Christian Weddings

how many of you are....

2»

Re: how many of you are....

• edited December 2011
    Guess I'm kind of late on this, BUT... We are having beer and wine only, during cocktail hour and dinner and shutting down the alcohol after dinner. That way, people can have a glass of wine or beer if they want, but no one will be able to go overboard. My friend did this at her wedding this past summer and it was wonderful. If you have family history of alcohol abuse, then I completely understand having a dry wedding! Dry weddings are just as fun and besides, it's about celebrating the marriage, not about what there is to drink. If anyone gets mad at you or doesn't come because you don't have alcohol, then they aren't truly there for YOU anyway, ya know? Whatever you decide, it's YOUR wedding and you have to do what is best for you. 
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_many-of?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:aff3683e-72bd-4221-8e07-aa887e430d7aPost:2654a70f-a316-4fdc-84cc-a0aebdc732ab">Re: how many of you are....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Guess I'm kind of late on this, BUT... We are having beer and wine only, during cocktail hour and dinner and shutting down the alcohol after dinner. That way, people can have a glass of wine or beer if they want, but no one will be able to go overboard. My friend did this at her wedding this past summer and it was wonderful. If you have family history of alcohol abuse, then I completely understand having a dry wedding! Dry weddings are just as fun and besides, it's about celebrating the marriage, not about what there is to drink. If anyone gets mad at you or doesn't come because you don't have alcohol, then they aren't truly there for YOU anyway, ya know? Whatever you decide, it's YOUR wedding and you have to do what is best for you. 
    Posted by AshNoel8[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>thank you for saying all of that! i agree! (:</div>
  • BeazillaBeazilla member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cash bars are rude -- never make your guests pay for part of your wedding. If you don't drink or otherwise don't want to provide alcohol, then have a dry reception. It is acceptable to have a dry reception, but cash bars are never acceptable. You can do mocktails or have other fun drinks instead. An earlier ceremony and reception will also make the lack of alcohol less noticeable to your guests who are used to drinking at receptions.

We're having an open bar because we do drink, my family all drinks, and most of his family drinks. Culturally, my family would find it strange for us not to offer at least beer and wine at the reception. There is still tea, coffee, and other NA options for his mom and anyone else who doesn't want alcohol.
  • edited December 2011
    We are having a dry reception, but mostly because my entire family does not drink.  FI's family does, and at his sister's wedding all the pictures that were taken after the first toast are of less than modest quality(literally there is not a single picture of his sister-THE BRIDE- without a bottle of champagne in her hand) and we didn't want to face that, so we prayed about it for a long time(3 months almost, praying daily and talking with our pastor) and really felt as though God was leading us toward having a dry reception.  We are doing flavored coffees, teas, hot chocolates and spiced ciders and are only planning for the reception to last about 2 hours.  Other than our first dance there probably will end up being no dancing at our wedding, but we're fine with that. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket image Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    My FI and I are having beer and wine and maybe a signature drink at the reception, but nothing stronger than that.  Mainly it's an expense thing, though I'm not so sure about the idea of shots at the reception.  The Bible doesn't say not to drink at all, but just not to be drunk - Jesus even drank, including during celebrations, so it isn't something that bothers my conscience or anything. 

That said, I don't think it's anything wrong with not having alcohol at the reception.  Not so sure how much I agree with the sentiment of "we don't drink so no one else should either," since like a few PPs said, the reception is a "thank you" to your guests, and it's not like we're talking about sponsoring an orgy or anything clearly against the Bible.  Also, it's hard to make a dry reception really fun, because drinking, like it or not, does help people socialize and relax.  Not saying impossible - the best reception I ever went to was dry - but you have to have the right circumstances to make that work. 

But if I had to choose b/w a dry reception and a cash bar, I'd go dry first.  Again, reception = thank you gift to guests for attending the ceremony.  Just sayin'.
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I completely disagree with the assertion that it's hard to make dry receptions fun. I've never actually been to a reception WITH alcohol- and I've had fun every single time. And I do drink socially.

There are many people who are against alcohol for religious reasons, and those are there beliefs. There is some debate on whether the wine Jesus drank was actually fermented wine, since the social customs were different. Now, I personally believe it was fermented wine, but the point is that other people are welcome to their own opinions and it is not as simple as it is made out to be at times.
  • Kensi1217Kensi1217 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we had a completely sober wedding. not a drop of alcohol in the place. even the heavy partiers said that it was a nice wedding & that we didn't need any alcohol. they said it was a nice, peaceful, family oriented wedding, a nice change from the usual crazy druken receptions they are used to.

( btw, i am from  south Louisiana & my wedding was held there) hah sober weddings are very very few there!

do what you feel ladies, whether you want alcohol or not. its your day.

& seeing as how this is on a Christian board...you pray about it & your decision is between you & your fiance and God & don't worry about the what the others think!
  • edited December 2011
    We are not. 
    His family does not drink, and we don't either. Plus, some of my family can get a little wild around alcohol. And no one likes that.
    We are also pretty poor, and trying to keep things as cheap as possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards