Christian Weddings
Options

Anniversary Dance Advice

Excuse me while I ramble for a minute...

For those of you who did one or already have yours planned- how long(ish) is/are your song(s) and what's the breakdown?

I was thinking 1 day, 1 year (we have  A LOT of newleywed friends), 5 years, 10, 20, 30, 40, etc.  If we did one every 30 seconds, we'd get to 40 years, and I know there are several couples edging on 60+ years of marriage.  I'm thinking do 1 every 30 sec until 20 years, and then go every 15 seconds. 

Yeah...it's down to this tiny of a detail now.  Just wondering if that sounds okay...my mom has never heard of an anniversary dance and neither has our emcee/sound guy, so I have to make sure I know what I'm explaining.  :) 

Thanks, ladies!!  Hope you're having a wonderful Sunday!!

Re: Anniversary Dance Advice

• Options
    Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've only attended one wedding where they did this and that's how they did it. I think it will be fine. Most people won't even notice the difference.
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_anniversary-dance-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:c551e5b0-97c5-4e81-ba20-694f3c635911Post:9b9dce72-7b83-4bd2-9998-6bcac73667b8">Re: Anniversary Dance Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've only attended one wedding where they did this and that's how they did it. I think it will be fine. Most people won't even notice the difference.
    Posted by Purple&7[/QUOTE]
    I know they won't notice the different spacing...I just don't want to run out of song, or clear the floor halfway through the song. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]Excuse me while I ramble for a minute... For those of you who did one or already have yours planned- how long(ish) is/are your song(s) and what's the breakdown? I was thinking 1 day, 1 year (we have  A LOT of newleywed friends), 5 years, 10, 20, 30, 40, etc.  <strong>If we did one every 30 seconds, we'd get to 40 years, and I know there are several couples edging on 60+ years of marriage.  I'm thinking do 1 every 30 sec until 20 years, and then go every 15 seconds.  Yeah...it's down to this tiny of a detail now.</strong>  Just wondering if that sounds okay...my mom has never heard of an anniversary dance and neither has our emcee/sound guy, so I have to make sure I know what I'm explaining.  :)  Thanks, ladies!!  Hope you're having a wonderful Sunday!!
    Posted by fpaemp2011[/QUOTE]

Oh good gravy breathe haha.   We did one, but we knew we had a couple 50+ years.  My advice and idea:

Have everyone start the dance on the floor and give them the first verse to dance or something.  Then say 25 years or more, stay on the floor and give them the chorus.  Then 50 years or more, next verse, and then just start asking years like 60, 62, 65?  However long the oldest couple has been married and give them the last verse or chorus or whatever.  That way everyone has a chance to dance, but it's not chaos lol.  We just played a song and asked who the longest married couple was until we found them.  :P
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think our DJ is just going to do his thing. He has done a lot of anniversary dances, so I trust his timing. I think your breakdown sounds very good! Good planning! 
  • Options
    FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_anniversary-dance-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:c551e5b0-97c5-4e81-ba20-694f3c635911Post:44d98877-7eff-445c-827b-4f11f4f7f0a4">Re: Anniversary Dance Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh good gravy breathe haha.   We did one, but we knew we had a couple 50+ years.  My advice and idea: Have everyone start the dance on the floor and give them the first verse to dance or something.  Then say 25 years or more, stay on the floor and give them the chorus.  Then 50 years or more, next verse, and then just start asking years like 60, 62, 65?  However long the oldest couple has been married and give them the last verse or chorus or whatever.  That way everyone has a chance to dance, but it's not chaos lol. <strong> We just played a song and asked who the longest married couple was until we found them.  :P</strong>
    Posted by LittleBigO[/QUOTE]
    I LOVE this idea and think it's much easier than the way most people do it. :)

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ya..i like what Beth said. having everyone start out and making your way up to the longest. (:
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our dj handled this part.. I would say that he jumped 5 or 10 years every 20-30 seconds of the song.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE] I LOVE this idea and think it's much easier than the way most people do it. :)
    Posted by FaithCaitlin[/QUOTE]

It was so easy and no stress at all!!  I just started the song, announced that we weren't doing a bouquet toss, but we're doing something called a bouquet give away basically.  Then I explained what it was and then asked who the longest married couple is.  They told us and I walked to them and gave them the bouquet and told them they were our inspiration, and here's to many more.  :)  They loved it.

I wouldn't stress it too much!!  In all honesty, they're just going to be proud you thought of them when you give them the bouquet, and in a month all that detail on timing won't matter.  And the more minutely you plan EACH SECOND of the song, the more that won't time out correctly lol.  Are you going to stand up front staring at your watch and after 15 seconds go, "Ope!!  It's been another 15 seconds - 25 years?"  I know you won't do that but still lol - don't worry too hard.
  • Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you're overthinking it and I totally get not wanting the floor clear halfway through or running out of music.  I think the way you have it lined up (30 s, then 15 s) sounds perfect.  As long as you and the DJ/emcee are on the same page it will be great!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    And I'm definitely not trying to say what you have won't work!!  I think what you have will be fine - I just don't want you to stress over it.  :P  I'm sorry if I came across wrong!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards