July 2012 Weddings
Options

New July Bride group attendee and major summer heat issue!

Hi July brides!! Although I've been with the Knot for a while now, I just found this board!! I wish I would have known about it sooner! 

Congrats to everyone and good luck with planning!!

My major issue right now is that both my ceremony and reception are outside (Mostly) and Im not sure what to do about the heat! We are providing fans (which are also the programs!) and water for the ceremony but I'm not sure what to do about the reception. It's at a plantation and the reception will be in the courtyard. It's really nice but I know it will be hot! 

What to do??

Re: New July Bride group attendee and major summer heat issue!

• Options

Welcome!

Why did you choose an outdoor setting when the weather is such an issue? 

• Options
    I do not think it will be that big of a deal (July was the only month we personally had available) but guest are all ready complaining somewhat. Most places were outside that we had looked at within our budget and what all was provided. 
  • Options
    What time is your ceremony/reception?  Is it formal or will people be able to wear light, casual clothes (summer dresses/cotton or  linen pants for men?) 
    weddingcake-1
  • Options
    We are having our ceremony and reception outside as well, but we are not concerned about the heat.  We are having abeach wedding so we will have the ocean breeze.  The only thing I am somewhat concerned about is when the high tide will be that day.
    Cate Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We are having our ceremony outside under a tent with electric fans on the ceiling and the tent will be kind of under some trees.

Is it possible for you to get a tent for your guests?
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I second mekiakoo's question about the tent. Our reception starts at 6pm and the cocktail hour is partially outside in a garden/terrace and partially inside the estate house. Our dinner takes place under the tent on the terrace. I was told the tent really, really cuts down on the heat issue just by providing shade. We're also putting fans outside in the tent.

I expect it'll still be a bit hot. I'm just praying it's not one of those 100-degree days that PA sometimes has in July! To mitigate, I think I'm going to ask our caterer if it's possible to do some kind of frozen alcoholic popsicle with the cocktail hour, and I will likely give people hand fans during cocktail hour, too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm assuming from your info that your wedding is in Louisiana?.. LA summers are BRUTAL so I'm gonna second looking into a tent or something along those lines.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Or really big cooling fans - y'know the ones that they have at like Zoos and such - that do a little mist with a nice strong breeze?

I think that'll only work if it's a some-what casual dress though - I dont think people will want to get their "nicer clothes" wet from the mist.

Is it an evening reception - close to dark?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The ceremony is at 7:00 so it will be later! The reception starts right after. I can get a tent but not sure about the fans so I'll have to ask. It's actually in Mississippi (which is still just as hot!) but there are huge trees all over the grounds so we should have lots of shade. It's casual also
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Another thing!! What to do about mosquitos!!!
  • Options
    I would not get a tent if you are not having fans.  I organize a giant baby fair (like a bridal fair but for babies) and we had our last event outdoors in July.  It was 116 with the heat index.  We had a tent area set up for breastfeeding moms and for changing babies.  The rental company told us absolutely to not have an enclosed tent with out some kind of cooling system in place (giant fans or whatever)bc it would be extremely hot and there would be no air flow.  We borrowed a portable air conditioner and it worked wonderfully.  You can rent them in some cities or they sell them at Lowe's and Home Depot.  If you just get a canopy it would provide some shade from the sun until it gets dark at least.  Even with the high temps & no shade at all we had 2500 attendees at our event between 9-1.  It was hot but everyone was fine and we had no heat related inicdents.  Good luck! 
    :)AJ Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    As for the masquitos I think OFF sells some kind of repellent things that you can stake in the ground around the perimeter of the courtyard.  I think they have a couple different things that are supposed to work for a homes backyard so maybe look into that? 
    :)AJ Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ooh a plantation courtyard sounds lovely!

Are Mississippi summers worse than Indiana summers? 

My sister had an indoor reception in Indiana and the A/C went out.  It got up to 85 in that room even with fans going.  Some poeople were miserable, but I still danced and sweated my butt off!
  • Options
    The type of tent that they have is not enclosed it's open and it's cloth not vinyl so that's the only thing with the fans. I might just see if I can round up a bunch of those lanterns that are nice looking for the bugs!
  • Options
    That sounds like a gorgeous wedding.  I would definitely set up the tent and get some fans.  I would also get something for the bugs.  Maybe even put out bug spray on the tables for people that want it as well as hand fans.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Welcome! Yeah, I would look into getting the OFF lanterns that look somewhat cute, and just work them into the decor (maybe even centerpieces, if you need to...). I think they make tiki torch ones, and several other styles.

These ones aren't so bad.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thats what I was thinking and you're right those dont look that bad at all! Only thing that I was worried about with the fans is that the courtyard isnt small but its not very large either so if I have fans I dont want things blowing everywhere! 
  • Options
    I feel your pain!  I'm getting married in San Antonio...hot, hot, hot!  (Currently on the hunt for an indoor location for the ceremony...)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards