Christian Weddings

Pastor Problems....vent...long

So, when FI and I decided we wanted to get married we definitely wanted a Christian wedding and for it to be in the eyes of God. Well, we talked to our SR pastor at our church about it who ripped me inside out. Which I did not expect, mind you. I probably cried for two or three days because I felt to raw and turned around. (We opened a lot of old wounds about me- something I, obviously, don't like to do). Well, in my childish, offended, frantic, emotional mood- I told FI to tell Pastor Joel that we weren't ready for him to do it but we still wanted him to pray at the wedding. Well, he had what I thought were ridiculous requests- membership, volunteering, personal counseling, etc. Turns out, he must have known what was going on because a few months later, I am doing everything he told me to do- mostly. (Still trying to find a couselor, or at least get one to email me back!!!!!)
Well, after that whole shi-bang, and I calmed down and FI calmed down we re-evaluated what we wanted.
FI brought up that he would like to have his childhood youth pastor do it. I was okay with that. But one of the problems that lies beneath is that this pastor, Rob, lives in Florida. We live in Ohio. So, we would have to pay to have him fly up and pay for a hotel room. Joel is local. So, that adds on at least $1000 on to our budget that we don't have.
Well, he flew down for a week to meet with Rob and discuss the wedding and our marriage and relationship. Okay, fine. NBD. Well, he came home and kept telling me he had to talk to me, he had to talk to me. He couldn't do it over the phone, but he had to talk to me. So, I got fed up and called Rob. I asked him what they talked about and he said, oh the whole living together thing?
I was shocked! I didn't know what to say!
Keep in mind, yes we do live in the same house, but we DO NOT live as a married couple. We do not have sex or do anything with any sort of sex involved at all.
I moved in with his parents in March because I left home and had nowhere else to go. They took me in as their own. (Abusive parents, I got sick of it and left.) Okay, it's 5 adults to a 2 bedroom condo. Like we could ever possibly have sex and no one would know it, anyways. I sleep in his sister's room with her in a bunk bed. Yes, a bunk bed.
Well, Rob told Alex that one of us had to move out. It was to protect his name. Fine, whatever. I don't agree with it, but whatever. So, I waited until FI got home that day before I exploded. And, I EXPLODED! I was a crying, mad, and hurt mess.
Rob told me that he would start looking for another family for me to live with. As if I wanted to be uprooted again. And financially, we cannot afford rent nor get approved for an apartment.
Meanwhile, I am praying about it and praying about my life. I have felt moved towards Joel and our church. Well, he is being stubborn and wants to stay with Rob regardless. FI is trying to prove Rob wrong. Idk why he can't just drop it.
Bottomline, FI has now turned into an a$$hole about the whole ordeal and I may just whack him.
I feel myself being pulled towards Joel, not Rob.

UGH!
Advice?
Sorry it's confusing and runs together. I could cry.

Re: Pastor Problems....vent...long

• yodacubyodacub member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I don't have any specific advice for you, other than to possibly look for another pastor - is there a second pastor at the church you attend?  It seems to me that you have very good reasons for both living with his parents, and getting out of an abusive situation was the right thing to do. 

I'm praying for you and your FI that you will be able to find someone to marry you, and that a counselor will email you back.  It seems like solid advice to me to get some counseling, both individually and as a couple.
  • edited December 2011
    It's not like you guys have your own apartment with just the two of you, so I don't really see the issue.  Did your FI make the situation completely clear?

In any case, I recommend that you seek out a third option for pastor.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry, but you're going to keep running into this again and again and again. And I don't think trying to find a pastor who agrees with you is the best option.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • edited December 2011
    I personally don't see why living with your FI's family (you're not "living with" him in the way that 99.9% of people think of when you use that phrasing) is a problem. In some ways I think it might even be more helpful than you both having your own places because you can't go back to one of your apartments and do things you'll regret.

However, Rob apparently has that conviction in terms of what couples he will and won't marry. I mean it's really strict but at least he is not just throwing these rules at you with no alternative, he is trying to help you find housing.

Now in terms of you and your FI, I don't know what sort of communication rapport you and your FI have developed for situations when you are apart but need to have serious conversations, so perhaps your FI should have told you himself about Rob's concerns earlier (that would depend on the situation, you know, if it was only a day or something he had to wait so he could tell you in person, that would be different than waiting a week and a half). However, I do think it's odd that if your FI wouldn't tell you what was going on you would go behind his back to talk to Rob about it.

Finally, while Joel may seem like the more logical option right now, who will marry you is a decision for you and your FI to make together. Honestly it sounds like you're both being stubborn and you need to compromise.
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm more concerned about that fact that you can't afford rent or get approved for an apartment.  Will you continue to live with his family after you're married, then?
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_pastor-problemsventlong?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:9cc60478-ee23-4bd3-9cf8-4f256656a93ePost:6be839e3-cfa0-4003-a37c-0d5e8381d39b">Re: Pastor Problems....vent...long</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm more concerned about that fact that you can't afford rent or get approved for an apartment.  Will you continue to live with his family after you're married, then?
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

We can get approved together, no separately. So no, we won't. But, because I have no credit- dumb- it's nearly impossible. His debt to income ratio is awful- two cars- that makes it challenging too. However, with both of our incomes combined, it makes us look much better. I am looking around and asking questions to people though.
    And yes, I agree with PP. I do see all sides of it. And yes, I am being stubborn. And yes, I do know that we will continue to run into problems. And no, we are not searching around for other pastors. I think that's dumb frankly. But, I believe, and so does his family, that your senior pastor should do the ceremony, not some childhood memory that has changed over time.
    He wasn't telling me for about a week and I was getting sick over it. I told him to just tell me but he refused. And, I hate that I called Rob at this point. But, to be honest I was not expecting that blow at all. I was actually calling to see if FI had called Rob and to see if something was wrong with him. But, that's what I got.
    I can sit here all day and discuss this with you ladies. />.<
    The bottom line here is obviously a communication error, or lack of communication that needs to be worked out...
    Hopefully, with the couseling sessions we are both attending, this will come to a head and we will HAVE to talk about it, both as individuals and as a couple.
    Please pray that a counselor calls me or emails me back.
    Thanks! I love you all!
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're right, you guys just need to figure out what's going on.  I don't see a problem with having the youth pastor marry you guys - the person who married us was not the senior pastor of the church we were attending at the time - but if that's what you decide you need to A) make sure it's ok with the church you're using and B) figure out how to follow Rob's rules about not living together (though I agree that you're living with his family).  If the two of you can't or don't want to find a new place for one of you, then your decision is made for you - Rob won't marry you because, right or wrong, you're not in line with his expectations.  So really, the communication issue is between you and fi (which you already know) and somehow you guys have to come to an agreement (which you also already know).  How that happens?  Only God knows :-P

In all seriousness, I hope that you are able to come to an agreement or find a compromise soon.
  • AllyG303AllyG303 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_pastor-problemsventlong?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:9cc60478-ee23-4bd3-9cf8-4f256656a93ePost:8a3062a5-02e1-4bfe-a6b4-7945ff690620">Re: Pastor Problems....vent...long</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're right, you guys just need to figure out what's going on.  I don't see a problem with having the youth pastor marry you guys - the person who married us was not the senior pastor of the church we were attending at the time - but if that's what you decide you need to A) make sure it's ok with the church you're using and B) figure out how to follow Rob's rules about not living together (though I agree that you're living with his family).  If the two of you can't or don't want to find a new place for one of you, then your decision is made for you - Rob won't marry you because, right or wrong, you're not in line with his expectations.  So really, the communication issue is between you and fi (which you already know) and somehow you guys have to come to an agreement (which you also already know).  How that happens?  Only God knows :-P In all seriousness, I hope that you are able to come to an agreement or find a compromise soon.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

this about sums up my opinion, too
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a youth pastor and having the senior pastor marry you doesn't make you any more married ;) 

Frankly, standards depend on the denomination. Premarital counseling is a huge part of our requirements to get married but membership or anything else isn't. I have HUGE issues with people living together before marriage, but I think you're totally fine. I would do it if we were in that situation. 

I would find a different pastor to do it. There really is no difference between pastor's marrying you other than sentimental value. 

I hope you get it all worked out! 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

The way you guys are living together shouldn’t be a problem but it sounds like it is.  Was this a problem for Joel?

How long have you guys been together?  I know you are looking for a counselor but don't stop.  Is there any way you can get any recommendation from your church for one?

What exactly did the SP say that ripped you apart?  I'm curious but you don't have to tell me either.

Honestly I don't think you should jump around till you find a pastor who agrees with you.  Either pick Joel or Rob.  If you think you have offended Joel just apologies and be up front about your feelings.  If you offended him I am sure he will forgive you.  And if Rob isn't in your budget well then I think the decision is made for you. 

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• edited December 2011
    Raven:
    1. No, it wasn't a problem. He mentioned it, but told us to just stop having sex. So, we did.
    2. We have been friends for 7+ years, and dating for almost 2 years.
    3. Thanks for the encouragement- I may reach out to Joel's wife again (she referred me to a few places, but she may have better ways to get ahold of people)
    4. I have asked around- they're working on it.
    5. Joel just really made me re-evaluate my life. Which I wasn't really ready to do. I shared a lot about myself and it was slightly embarassing at the time. That's what did it. We were in Starbucks and I was a sob-fest. UGH!
    I have decided to just let it go for now and pray about it. God will work it out. If there is a compromise- I at least want Joel involved- that's super important to me. :)

• ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_pastor-problemsventlong?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:9cc60478-ee23-4bd3-9cf8-4f256656a93ePost:66a78ec0-2219-45da-90d1-603e764d9f10">Re: Pastor Problems....vent...long</a>:
    [QUOTE]Raven: 1. No, it wasn't a problem. He mentioned it, but told us to just stop having sex. So, we did. 2. We have been friends for 7+ years, and dating for almost 2 years. 3. Thanks for the encouragement- I may reach out to Joel's wife again (she referred me to a few places, but she may have better ways to get ahold of people) 4. I have asked around- they're working on it. 5. Joel just really made me re-evaluate my life. Which I wasn't really ready to do. I shared a lot about myself and it was slightly embarassing at the time. That's what did it. We were in Starbucks and I was a sob-fest. UGH! I have decided to just let it go for now and pray about it. God will work it out. If there is a compromise- I at least want Joel involved- that's super important to me. :)
    Posted by GApeachOH[/QUOTE]
    That is great!  I hope God shows you his plan shortly :)
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards