sunday after we get married and looked in the carribean and they only had St. Marteen. And for Hawaii they only had one place left too (it was almost double the points-so we are thinking st marteen to save them the points). I emailed my uncle to see if I should book or if he will do it asap. I am scared we are running out of options. I'm just gald we started looking when we did. Wow... 9 months out. Shows what I know about timeshare. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to St. Marteen and St. Thomas and they were both really nice. I remember St. Marteen had super white beaches with fine sand and teal water that was crystal clear- so pretty. I went there in 1994 on a cruise, so my mind is a big foggy and I was 15 then so I surely wasn't as observant as I am now. :) I don't remember having a language barrier at all. My memory is that most people speak English as it is such a popular tourist spot. Also, one thing to keep in mind is that your ground expense (food, activities) should be much lower there than in Hawaii. HTH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards