Christian Weddings
Options

survey about FI/DH :)

1. How did you meet him and how old were you?

2. Was it love at first sight?

3. How did you know you were supposed to marry him?

4. What was the first date like?

5. Where did your first kiss take place?

6. Dating... local or long distance?

7. Do you know everything there is to know about your husband?

8. Were your parents supportive of you when you started dating?

9. Do you fart around each other?

10. How long was it till you got engaged after you started dating?

11. Long or short engagement?

12. If you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would that be?

13. What was one of the things that attracted you to your husband?

14. Do you believe he is your soulmate?

save the date
"Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>

Re: survey about FI/DH :)

• Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

We met in American Lit at Liberty University on August 25, 2008.  I was 21, he was 20.

I had an almost pathetic crush on him from the moment he turned around and introduced himself.  He's said that by the end of September, he had a crush on me, too.  But, I'm a good Baptist and wanted him to take the lead in initiating anything.

About 3 months after we started officially "courdating" he went home with me for my birthday.  I was helping mom in the kitchen and catching up with my aunts.  I heard my little cousins laughing (there are 5 under 5) and looked over to see DH in the floor playing with them, including my cousin with severe special needs.  I knew at the moment I wasn't letting him get away. :)

Hah!  Which one? :)

The first time we spent time together off campus was November 15, and he took me to see Dark Knight at the Dollar Theatre, at the urging of one of his friends.  Neither of us established if this was a "date," and didn't do anything else except go to the movie.  After we got out, he walked me to my car and asked if I wanted to get coffee after Campus Church the next day.  We met for coffee and talked for about 4 hours...and had a few more 2-3 hour coffees after we got back to school after Thanksgiving Break.

January 10, 2009 was our first official date.  We had just gotten back to school after Christmas, and he officially asked me to be his girlfriend.  We went to the computer lab to change our fb status and then went to see "Nights in Rodanthe" (because the only other option was HS Musical 3).  We didn't know about www.kids-in-mind.com at the time, and we spent at lot of time admiring the theatre's sconces.

At the front of the church after his dad pronounced us husband and wife. :)

Dating was local except during school breaks...the last 4 1/2 months of our engagement was LD after he got the Youth Pastor position out here in Kansas, and I was still in Virginia.

Absolutely not!  I'm still learning new things about him every day.

Yes.  They wanted to meet him, so we arranged to make a day trip to my home church (about 1 1/2 hrs from campus), but they trusted me and knew my boundaries and were very supportive.

No.

13 months, 4 days.

16 months was too long. But there really wasn't a way to make it shorter.

12. If you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would that be?

We want to take a trip to England and Ireland and take a trip to Israel.

His smile.  It still gets me.

Out of all the guys in my life, from high school through college, he is the only one I've known that I can imagine being married to.  Early in our relationship, I realized that I just couldn't imagine having the connection we do with the other guys I'd had crushes on.

• Options
    DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. How did you meet him and how old were you? We first met in junior high.  I don't know when we very first met, but we went to school together for 2 years.  We were not friends, just knew of each other.  He was scared of me.
    Funny story, the first day of Spanish, 7th grade year,  I was sitting in class when this kid came running in 5 or so minutes late.  Senora George laid into him and he was so embarassed.  Several years later H and I were talking about classes, trying to figure out if we'd ever had a class together, and he told me about how he was late to Spanish thefirst day of 7th grade.  Ha!
    2. Was it love at first sight? Far from it.
    3. How did you know you were supposed to marry him? That's a REALLY long story.  I'll tell you some other time. 
    4. What was the first date like? Awkward.  It took a while for us to get used to being together, since we were friends first and both dating other people.  I was actually engaged when we first became friends in college.
    5. Where did your first kiss take place? Bowling alley parking lot
    6. Dating... local or long distance? Both.  We grew up 15 minutes apart, so when I was at home for the summers we were local, but when I was at school we were 75-90 minutes apart, so not super long distance but further than just across town.
    7. Do you know everything there is to know about your husband? I doubt I know *everything*, but I know a lot!
    8. Were your parents supportive of you when you started dating? Yes
    9. Do you fart around each other? Yes
    10. How long was it till you got engaged after you started dating? We started dating April 1, 2000 and got engaged end of Oct/beginning ofNov 2001, so a year and a half.
    11. Long or short engagement? 13 months
    12. If you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would that be? Florence, Italy or London/
    13. What was one of the things that attracted you to your husband? He had his priorities striaght and had goals for his life as well a plan to achieve them.
    14. Do you believe he is your soulmate? No
  • Options
    faith415faith415 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The first time I met FI I was 15 and he was 17. My youth group went on our annual Winter Retreat and he came along with his best friend. He sat right behind me on the charter bus. According to FI he noticed had noticed me the summer before that when he came to some other youth group function

I don't think that you can truely be in love with someone at first sight. We were however instantly attracted to each other.

When I went away to college, we lived far enough apart that we didn't see each other very often. Even though we had been in a LDR for over a year already this was the first time we were really tested by it. After that year, I knew that if we were able to get through that year then we would be able to make it through anything else that was thrown at us.

Well we started dating twice. The first time we started going out I wasn't allowed to go anywhere alone with him, so we never had an actual date we mostly just hung out at youth group. The second time, we went to see King Kong together before we were officially dating, we were supposed to be going with friends, but everyone else baled on us after we had gotten to the movie theater. It wasn't really planned as a date when we went.

Our official first date was to his sister's wedding. I got to meet his entire family all at once!

I had just been in a play at church and he came up to me while I was gathering my stuff, kissed me really quickly and walked away. We had already been dating for over two months and he was super nervous.

Mostly long distance. We lived in the same city about 8 months. We're been long distance for almost 5 years now, not including Winter Break.

No, and I'm sure when we get married I'll learn even more.

Yes! My parents love him. Apparently my mom was really upset when we broke up although she didn't tell me till we got back together.

No

We got engaged right before our 5 year dating anniversary.

Long! We're doing a 14 month engagement due to school.

We both really want to go to Europe together!

Eyes, I'm a sucker for blue eyes and his personality.

I couldn't imagine not being with him.

• Options
    xstarx05xxstarx05x member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    20 & 19 working as camp counselors
    lust for him, but I was in a "boys are jerks" phase and avoided him lol I even asked my friend to not leave me so I wouldnt have to talk to him alone lol
    he helped me give my life to God :)
    we didn't have it until after camp and we went to a diner
    in the counselor's cabin after watching some movie. this was more memorable than our first date :)  we had been flirting a bit, and somehow i ended up sitting on his lap, and he leaned in to kiss me and i was like "no i don't want to get involved with anyone right now" blablabla and then he put his hand on my cheek and asked for "just one little kiss"... eee! and the rest is history.
    very long distance... US and Australia
    sometimes we joke that we know each other too well and shouldn't be allowed to live together LOL
    not at all. my mom followed us around and told him to leave (where??). but then my family figured out that it wasn't puppy love or a summer fling, and since we've had to spend so much time with each other's families while visiting each other, we were both completely part of each others' families even before we got married
    yes, we're 10 year old boys
    a year and a half
    long--2 years so I could graduate and so we could deal with Visas
    Greece (he's half Greek) or Israel (to follow Jesus' trail)
    First thing was his accent, but now it's his eyes and smile (physically) and how affectionate he is
    without a doubt. there is no way i'd ever find anyone as perfect! i've been out there before and i don't want to go back.

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    edited December 2011
    1. How did you meet him and how old were you? We attended the same wedding (I was in the wedding) when I was 25.  But we didn't meet until I was 37.
    2. Was it love at first sight?  The day we met I felt that we were meant to be together.  So I wouldn't say love at first sight but there was a definite attraction.
    3. How did you know you were supposed to marry him?  I was 36 and I had never met anyone that I could imagine a future with.  Then one of my friends gave him my email address and we started to email each other.  We had a lot in common.  He was funny.  He was so sweet.  I thought that it was too good to be true and figured that when I finally met him, my excitement would be over.  Then I met him and he was as wonderful in person.  We dated for a few months and I realized that I couldn't imagine my life without him in it.  That's when I knew.
    4. What was the first date like?  Having never met, I picked him up from the airport and brought him to the Inner Harbor (Baltimore).  We ate at Johnny Rockets and then went to play games at ESPN Zone.  Our date lasted all day (we came back to the house, played games, had dinner and watched a movie).  It was a great day!
    5. Where did your first kiss take place?  The day we met we were playing a game and I kept looking across the table at him and wanted to kiss him so badly.  But I didn't.  About three weeks later we had gone to my grandmother's house and he came to my bedroom and asked if he could say good-night.  Then he kissed me.  I'm so happy that my first kiss happened at Grandma's house because it is my favorite place to be.
    6. Dating... local or long distance?  LDR from first email through to wedding day.
    7. Do you know everything there is to know about your husband?   I don't know a lot about his growing up years and learn more about that all of the time (his pets, his friends, memories from school, etc.) but I feel like I know most of who he is today.  That's the thing about having a LDR.  You really learn a lot about someone because you are forced to communicate.  I mean, who wants to be on the phone and just hear each other breathe?  You spend a lot of time communicating and the physical aspect of the relationship is not as important.
    8. Were your parents supportive of you when you started dating?  Yes, they were.  But when I first told my parents about Joe, I was telling them that we had been emailing  for about 6 weeks AND that he was coming to visit.  My mom kept saying, "You're kidding".  After not seeing me date anyone for over 10 years, it was too much for her to take in.
    9. Do you fart around each other?  Yes, but mostly him.  I burp a lot and don't really fart much.  One of the things I love about us is that we can talk to each other about EVERYTHING and we're not ever embarrassed about anything.  There is nothing that would be considered TMI.
    10. How long was it till you got engaged after you started dating?  It was about 20 months.
    11. Long or short engagement?  13 months (too long, IMO)
    12. If you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would that be?   Italy - I think it would be so romantic and he loves italian food.
    13. What was one of the things that attracted you to your husband?  His sense of humor
    14. Do you believe he is your soulmate?  Yes, I truly do.  And he is my best friend.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. How did you meet him and how old were you? We were both involved in theatre productions, and we met since he was casted in a show I was stage managing.  He was 20 and I was 16. 

2. Was it love at first sight? No-we didn't really talk to each other all that often, and didn't start hanging out until 4 months after meeting.  (To tell you the truth, when we first met, I thought he was gay! lol  We still joke about that today) 

3. How did you know you were supposed to marry him? After we started hanging out as friends, it occured to me one night that I liked him!  And not just that I liked him, but it hit me that I LOVED him and that I was supposed to marry him!  I am certain to this day that I went from liking someone as a casual friend to feeling that they were my soul mate in merely one night by God speaking to me telling me so. 

4. What was the first date like? I was a bit nervous to go on a date since we were such good friends prior to dating and thought the transition would feel awkward-so I asked one of our mutual friends to come along with us!  lol  A little odd I know, but she encouraged us not to feel awkard about this transition and it ended up working out quite well!

5. Where did your first kiss take place? It was at the performing arts theatre where we first met!

6. Dating... local or long distance? Local

7. Do you know everything there is to know about your husband? Yes!  I don't have any secrets from him

8. Were your parents supportive of you when you started dating? Yes-although my mom was a tad nervous that I was dating a guy in his 20's! (I was 17 when we started dating)  But after spending more time with him, my mom realized he was a good guy

9. Do you fart around each other? No not regularly...but we have both accidently done it once around each other lol

10. How long was it till you got engaged after you started dating? 4 years and 2 days!

11. Long or short engagement? I guess average...our wedding is 364 days his proposal.

12. If you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would that be? Paris!  I'm old school romantic :)

13. What was one of the things that attracted you to your husband? His kind eyes (plus they're green!) and his welcoming smile.

14. Do you believe he is your soulmate?  Most definately!

• Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    edited December 2011
    I'm excited to read through everyone else's later tonight!

1. How did you meet him and how old were you?School. I was 13, believe it or not!
    2. Was it love at first sight?I definitely liked him right away. But I didn't love him, no.
    3. How did you know you were supposed to marry him?I realized that I'd be happy if he was the last guy I ever kissed one day. I don't know what got me started thinking about it...
    4. What was the first date like?Awkward, but awesome :)
    5. Where did your first kiss take place?Outside my parents house.
    6. Dating... local or long distance?Local. Our engagement was long distance for about two and a half months.
    7. Do you know everything there is to know about your husband?Well, he's not my husband yet, but no, I don't think I do.
    8. Were your parents supportive of you when you started dating?Yes.
    9. Do you fart around each other?No.
    10. How long was it till you got engaged after you started dating?Almost three years.
    11. Long or short engagement?I don't know. 8 months seems just about right for us. I couldn't have handled anything longer.
    12. If you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would that be?I have no idea. Somewhere internationally would be fun.
    13. What was one of the things that attracted you to your husband?He was sooo smart.
    14. Do you believe he is your soulmate?I believe that he is who God intended for me, but I'm not sure that I believe in soulmates.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    xstarx, it's nice to see another international LDR.  As you'll see below, I was also in that camp.
    In Germany as study abroad students five years ago.  We were both 21.  I was there from the U.S. and he from Brazil.
    No.  Friends at first site, though.  It took some convincing on his part to get me on a date with him.
    When he moved from Brazil to be with me here in the US.
    We had ice cream in our university town in Germany, which is very old and romantic.  We managed to talk for five hours... in German!
    In front of my doorstep wishing me goodnight.  He, a bunch of friends of mine, and I had just spent the weekend visiting Neuschwanstein Castle.
    Mostly long distance.  U.S.-Brazil for almost 2 years, then DC-Boston for the past year.  Only 2 years or so in the same city.
    No.
    My parents were a little concerned when they found out I was dating someone from another country.  That is, what would happen to us after studying abroad?  I can understand their concern, but once they learned more about him, I think they realized he was a great guy.
    No.
    Four years, but after 2 years being in the same city.
    We had a long engagement... 14 months.  That was too long, but what could we do.
    Back to Germany.  We haven't been there since we first met.
    His gentleness and Brazilian charm.
    He is who God wanted me to be with.
  • Options
    Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

Not sure because we don't know when we first met/saw each other.  I had just turned 17 by the time we had our first date and he was 19.

I don't think so. He says that he knew that he always wanted to date me.

I can't imagine my life without him.

We went to see a movie and then we went shrimping. I kept trying to talk to him and he would give me one word answers. By the end of the night I thought that we would just be friends.

In my driveway under the stars :)

Mainly local. But ever since he got this new job we have been long distance.

He's not my husband yet but I know I still have a lot to learn.

Yes

Yes!

We got engaged about 2 weeks shy of our 3 year anniversary.

Long because I want to finish school first.

Hawaii or Isreal

It's a combination of his eyes and his smile

I would say yes.

• Options
    BronwynHBronwynH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We were freshman in high school & we were both 14. He was new, it was a small private school that I had gone to since 4th grade.

Haha...no. I kept mixing his name up with another new kid for the first few months of school.

When he knew that he was supposed to be a missionary too.

We went and had sushi (it was his first time having sushi) then we went and saw the movie Date Night. After that we went on a drive and stopped in an undeveloped neighborhood. We just sat in the bed of the truck and talked for a few hours. :) It was great!

In the bed of the truck on our first date. It had been a long time coming.

Long distance the first 2 months. Me in Guatemala & him in the US. Then local since I got back.

He's not my husband yet, but no I don't

Yeah pretty much

haha...yeah

9 months

I don't know....it's 8 months. Seems right to me

Hmm....doing mission work in Central America. Or maybe somewhere in Europe. Or maybe a nice tropical beach.

When he really gave his life to the Lord and felt called to ministry. We were really good friends before we started dating.

I'm not sure about what soulmate is....but I know he is who I choose to love

• Options
    edited December 2011
    1. How did you meet him and how old were you? We met a church- I was 9 and he was 10.

2. Was it love at first sight? Definitely not. I was not interested in boys at that age. In fact, we went to their house that Christmas and I remember being sad they only had a boy my age!

3. How did you know you were supposed to marry him? One day I just looked at him from accross the crowded room and God told me that one day that 18 year old boy would be my husband. Shortly after that was when God let him in on the secret. that was 5 years ago!

4. What was your first date like? We never really had a first date. We had spent years together at church and college with a group of people. Eventually the groups just got smaller until it was just him and me.

5. Where did your first kiss take place? Will be at the alter. I'm a little nervous that 200+ people will be watching, but it was really important to him.

6. Dating... long distance or local? he's family lives 45 minutes away from mine which can be an expensive drive. But we went to college together for 4 years and church before that, so it really wasn't bad.... just not as often as I would have chosen.

7. Do you know everything there is to know about your husband? nope. give me another 60 years and hopefully I'll have it figured out!

8. Were your parents supportive of you when you started dating? Like I said before, we didn't really "date" or "court" really. But yes, my parents and siblings like him most of the time. My younger brothers and sisters have all gone through a hate stage at some point or another (i think that has to do with me being the first to get married).

9. Do you fart around each other? I don't think so..

10. How long was it till you got engaged after you started dating? I guess we were officially a couple for about 2 1/2 years.

11. Long or short engagment? Short! Since we'd already been waiting 5 years and we were finishing up college, there wasn't a need for  us to wait. It'll be one day less than 6 months.

12. if you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would it be? too many places... maybe Nepal for his friend's wedding, whenever that may be.

13. What was one of the things that attracted you to your husband? He is always serving others! One evening we were at a church function following his soccer game in which he twisted his ankle. I was "busy" holding a baby and my injured boy went outside to get a drink for me from the cooler!

14. Do you believe he is your soulmate? I believe God made us to compliment each other and work together for His glory. So yes.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_survey-fidh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:720e85f9-a8d5-4a5a-9cce-eee4db72b48dPost:60bb5271-a305-46f5-a00f-be51fdb150e3">Re: survey about FI/DH :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]5. Where did your first kiss take place? Will be at the alter. I'm a little nervous that 200+ people will be watching, but it was really important to him.
    Posted by Special2011[/QUOTE]
    Trust me...you won't even notice them at the church.  I didn't realize people were watching us kiss until they started clinking their stupid glasses at the reception every 2 minutes.  BIL would wait until one or both of us had JUST taken a bite of food, and then clink until we could kiss.  Bless his heart.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

for him, yes. I was with somebody else at the time but I did think he was cute

We broke up when we went away for college (Each to separate schools). I didn't like it but we decided to think and pray for about a month before we got back together. It was when we got back together that we knew we would marry each other. Mostly because we saw there was no reason for us to be involved if there was no future.

Cute and innocent. We went to a costume party

In the car in the parking lot of a movie theater

Both. We were LD for about 1-1.5 years

No!! and I don't think I ever will

yes and no. We kinda "accidentally" started dating and they thought we had deceived them

Yes, I had my gallbladder removed, and you can't stop those farts.

A week short of two years

LOOOOONG

Ireland

He's sweet

Yes, 1000 times yes!!

imageAnniversary
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

We met through our moms. His mom started teaching with my mom and all the teachers' kids were forced to get together for Christmas parties, end of the year dinners, etc. I met FI at a Christmas party when I was 11 and he was 13!

I'm not sure. We both agreed (later) that we thought the other was "cute". The more and more I talked to him, the more I liked him.

I know it's cheesy but I just knew. Even if we just had a big fight (happened a lot in our early years-- we blame LDR), I could never bring myself to end it with him. I always knew in the back of my head that he was a great guy, he treated me right, and that I would never find anyone who compared to him. He asked me to marry him October 14 of 2006 or 2007, without a ring. He just told me he wanted to marry me-- from then on we were set and knew that each other was for sure "the one". On October 14, 2010, he proposed for real.  

4. What was your first date like?
    We never really "dated". We were always just "together". We did go to the movies a lot!

In the parking lot of a mall!! It was a terrible kiss (teeth bumping, sloppy, etc) but we were both thrilled!

6. Dating... long distance or local?
    We did both. We did LDR for a year, then we were local for 3 years, then we did LDR for a year and half again (I went away to college). LDR was awful for us. I'm surprised we made it through. Thank God we did.

I wouldn't say I know "everything", but he's my best friend and I've grown up with him.. so, I certainly know a "ton" about him!

For the most part. My parents know he's a good guy. He's just pretty shy around them, even after all these years. But honestly, my parents wouldn't think anyone was "good enough" for me. That's a whole other issue... *sigh*

Of course.. and burp, and snore, and go #2, and throw up, etc.. No secrets after all these years. PLUS, how am I ever going to NOT fart in front of him for the next 50 years? We're open with each other and never ever embarassed.

We started dating December 22, 2005 and got engaged October 14, 2010. :)

11. Long or short engagment?
    WAY TOO LONG. But we are happy with it now (even though we'd just like to be married) given the economy!

12. if you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would it be?
    I want to go to England and Finland with him! England is my favorite country and his whole family is from Finland, but he's never been. We'd also love to visit Japan.

I could go on forever, but I'll keep it short: his sense of humor and wit. He's as sharp as a knife and is hilarious!

I couldn't imagine spending my life with anyone else!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We went to a small bible college where everyone knew each other and so we saw each other a lot. I'm not sure of when we actually met. I was 18 and he was 22.

Not at all!! For a couple of months, he thought I was someone else

I'm not sure. I just felt like this was who God had for me.

Our first "date" was awful. We went with a group of friends to bowling alley and he actually paid for me and another person. Then we went with another couple to see a movie after we had started dating. Again, awkward.

My parents' back porch after he proposed. It was pure bliss.

For the first 6months we were at the same college. Then he took a job in Thomasville GA for the summer and I took a summer job in Fort Lauderdale. Then we both moved back to the Orlando area where we were a hour apart during the engagement.

Not at all. We are learning new things about each other all the time.

Yes but the engagement, they were a little nervous about.

I got sick last Christmas where and so needless to say he's seen it all. And we have become just that comfortable around eachother.

8months

Probably on the shorter side 10months and 4days

I would love to visit all of the Disney theme parks. DH would love to go to Ireland or the Great Barrier Reef to scuba dive

His smile and the fact that he is a nerd.

I don't like the word soulmate. I believe he who God wants me to be with and He has proven that many times.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. How did you meet him and how old were you? I met him at college. We had a class together. I was 19, he was 21.  
    2. Was it love at first sight? in a way.... I knew something was very different about him when I first met him 3. How did you know you were supposed to marry him? How? I don't know. I just knew
    4. What was the first date like? I don't remember our first official date we didn't realy have one - we were friends, and things slowly evolved from there
    5. Where did your first kiss take place? I honestly don't remember. Maybe at my apartment
    6. Dating... local or long distance? long distance.... ugh.
    7. Do you know everything there is to know about your husband? oh no!! I there's lots I don't know about him. it's so fun to learn about him. He always surprises me
    8. Were your parents supportive of you when you started dating? no - they're still not. They don't like FI at all. 
    9. Do you fart around each other? um... this is a weird question. 
    10. How long was it till you got engaged after you started dating? Since we didn't really have a "first date" or a start to our dating, we got engaged about 4 years after we met
    11. Long or short engagement? about a year and a half. 
    12. If you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would that be? only one place?? I've always wanted to show him Mexico City. 
    13. What was one of the things that attracted you to your husband? his compassion and chivalry and kindness and his nobleness
    14. Do you believe he is your soulmate? I don't believe he is -- I know he is.
  • Options
    xstarx05xxstarx05x member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_survey-fidh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:720e85f9-a8d5-4a5a-9cce-eee4db72b48dPost:24d41be5-87c7-41a3-834b-0995bea8f8e4">Re: survey about FI/DH :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]xstarx, it's nice to see another international LDR.  As you'll see below, I was also in that camp. 
    Posted by GJones27[/QUOTE]

<div>Wow you two were all over! Did you have a long engagement cuza travelling/visas? What did your mom say when you got engaged? Mine "joked" that if we got married, we had to live in the US! (i'm certain there's some truth to that lol)</div>

save the date
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was 14, he was 18. He was hired to be my youth group's youth pastor. I had a huge crush on him and he saw me as an obnoxious teenager.
    2. Was it love at first sight?For me, kind of, I was boy crazy. For him, no.
    3. How did you know you were supposed to marry him?We took a month and fasted from each other. We didn't talk, text, communicate in any way and instead spoke to our mentors and prayed about God's will for our relationship.
    4. What was the first date like?I didn't know it was a first date until afterwards, but it was fun!
    5. Where did your first kiss take place?After watching a movie. We were arguing about who needed to get up and put the next one in. I totally forgot we were arguing and got up and changed the movie...
    6. Dating... local or long distance?Long distance for most of it. 6hrs apart.
    7. Do you know everything there is to know about your husband? Nope, people are continually changing. I probably won't ever know everything.
    8. Were your parents supportive of you when you started dating?His yes, mine were tentative. I'm very much their baby girl.
    9. Do you fart around each other?Yep.
    10. How long was it till you got engaged after you started dating?A few months before our 3rd anniversary.
    11. Long or short engagement?18 months
    12. If you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would that be?I can't pick one, we love to travel.
    13. What was one of the things that attracted you to your husband?His love for God and for his family. 
    14. Do you believe he is your soulmate?I don't really believe in soulmates. I think there can be more than one right person for everyone. But we are incredibly happy together!
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. How did you meet him and how old were you?He was room mates with my brother at their college. I was 23 years old.
    2. Was it love at first sight?We had a very strong connection from the beginning. Maybe not love at first sight but definitely something was there early on.
    3. How did you know you were supposed to marry him?When I couldn't see him not in my life.
    4. What was the first date like?fun
    5. Where did your first kiss take place?Couch at my house
    6. Dating... local or long distance?long distance at first, about 3 hours away but then I moved to his hometown because our relationship was getting stronger
    7. Do you know everything there is to know about your husband?I think so
    8. Were your parents supportive of you when you started dating?Yes, they have liked him from the first time they met him.
    9. Do you fart around each other?He does, I don't.
    10. How long was it till you got engaged after you started dating?It happened right before our 3 year anniversary
    11. Long or short engagement?Long, it will be a 18 month engagement
    12. If you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would that be?Somewhere in Europe
    13. What was one of the things that attracted you to your husband?His sense of humor
    14. Do you believe he is your soulmate?yes, without a doubt

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • Options
    azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We met through a mutual friend and played basketball together - I think I was 25 or 26, and DH is three years younger than me.

Nope. But we were certainly friends with each other.

God told me. I was sitting at the counter one day, and God said that I could trust Matt. (I had an EXTREMELY hard time trusting guys before him.)

We watched a movie and ate dinner at my place. I realized that night how similar we were when we had the same reactions to the movie at the same time.

My living room couch. He had kissed me a couple of times on the cheek, but I had never been kissed before. So when I was (finally) ready, I asked him to kiss me one night before he went home. He double-checked to make sure I was serious....so sweet!

He asked me out AFTER he left the Valley, so long distance - about three and a half hours apart.

Not by a long shot. But I learn more and more about him all the time. :)

Yeah, I think so. I was 27, so I didn't need their approval. DH's parents loved me from the very start. :D

Sure. Better out than in. ;)

He proposed the day after our ten month anniversary.

Six months. I guess most people consider that short...

I don't know. We're both kinda home-bodies. Europe maybe?

How patient he was (and is) with me. Every major step we took, he waited to make sure I was ready first.

Yes. I believe he is the one God has chosen for me to spend my life with. I can't imagine my life without him.

• Options
    SoonToBeGenaoSoonToBeGenao member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

1. How did you meet him and how old were you? We worked for the same company. I was 22 he was 26

2. Was it love at first sight?It was definitely attraction at first sight- but not love.

3. How did you know you were supposed to marry him? That's a very long story for another day- in conclusion: we both needed to find Christ, we broke up a while, got back together with a whole new and fresh relationship and I just knew I would marry him.

4. What was the first date like? It was fun! We went to a street fair and he won me a teddy bear (that I still have sitting in our room)

5. Where did your first kiss take place? On our favorite pier where we would go often to eat lunch. Its on the East River with an unobstructed view of the NYC skyline,

6. Dating... local or long distance? Mostly local- it was about an hour away from each other for most of it.

7. Do you know everything there is to know about your husband? I would say I know a whole lot, but there are things I learn everyday and more things I will learn through our lives.

8. Were your parents supportive of you when you started dating? Both of our families were super supportive.

9. Do you fart around each other? Not on purpose anyway.

10. How long was it till you got engaged after you started dating? We dated 2 full years

11. Long or short engagement? 12 months almost to the day (starting to wish it was shorter now though)

12. If you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would that be? As long as he is with me- I don't care. We love to travel and have fun together.

13. What was one of the things that attracted you to your husband? His smile, his outgoing personality, his confidence, his intellect.

14. Do you believe he is your soulmate? I truly believe he is who God has planned for me.

There's only 1 way 2 say those 3 words and that's what I'll do... I love you Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We "met" on Facebook, but he came to my house and met my mom and sister and picked me up in his truck and we went back to his house where his mom was cutting the grass.  :P  It was September 18, 2009 - I was 17, DH was 18.  :)
    2. Was it love at first sight?If that's what you call it lol.  We definitely clicked and never fell apart.  :)
    The way he took care of me and the way I finally "fit" in a family.
    We went to his house, he fixed his dad's truck.  We rode the four-wheeler and I jumped on his back where he proceeded to play with my knee while holding me up FOREVER lol.  We talked for a long time and it was freezing - we were both shivering.  He offered me his hoodie but I refused (now I just take it. :P) and eventually we went inside to watch some tv and warm up.  We talked and our faces were close and finally our noses were touching - he kissed me really quick on the lips then apologized ALL over himself until I told him it was ok and made him try again.  The ride home I sat in the middle of the seat in his truck and he sang to me and had his right arm around me the whole way home.  :)
    His couch at his old house.  :P
    Local - thank goodness!!
    Yes ma'am.  :)  We can't keep anything from the other one, even eating out.  We just don't see the need to. 
    Yes.  My sister and mom met him and within 30 seconds said, "If you break up with this one we'll disown you and adopt him."  And his mom and I are super close, and his dad is the best - I'm the daughter he never REALLY had.  :)
    Not unless we're asleep.  We've never been big farters around people.  :P  But we do burp.
    September 18, 2009 - June 27, 2010 : so 9 months, 9 days.  :)
    June 27, 2010 - May 1, 2011 :  I'd say pretty short. 
    Someplace with horses, LOTS of acreage, sunset, cows, dogs, and not a place in sight.  :)  Just us and nature, in our jeans, t-shirts, and boots.

His voice, his sense of humor, he was cute, country boy, great parents, caring, loving - I'll just stop now lol.
    Without a doubt in my mind.  He's definitely everything I'm not, and everything I need.  :)

• Options
    Bett2012Bett2012 member
    edited December 2011
    1. How did you meet him and how old were you?Shaking hands in church when we were 15.
    2. Was it love at first sight?Not really, just a "oh, (s)he's cute" (we both thought it, but didn't think anything of it until we started being friends and found out we liked each other's character)
    3. How did you know you were supposed to marry him?Gradual feeling
    4. What was the first date like?Walked to Tim Hortons after he came to watch my highschool music concert
    5. Where did your first kiss take place?Residence front hall in first year :P
    6. Dating... local or long distance?mostly local. We're in a co-op program, so the odd  4 month span is in another city a few hours away.
    7. Do you know everything there is to know about your husband?no, I'm excited to find out more :)

8. Were your parents supportive of you when you started dating?Yes
    9. Do you fart around each other?yea :P
    4 years.. dragged it out because of our program/age.. we're 20 and still have 2 more years of school with co-op placements  11. Long or short engagement?1 yr - we consider it long.
    12. If you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would that be?Australia
    13. What was one of the things that attracted you to your husband?Love of God
    14. Do you believe he is your soulmate?Yes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_survey-fidh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:720e85f9-a8d5-4a5a-9cce-eee4db72b48dPost:5bc98605-2dc0-435c-8d76-0f629529b3c9">Re: survey about FI/DH :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: survey about FI/DH :) : Wow you two were all over! Did you have a long engagement cuza travelling/visas? What did your mom say when you got engaged? Mine "joked" that if we got married, we had to live in the US! (i'm certain there's some truth to that lol)
    Posted by xstarx05x[/QUOTE]

<div>We had a long engagement mostly because of DH's school.  He's in grad school up in Boston, and we had a choice of Christmas or May.  I didn't like the idea of having a wedding in winter (and I was going to be swamped with law school applications), so we postponed until May.  </div><div>
    </div><div>My mom was very happy when she learned of the engagement.  DH asked my parents for permission and their blessing first, and they happily gave it.  My mom really wants me to stay in the U.S. (and move back to California), and I don't think she is particularly worried at this point about us moving to Brazil.  I don't really want to live there because I can't speak Portuguese.  And we're at least stuck here for now due to grad school.  </div><div>
    </div><div>But when we started dating... that was a different story.  My parents were a bit concerned, because I only told them about DH when he went back to Brazil after the program was over and both of us were heartbroken.  The challenges of long distance seemed insurmountable then, and I think they were a tad concerned how hurt we both seemed (but they also realized we were hurt because we cared for each so much).  It's amazing that we got through that.</div><div>
    </div><div>What's your story?</div>
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1. How did you meet him and how old were you? We were both out with friends one night and I was with my best friend who went to high school with him and she introduced us. I knew almost everyone he was with since I worked with a few of his friends and knew people through my best friend, but had never met DH.

2. Was it love at first sight? I don't believe in love at first sight as I believe you need to know someone to be "in love", but DH liked me from the moment he saw me. I wasn't interested in a relationship at the time since it had only been a few months since I had gotten out of a really bad relationship.

3. How did you know you were supposed to marry him?I just had that amazing feeling when we started getting serious that he was the one. He was so different than any other guy I've known. I know it sounds cliche, but it's so true.

4. What was the first date like? We went minigolfing and then back to my apartment and watched a movie. I originally had this nice evening planned of going downtown and getting some food and drinks and taking a walk along the river, but his stomach had been acting up all day so we didn't want to chance it by going out to eat and drink. But we still had so much fun, and it was awesome how there was never any awkward silence and everything just flowed.

5. Where did your first kiss take place? At my apartment after our 2nd date.. I still remember how nervous I was since I knew I liked him so much, but had just been through something so awful.

6. Dating... local or long distance? Local

7. Do you know everything there is to know about your husband? Yes, we truely are best friends. I can be completely myself around him and open up to him about anything and he's the same with me.

8. Were your parents supportive of you when you started dating? My parents were worried since they knew I had just gotten out of a 3 year abusive relationship and they weren't ready to welcome a new guy in to the family with open arms, but after meeting him a few times they could see how kind and gentle DH was with me and how different he was than guys in the past.

9. Do you fart around each other? Haha.. yes! I used to think that would never happen, but we're so comfortable around each other, and it's only human. Everyone does it, why hide it from the one person who shares everything with you. If you can't do it in your own home, where can you?! Also, we don't like to use the word "fart" it sounds dirty, I taught DH to say "boof" instead.

10. How long was it till you got engaged after you started dating? 8 months! But then we had a 16 month engagement.

11. Long or short engagement? Loooong

12. If you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would that be? Our HM to Fiji was incredible, next on our list is Europe.

13. What was one of the things that attracted you to your husband? How different he was.. how kind and humble he was and how he was such a gentleman to me and not a "typical guy".

14. Do you believe he is your soulmate? I'm not sure if I believe in soulmates, but I do believe he's perfect for me and I didn't compromise a thing with him.
  • Options
    yodacubyodacub member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    1. How did you meet him and how old were you? We kind of met at my sister's wedding - he was an usher.  We met for real a year later at my sister and bro-in-law's graduation party.  Through circumstances in the next month or so, we started talking on facebook, and then texting, and now here we are :) When we started talking I was 24 and he was 23.

2. Was it love at first sight? I don't really believe in love at first sight, we liked each other quickly though.

3. How did you know you were supposed to marry him? He claims he knew after our first date, after we had been dating a month he mentioned saving up for a ring.  It took me a few months of praying and spending time with him, and the knowledge just sort of crept up on me.

4. What was the first date like? He picked me up at my grandpa's cottage and we went to a state park and had a dessert picnic by the water.  We sat and talked for 2 hours, and any silences weren't awkward.  Then he came back to the cottage with me and hung out with my slightly crazy family for another hour before going home.

5. Where did your first kiss take place? At my apartment a week after becoming an official couple

6. Dating... local or long distance? Somewhat long distance - we live an hour and 15 minutes apart, so we spend weekends together but it's too far to see each other daily.

7. Do you know everything there is to know about your husband? I know a lot, we talk a lot due to the distance, but everything?  no.

8. Were your parents supportive of you when you started dating? Very supportive - they love FI!

9. Do you fart around each other? He does, I sometimes do accidently.

10. How long was it till you got engaged after you started dating? 9 months

11. Long or short engagement? 1 year and 6 days

12. If you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would that be? I'd say Europe.

13. What was one of the things that attracted you to your husband? How we could talk or be silent and it was just as comfortable.  Neither of us is a hugely talkative person, so comfortable silence is important to both of us.

14. Do you believe he is your soulmate? I don't know if I believe in soulmates, but he is who I'm supposed to spend the rest of my life with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    At work and we were both 23 (I was almost 24).
    I don't know, but I know I was very attracted to him and could see myself falling in love with him. 
    I  can't explain it. I just knew. I do believe that God placed us in each other's lives to become husband and wife. 
    At a restaurant near where we work. I was really excited and it went very well!
    Haha. In the parking lot of one of the schools in our district. He was dropping me off at my car after a date. 
    Local. 
    Pretty much. I think we all can discover new and exciting things about each other every day, but we have both shared our beliefs, morals, interests, future hopes, past experiences, etc. 
    Absolutely! They loved Ryan from the very start. They both said they knew he was the one from the moment they met him. 
    Ew. No. 
    1 year and 8 months and 1 day. Haha. 
    We were engaged for 364 days. One day shy of a year. I consider that to be an "average length" engagement. 
    Hmmm. I think anywhere we go would be amazing! I'd like to see Greece/Greek Isles. I love cruises and he has never been on one, so that would be fun too! We would love to go on the K*Love cruise but it's in the winter every year and it would be hard to get off work! 
    Initially, his looks. After I talked to him, it was his kind heart, sense of humor and work ethic. Among many other things! He's wonderful! 
    Yes! I believe God gave us each other and made us fit together perfectly. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I was 25, he was 23. Poli Sci 101 in College.

No.

He was the first man that I felt was a genuine servant of the Lord, and who I felt at home and at peace being with.

We went to a sushi restaurant, then went to play pool, then went to a movie, then went for a long drive.

Nine months after our first date at a hotel after we went out for dinner. 

Local.

No. I don't think that I ever will. There's something new that I learn about him every day.

Yes. My Mom actually thought for a second that I wasn't good enough for him.

Yes.

1 year, five months, 18 days.

We have a tenative date set in August 2012. Yet, we may push the date forward a year for financial reasons.

Japan. He was based there for two years of his active duty in the Marines and he speaks so fondly of that time. I'd love for him to play tour guide and take me to those places that he loved.

His faith.

Yes. If I wasn't going to marry him, I wanted to be single for the rest of my life.

"Who died and made you Dagon?" - stackeye210 I'm supposed to be falling for myself...and not falling for just any guy out there in the world.....
  • Options
    kcadonaukcadonau member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

1. How did you meet him and how old were you? we met at a brother/sister dorm section beach trip, i was 19 and he was almost 19

2. Was it love at first sight? not for me, although i was really interested, but it was for him

3. How did you know you were supposed to marry him? there was an incident with an ex-girlfriend (looong story...she's a drama queen) and i realized i couldn't lose him

4. What was the first date like? well, our first 'non-official' date was walking around downtown portland (he was very clear that it was not a date, we were just getting to know each other, but i think everybody knew it was one. we wandered around and got food at the mall (he paid). our first 'official' date we went bowling, got panda express and went to church lol

5. Where did your first kiss take place? portland waterfront

6. Dating... local or long distance? local

7. Do you know everything there is to know about your husband? pretty much

8. Were your parents supportive of you when you started dating? yes

9. Do you fart around each other? he does. haha

10. How long was it till you got engaged after you started dating? a year and a half

11. Long or short engagement? long-14 months

12. If you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would that be? probably just about anywhere where we can have a warm beach :)

13. What was one of the things that attracted you to your husband? his handsome smile and how confident he was in himself. also, he makes everyone laugh

14. Do you believe he is your soulmate? yes :) he's the only one i'd ever want to spend my life with

Formerly yarmik89 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. How did you meet him and how old were you?I met my FI in Dec 2009. I was 22 and he was 21. My neighbor was working with him and she showed him my pic and showed me his pic. lol. She gave him my number and we started texting and calling (i was stuck in my hometown because of the snow for Christmas break). In the beginning of January i got back to town and really met and started hanging out. (: 
    2. Was it love at first sight?No. I thought he was "kinda cute" but i was unsure about him.
    3. How did you know you were supposed to marry him?In April 2010... only a few months of dating.. but he called my at like 7am and started reading the Bible and praying. (: i knew i wanted to marry him! 4. What was the first date like?We had already met and had been hanging out for like two weeks. But on January 15, 2010 we went to a wonderful steakhouse (but i had chicken lol). He bought me perfume (it was jessica's simpson Fancy Love... i was wearing it the first time we met). We had dinner and then met with some friends and played pool. Then we went on a trail and just sat and talked. 
    5. Where did your first kiss take place?It was one time we were hanging out. my Fi looked at me and said "let me trying something" and leaned in for a kiss and i DENIED him! haha. later on we did kiss but it was funny. 
    6. Dating... local or long distance?the first 7 months we were not long distance... but then he went to ministry school for 9 months. it was VERY hard! but we got through it! 
    7. Do you know everything there is to know about your husband?not at all and i am ssooo excited to learn!
    8. Were your parents supportive of you when you started dating?yes, they trust my judgement... i met his family first and they fell in love with me.... and i with them! my aunt really loved him too! 9. Do you fart around each other?he's comfortable around me. lol. i dont know if i ever will. 10. How long was it till you got engaged after you started dating?11 months.. he proposed on Christmas 2010 and our 1 year was January 15. 
    11. Long or short engagement?on the shorter side. We will be engaged for 8 months.
     12. If you could go one place with him anywhere in the world where would that be?
    We actually talked about this last night. We agreed on hawaii. (:

13. What was one of the things that attracted you to your husband?uh.. a lot. his sense of humor... he can be such a goof ball. His lips.. they are GORGEOUS! and his potential to be an amazing spiritual leader!
    14. Do you believe he is your soulmate?yes, i do. my soul is happy with him. (:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards