July 2012 Weddings
Options

What are you beauty regimen wise to look your best?

What are you girls doing beauty regimenwise to make sure you look your best for the wedding?

Are you getting facials? using tanning beds? teeth whitening? botox? etc???

All of these things start getting pricey and wondering which couple would give me the most bang for my buck?
Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: What are you beauty regimen wise to look your best?

• Options
    I'm going to get a spray tan for the wedding (I've done it several times before and they can do it so you're not quite oompa-loompa orange) and I'm using teeth whitening trays I got from my dentist. My grandmother got me a GC for a facial which I plan on doing next time I'm in Philly. That's about it.

Actually, not to take over the thread, but I was going to ask you guys about something. My fiance thinks I'm crazy because he "fell in love with me how I look now" but it's something that has always bothered me.

I'm trying to decide on whether to get the porcelain veneers for my two front teeth. My right tooth is chipped from hitting a bump while driving and drinking a Snapple in high school (stupid) and the bonding that I've had done in the past doesn't last very long. Do you guys think it's worth it? I think it's about $1000 per tooth, but it lasts 15 years. Thoughts?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's worth it if it would make you happier and more self-confident. If it's something you always look at in the mirror and it bothers you, then I would go for it.

I've done spray tanning many times, and will probably do it again for the wedding. Don't want to be "snookie tan", but definitely going for the bronzed look. I've invested in a couple new bathing suits, all are strapless so I don't get any tan lines this summer before the wedding. They have teeth whitening you can use IN the tanning beds using the UV, and was thinking of doing that a few times. I tried it before and noticed results after one time even. I defintely want my teeth to be whiter.
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm just getting regular manicures and using crest whitestrips on my teeth (this month and then again in July).  I see a dermatologist monthly and might ask about getting a facial next time I go.  I already have brown skin so I'm more worried about getting ugly tan lines on my shoulders (I tan way too easily).
  • Options
    Yeah, I think teeth whitening goes a really long way. Did you notice that your teeth were super sensitive after doing the UV teeth whitening? I don't use tanning beds, so I wouldn't have even thought of that.

Oh - And I had a friend who got botox before her wedding. It didn't really do that much because she was 29 and didn't really NEED it (you're 29 like me, right?). She was happy she did it, but honestly I think her forehead looked a little strange. I would say that's probably something you can omit from your list of "to-do" beauty things.

I'm still debating the teeth. I've already set money aside for it, but I feel really vain about it because I'm spending SO much money on my myself with this wedding. And I just bought a Vix swimsuit from Gilt lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going to start going to a tanning bed soon. I haven't done it since high school and I don't plan on making a habit of it, but I'm assuming my wedding day will be the most photographed day of my life and I want to look awesome (obviously). 

I'm also going to try those teeth whitening strips from the drugstore, I know other girls here have mentioned they worked well for them. 

That's probably it as far as beauty regimen goes.

Bridetobe-my FI chipped his 2 front teeth when he was a kid and our dentist who specializes in cosmetic dentistry gave us a quote for porcelain veneers this year. He said that due to the extensive damage done to his teeth his insurance would pay for a portion of it. His are pretty bad though, he can't even bite into a sandwich sometimes, so I'm not sure if your insurance would be the same. I think it's worth it either way.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Bride-to-be..how bad it the chip and how big are your front teeth? Hahah I know that seems like an odd question.  When I was a kid I chipped one of my front teeth but when i had got my braces off in HS my orthodontist just filed down my two front teeth some and it make them even and took away the chip.

I am also doing the trays from my dentist.  I actually need to start them this month and I may go tanning a few times although I really try to stay away.  Other then that nothing.
  • Options
    I have been tanning 1x/week for the past month or so. I like to go in the bigger beds that have different types of UV rays - I don't get as red and the tan lasts longer (IMO). My oncology pharmacist fiance gets SO MAD at me for going, but like you guys said, I wanna look darn good on my wedding day! And I plan to stop right after the wedding.  I don't want to look TOO dark (one week I accidentally went twice in a row and people were stopping me and asking me if I had been on vacay). I just want to have a healthy glow, not look like I have been somewhere tropical for a week. So I guess, I would recommend limiting your tanning so this doesn't happen to you as well!

I am planning to get a bikini wax and eyebrow wax and maybe legs like 3 or 4 days before the wedding to make sure all redness/irritation goes away before then.

I also plan to get a couple of facials the month before the wedding, as well as continue to get massages to keep me calm (fiance and I have this massage school near us where you can get a massage from a student who is about to graduate for $35/90 minutes. it's amazing and we go FAR too often).

I also want to do teeth whitening but I haven't bought anything for that yet. my fiance wants to do it with me, haha. He is OBSESSED with having white teeth.

oh, and bridetobe, I would absolutely do the veneers if I were you. If you are going to look back at pictures and point out your teeth flaws to yourself, you might regret it. Also, it sounds like the veneers last a really long time, so I think it would be good for you for the long run to just go ahead and do it - especially if your insurance could cover any of the cost.
  • Options
    That's a good point, Meagan et al. I bet my insurance WOULD cover some of it. It's pretty effed up - fiance says he "barely notices" but I see it every.single.time I look in the mirror.

My teeth are kind of tiny (well, my FACE is kind of tiny, so they fit my face!) so colleen, filing them down isn't an option, unfortunately. I've had them bonded probably 10 times and that lasts literally . . . months? I think it would be worth it, and I can afford it right now, but I feel so vain about it. I honestly hate the way my smile looks in photographs, though, and after speaking with my dentist about it, he was like, my wife didn't get hers done before our wedding and she hates her wedding photos every time she looks at them. So that kind of convinced me. Maybe I'll give him a call to set up a consult.

Oh and ditto the brazilian waxes. I do those anyway, so I didn't even think of it as something wedding-related!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am going to use the Crest White strips like a month before so I can get the white teeth. As for tanning and stuff, well I have to rely on the beach and I am hoping for awesome weather soon because I am afraid to go to the tanning bed since I ended up getting the start of skin cancer from the tanning beds. Other than that, nothing else.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I've gone tanning over the past month. The place was running a pretty good deal for unlimited tans for April. I won't really go before the wedding. But, I get super tan in the summer. My FI and I have a boat, so I'll be wearing a ton of sunscreen.

I also bought whitening strips. I'm using Crest Professional stuff. It was about $55 dollars, but it seems to work well. My teeth get super senstitive from them, so I only wear them for about 15-20 minutes rather than 30 like the directions say.

Other than that, I'm not going to do much. I keep trying to get FI to use the strips. His teeth aren't bad, but I figure it's an easy enough thing to do. And they could use a little whitening.

Bride- Do you want the veneers only for the wedding (I know they last a long time, but I guess I meant like is the wedding the only thing that sparked you wanting them?) or is this something that you've wanted to get done for a while? If it's something you've wanted, then I'd say, yes, go for them before the wedding. But, I kinda see your FI's point. I'd do whatever will make you the happiest. Similar thing: My FI has a permanant retainer that his orthodontist put in after braces. It's behind his bottom teeth, but it wraps around two of his bottom teeth. It's seriously like an old school retainer. Anyway, if he came and said he wanted it switched out just for the wedding, I might think along the same lines of your FI. Like, it's a part of him. But, if he wanted to get it switched out for himself, then I'd be super supportive.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    mobdy - It's something I planned on doing as soon as I got my bonus this year. I set the money aside for it, but I feel a bit vain doing it. I have wanted to do this for years and years, but I suppose with the wedding coming up, it kind of prompted me to REALLY consider it. 

ps - you are SO lucky you have a boat!!! I need a tan :( 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_what-are-you-beauty-regimen-wise-to-look-your-best?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:4c041809-9fd3-40af-b36a-d34b3f3f2238Post:171b1d3c-630a-41b8-9363-4c0b2c2dfd96">Re: What are you beauty regimen wise to look your best?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's a good point, Meagan et al. I bet my insurance WOULD cover some of it. It's pretty effed up - fiance says he "barely notices" but I see it every.single.time I look in the mirror. My teeth are kind of tiny (well, my FACE is kind of tiny, so they fit my face!) so colleen, filing them down isn't an option, unfortunately. I've had them bonded probably 10 times and that lasts literally . . . months? I think it would be worth it, and I can afford it right now, but I feel so vain about it. I honestly hate the way my smile looks in photographs, though, and after speaking with my dentist about it, he was like, my wife didn't get hers done before our wedding and she hates her wedding photos every time she looks at them. So that kind of convinced me. Maybe I'll give him a call to set up a consult. Oh and ditto the brazilian waxes. I do those anyway, so I didn't even think of it as something wedding-related!
    Posted by bridetobe71412[/QUOTE]
    I didn't see this post before I wrote my last one. I think you should definitely do it!! You will be much happier having it done. And don't even think of it as being vein. We all do things to improve our appearances. NBD!

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    1. crest teeth whitening at home
    2. once a month professional facial
    3. weekly exfoliate and deep cleansing using Mary Kay products at home
    4. bi-weekly deep conditioning my hair with stylist

I want to do a Brazilian wax a week before the wedding but I'm scared it will hurt like hell.
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • Options
    I've been tanning since March because I was in a wedding this past April.. I have a few weeks left on my plan so I'll continue to tan until it runs out.  I'm pretty tan (for me) right now so hopefully I'll just have to maintain it.  (I haven't gone to a tanning salon since prom so I don't make this a habit and I'm really fair to begin with.)

I used Twilight Teeth (clicky) while in the tanning bed, and the results are amazing.  I love it and it never made my teeth sensitive like the Crest whitestrips do.

Mani/pedi

Brazilian blowout/highlights and haircut

The waxing/shaving I'll do myself at home.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    whitestrips (already started) and I've been tanning outside on the weekends.  Probably a mani/pedi before the big day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    I've been using whitening mouth rinse and the Crest 3D White toothpaste for a couple of years now, and I feel my teeth are a good shade of white :) so I'm just going to continue with that.

I've never in my life used a tanning bed...I don't tan, I usually burn and then it tans over, so I'm going to start off with a couple of minutes and work my way up. I HATE tanning beds and swore I'd never do it, but even though I don't tan worth crap, I somehow still have tan lines left from the summer :/ This happens to me every year lol I don't get it! I came to the conclusion to get in a "cancer box" (as I always refer to them) when my grandma saw a cell phone pic of me in my dress and asked if it had straps Undecided Nope, those are tan lines. Someone else asked too, and my sister, who is totally 100% anti-tanning beds even said I needed SOMETHING to help with it and to try a tanning bed lol FI wants to do a tanning bed as well, but he's one of those that tans perfectly the first try...arg!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    I bought a pack of Crest White Strips when I was in the states last month (they're outlawed in the UK!) so I'm debating when to start them. It's the kind that takes 20 days at 30 mins a day. I want to start it now, but I'm trying to hold out a few more weeks so it'll be fresh for the wedding.

Other than that, I'm just doing a massage and mani/pedi the week of the wedding with gift cards I got at my shower. I do a lot of at home masks and deep conditioning kind of stuff on a regular basis anyway, so I'm just making extra sure lately to keep that stuff going.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My sister has told me she is giving me a gift card for tanning in June, so I'm doing that so I have a nice glow and base tan before our honeymoon. And I'll probably get a Rembrandt teeth whitening kit again because it worked really well the last time I used them. Other than that no other real major plans for before the wedding other than getting a mani/pedi the day before with my mom and maybe a few of my sisters.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Untitled
    image 218 Invited image 130 Are ready to party!! image 79 Are missing out. :(image 10 Are making me wait. :(
  • Options
    No tanning bed for me!  I'm afraid of them...I'm pale, but I'll just embrace it for the big day.

I'm lucky my FFIL is a dentist and is hooking us up with serious whitening love for the wedding. 
    Other than that I plan on maybe waxing a week before and mani/pedis.

I wish I could go get some facials, but I'll just moisturize like it's going out of style...maybe whip up some of those home facial recipes from pinterest.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Anniversary
  • Options
    No tanning bed for me!  I'm afraid of them...I'm pale, but I'll just embrace it for the big day.

I'm lucky my FFIL is a dentist and is hooking us up with serious whitening love for the wedding. 
    Other than that I plan on maybe waxing a week before and mani/pedis.

I wish I could go get some facials, but I'll just moisturize like it's going out of style...maybe whip up some of those home facial recipes from pinterest.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards