Offbeat Weddings
Options

walk in the woods wedding?

I live in Seattle. In April the cherry trees bloom for 3 weeks and it's the most glorious and beautiful time of year. I am going to be married under a cherry tree...except right now it's June and you can't tell them from other non-blooming trees. 

My fiance and I are planning the SIMPLEST wedding we can imagine:
- only immediate family ( <20 people including us)
- no attendants
- restaurant reception
- not reserving a site in the parks but scoping out the week before to find a nice spot to get married

Then day of, we walk to the lovely tree, stand around for 10 min for the ceremony, walk for food and drinking. 

I'm a second time bride. This was my fantasy last time but the logistics of the trees blooming and family flying in and reserving the parks was really logistically hard so we ended up with a much more fancy, formal (but still garden) wedding. This time I want my friggin' fantasy! :-) 

So, am I missing something important? It's Seattle in April so sensible shoes and rain coats are a must for everyone! Does this sound romantic to anyone else? Note: I love the cherry trees so much I have a large tattoo of them.

Re: walk in the woods wedding?

• Options
    I was going to say don't post this on the outdoor forum, but I looked and you already did. You may get some more relaxed opinions over here on this board, but do consider what they're saying over there. I attended a wedding in a national park this weekend and it was very difficult to see anything and I was practically 5 feet from the bride.

The spot sounds beautiful though. Just make it as short & sweet as possible (like, a few minutes) and maybe since you're not having many guests it won't be so hard for people to see.
  • Options
    Since we want something SO small and informal it's only immediate family. Our brothers and sisters shouldn't to worried about being too close to us. I know this almost as offbeat as it gets but I'm a grown up and this is what my sweetie and I want. I'm sure I'll get a lot of flaming for our vision, but it's OURS.
  • Options
    It sounds gorgeous and I love the small wedding idea - ours only had five people, including me and the other half!
    Have you thought about incorporating handfasting cords into the ceremony?  I know I'm a little biased as thats what I make and sell, but regardless of that, handfastings in natural surroundings look great - think of the secret moonlit wedding ceremony in Braveheart (also handfasting) and you'll know what I mean!
    Having a cord blended with colours from the forest as well as cherry blossom elements would look fantastic, give you a tangible reminder of the day to take away, and would also extend your ceremony by 5-10mins without feeling like you were just padding.
    Just a thought... :-)
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_walk-in-the-woods-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:e6051630-9c61-420b-8bd5-9a2b0c049f77Post:d51038f9-e934-46cf-8b82-c28c0b71528c">Re: walk in the woods wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since we want something SO small and informal it's only immediate family. Our brothers and sisters shouldn't to worried about being too close to us. I know this almost as offbeat as it gets but I'm a grown up and this is what my sweetie and I want. I'm sure I'll get a lot of flaming for our vision, but it's OURS.
    Posted by anssett[/QUOTE]
    That's what I'm saying, you won't get much flaming over here. I understand that you're a grown up and can do what you want. You asked for advice/things you may not have considered yet and I gave it. You don't have to like it or use it.

Also, I didn't say anyone would be worried about being close to you-I was saying that I was close to the bride and still could not see.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_walk-in-the-woods-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:e6051630-9c61-420b-8bd5-9a2b0c049f77Post:69cfb6b9-b24b-4f80-934d-3ebbe6e3f6ad">Re: walk in the woods wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]II was saying that I was close to the bride and still could not see.
    Posted by balletdawn[/QUOTE]

<div>OOOOOH. Thanks for the clarification I completely misunderstood. </div><div>
    </div><div>Hm...more thinking is required. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_offbeat-weddings_walk-in-the-woods-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:43453af6-2ee4-412a-99fb-cbb447240911Discussion:e6051630-9c61-420b-8bd5-9a2b0c049f77Post:8efc9cfc-4b82-402e-8ac9-32029583ed2b">Re: walk in the woods wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It sounds gorgeous and I love the small wedding idea - ours only had five people, including me and the other half! Have you thought about incorporating handfasting cords into the ceremony?  I know I'm a little biased as thats what I make and sell, but regardless of that, handfastings in natural surroundings look great - think of the secret moonlit wedding ceremony in Braveheart (also handfasting) and you'll know what I mean! Having a cord blended with colours from the forest as well as cherry blossom elements would look fantastic, give you a tangible reminder of the day to take away, and would also extend your ceremony by 5-10mins without feeling like you were just padding. Just a thought... :-)
    Posted by Binding Ties[/QUOTE]

The TOS you agreed to states no vendors. I know that you didn't flat out say where to buy your products BUT some would view stating you do sell them as advertising because people now know to contact you to purchase them. I'm not deleting your post now, but warning you in the future. Although I mod here, mods often jump board to board to just check things out and in turn do request on the mod forum for vendors to be banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards