African American Weddings
Options

Hoping for some declines?

Hey ladies, I am going thru some RSVP madness over here.  Like some of you have been in the past I am now hoping for declines!  FI kept adding more and more people to the list and it got out of control.  I thought many more people would decline because both families are from out-of-state.  We were hoping to have a final guest count of 125-150 but as of right now the confirmed attendance is at 168!!!  The top of our budget is 175.  The RSVP deadline was yesterday but there are still a lot of RSVP's we are waiting on. 

Please pray for us to get some declines and be able to keep our promise to not go into debt over this wedding!  Thank you!
Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Hoping for some declines?

• Options
    MrsSmith2Be02MrsSmith2Be02 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_hoping-for-some-declines?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:b33c1587-6586-489b-b5a3-a5deae785956Post:12abaf1b-38f2-4708-acf3-d87565fe8c3f">Hoping for some declines?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey ladies, I am going thru some RSVP madness over here.  Like some of you have been in the past I am now hoping for declines!  FI kept adding more and more people to the list and it got out of control.  I thought many more people would decline because both families are from out-of-state.  We were hoping to have a final guest count of 125-150 but as of right now the confirmed attendance is at 168!!!  The top of our budget is 175.  The RSVP deadline was yesterday but there are still a lot of RSVP's we are waiting on.  Please pray for us to get some declines and be able to keep our promise to not go into debt over this wedding!  Thank you!
    Posted by SunnyBB[/QUOTE]

Hun, if I were you, cut throat as it may be, my final count would be 168. Period. Deadline was yesterday and that's your final count. Unless its your grandma or someone like that, that is it.
    image180 Made the cut!
    image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
    image 7 Found something else to do
    image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image
  • Options
    Definitely going to be praying for you. Our invites aren't out yet but we are sort of in the same situation where both families are OOT, so we felt OK about our guest list, thinking folks wouldn't want to spend the money on airline ticket, hotel, car rental etc. But you just never know! :-/
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Take it from a destination bride when the RSVP date has passed close it.  That's what I'm doing and i've emailed the few people I hadn't recieved one from but our date is monday after that too bad so sad.  I gave you a month and a week to respond. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_hoping-for-some-declines?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:b33c1587-6586-489b-b5a3-a5deae785956Post:02215f7c-f442-49bf-893f-b3009bdad0ce">Re: Hoping for some declines?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Hoping for some declines? : Hun, if I were you, cut throat as it may be, my final count would be 168. Period. Deadline was yesterday and that's your final count. Unless its your grandma or someone like that, that is it.
    Posted by MrsSmith2Be02[/QUOTE]

This!! I went by the postmark date. Anything after the deadline date received a call telling them unfortunately the missed the deadline.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_hoping-for-some-declines?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:b33c1587-6586-489b-b5a3-a5deae785956Post:02215f7c-f442-49bf-893f-b3009bdad0ce">Re: Hoping for some declines?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Hoping for some declines? : Hun, if I were you, cut throat as it may be, my final count would be 168. Period. Deadline was yesterday and that's your final count. Unless its your grandma or someone like that, that is it.

Yeah, I sent a few texts to friends this morning and if I don't hear back from them by the end of the day I'm counting them as a no.  FI still has a few aunts and uncles who need to reply so I sent him a list to have his mother confirm...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_hoping-for-some-declines?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:b33c1587-6586-489b-b5a3-a5deae785956Post:81227e6b-368b-4f3f-a9ad-9c07cb70b015">Re: Hoping for some declines?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hoping for some declines? : This!! <strong>I went by the postmark date</strong>. Anything after the deadline date received a call telling them unfortunately the missed the deadline.
    Posted by MsAmeera25[/QUOTE]

This may be a really good idea.  The mail has been really crazy for me lately, so I know some people might have sent them before the deadline but they might get to me today or tomorrow.  How did people take the calls saying they missed the deadline?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_hoping-for-some-declines?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:400Discussion:b33c1587-6586-489b-b5a3-a5deae785956Post:21fa9817-88f9-4b05-8038-0c58ce2beaef">Re: Hoping for some declines?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hoping for some declines? : This may be a really good idea.  The mail has been really crazy for me lately, so I know some people might have sent them before the deadline but they might get to me today or tomorrow.  <strong>How did people take the calls saying they missed the deadline?
    </strong>Posted by SunnyBB[/QUOTE]

I'd like to hear the response to this too....make sure I print out the script and put in my wedding notebook. LOL :)
    image180 Made the cut!
    image 129 Ready to drop it like its HOT!
    image 7 Found something else to do
    image 44 Are just plain RUDE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest November 2012 - October Siggy Challenge image
  • Options
    Also keep in mind that you will have a few RSVP "yes" and not show or call you the day before to say they are sick. Hopefully that will give you a cushion.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_hoping-for-some-declines?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:b33c1587-6586-489b-b5a3-a5deae785956Post:21fa9817-88f9-4b05-8038-0c58ce2beaef">Re: Hoping for some declines?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hoping for some declines? : This may be a really good idea.  The mail has been really crazy for me lately, so I know some people might have sent them before the deadline but they might get to me today or tomorrow.  How did people take the calls saying they missed the deadline?
    Posted by SunnyBB[/QUOTE]

<div>I caved on a few people, mainly my mom's friends who assumed I knew they were coming. But for the most part I just said hey such and such I didn't get your RSVP did you send it? Then most of them said no I forgot or some other lame excuse. And I just followed up with oh okay I just wanted to be sure since the deadline passed, unfortunately we had to let the cater know yesterday so we aren't able to add anymore people so I just wanted to let you know that way you didn't make an unnecessary drive. No one really pushed the issue. I waited a week after the date to make calls. I had about 45 ppl who didn't RSVP.</div>

• Options
    M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_african-american-weddings_hoping-for-some-declines?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:400Discussion:b33c1587-6586-489b-b5a3-a5deae785956Post:02215f7c-f442-49bf-893f-b3009bdad0ce">Re: Hoping for some declines?</a>:

<div>this</div>
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, how many invites did you send? What percentage of declines did you expect from the outset? I thought that the norm was 10%. This is a question for everyone, not just the OP. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards