Christian Weddings
Options

House/Apartment hunting?

Okay, here's a question perfect for our new Christian board.  When are you starting the house/apartment hunting process?

On my club board, most of the couples already live together, there's only a few of us who don't.  So when's a good time to start looking?  I'm thinking we'd probably rent for a few years before buying a home, but we're still six months out and I feel like that's a little early for apartment hunting!  When are you guys starting?

J
Jacki and Wes ~ 10.2.10
Perfect love drives out fear.

Re: House/Apartment hunting?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I already have my own apartment that my FI will move into after we're married, unles we find a cheaper place to live. My parents are currently trying to buy a property with 2 houses on 1 lot that already has some tenants living in the small house. They want to rent out the big one to us. So we're praying that the bank accepts the offer!
  • Options
    iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My DH and I did not live together until we were married.  I had a house and he didn't so he moved in with me after the wedding.  My sister and brother-in-law also didn't live together and they bought their house and closed the month of the wedding.  Then they moved in after.

I think wedding planning can be a little stressful and buying a house is very stressful so I think if I didn't already have a house, I would have rather found an apt. and then after I was married, look for a house.  I think you want to have both of your belongings in the apt./house and settled before the wedding day so probably starting to look 3 months out would be enough time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married on May 22 so we have already put a despoit down and signed a lease.  I am going to be moving in to the new place at the end of April and then he'll move in after we get back from the honeymoon! I'm really excited about getting the move over with!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll have a month left on my lease when we get married, so he'll move in with me.  Then, who knows!  He's looking for a teaching job, well, anywhere, and I will follow, because I can get a wider variety of jobs.  Around here, though, there's no way you could look for an apt. 3 months before you need it.  Landlords don't even advertise until about a month before!

I will not be buying a house for a long time. Until we know we are settled for a while.  I have already had two friends buy houses and one moved out after less than a year (luckily her aunt is renting it).  The other couple most likely won't be able to continue with their current jobs, so who knows. 
  • Options
    desi2002desi2002 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are looking for a house after the wedding. Right now we live in a one bedroom apartment.  
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic me and my daddy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I both own our own places so the plan is for him to find a tenant a month before the wedding and then he'll move in with me when we get back from our honeymoon.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    jsimmjsimm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance purchased a house a year ago, in August, and I'm in an apartment.  My lease is up this summer, 3 months before the wedding.  Unfortunately, I'll have to haul most of my stuff (and myself) back to my parents, and move the majority of my stuff in the week before the wedding, so we can just go "home" after our wedding.  If I can, I'm going to move as much of the non-neccessities to his house over the summer.  It will be so nice to end these daily drives we take to/from each other's homes.  Does anyone else feel that way?  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jacki_suejacki_sue member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE] It will be so nice to end these daily drives we take to/from each other's homes.  Does anyone else feel that way?  
    Posted by jsimm[/QUOTE]

AbsoLUTEly.  And we only live three blocks apart!!
    Jacki and Wes ~ 10.2.10
    Perfect love drives out fear.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We just purchased a townhouse together. We would have probably waited until after the wedding to buy, because we certainly have enough on our plates right now, but the tax credit for first time home buyers made it more than worth while.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It seems that it'd depend on where you live and which complexes you're interested in. If you're near a university/college/grad school, you'd probably want to look sooner rather than later because the spots can (and do!) fill up. Most of the complexes in our city are on the sketchy side, and we would've started looking in June, once school got out and people left. Right now, though, it'd be difficult because the complex we would've wanted is full.

In the end, though, we're renting a 2-bedroom on the bottom floor of a home of one of the faculty members at our school. FI was renting from them already, but someone wanted his room and the apartment was open, so we negotiated. Come summer, he'll move upstairs and I'll move into the apartment so that we'll be in the same house, which will be fun and make life ever so much easier when the moving in together part comes along in August.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FI and I put a down payment on a condo a couple months ago.  It's brand new, and it looks like it will be finished late May.  After that FI will move into it.  I'll be joining after we get married in October.
    I don't know if its really ever too early to begin looking and seeing whats out there in your price range. 
  • Options
    DanielleB80DanielleB80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm moving to NC soon and will rent. FH is in Kuwait until October but will be stationed in Columbus, GA until 12/2011. We'll be married for a few months before he gets out of the Army, then we will FINALLY be able to live together. When he moves to NC we plan to buy house.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker imageGraphics
  • Options
    TysWife2BeTysWife2Be member
    edited December 2011
    We live together in an apartment but we would like to buy a house in a few years...
    AAW June 2011 Siggy Challenge : "Daddy and Me"

Photobucket

Wedding Planning Blog (Updated 10/18/10)

• Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We already live together in his grandmother's old house, but we plan on house hunting as soon as the wedding is over. We don't want to rent because we feel that the money we pay each month in rent should go towards owning our own home.
  • Options
    rccola1981rccola1981 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wasn't a big fan of living together but I had bought a house and was finding it was all I could do to keep up on payments and his lease ended the end of last month so he moved in...I would've taken a second job if we weren't engaged but since we had the committment to marry and were making plans it made more sense to me...
    "I said what I meant and I meant what I said, an elephant's faithful 100%" Dr. Seuss, Horton Hatches The Egg. My Ovulation Chart Ttc buddies with LexiMS!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If my fiance gets a job in Austin, then he will move in with me after the wedding.  If he gets a job in Dallas, then he will move before the wedding and get a place and then I will move after the wedding.  Go ahead and pray that he gets a job in Austin.  A job in Dallas means 3 months of being long distance, him not being able to attend the rehearsal and barely getting a day off for the wedding, delayed honeymoon, and me quitting my job of 8 yrs and us starting over somewhere brand new.  Yikes!  But.. God's will!
    Expecting our first... Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we moved in together prior to actually dating.  there is a group of us that live in a house together...but once we're married we're oging to move into an apt at first.

hmm...probably start looking around august. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We just started looking and will be moving in all our stuff the week before the wedding in June, but we won't actually live there until we get back from our honeymoon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
  • Options
    cjbwifey2010cjbwifey2010 member
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married in July and have put an offer on a house now. We plan on to close on May 3rd and start the painting process, etc. But the house is in Orlando, and we live in Tampa now...not together (he has his own apt and i have my own). FI is already looking to transfer from his job here to the same one in Orlando. I on the other hand have to stay here until June because i work for the school system as a speech therapist.

We wont be moving in to the house together until after the wedding but FI may move in before me if he gets the job there and has to start sooner.

Sooo excited!
  • Options
    felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I live in two different appartments.  My mom recentally inharited her dad's place and decided to continue paying her half of our rent, but live in his home.  So, FI will be moving in to my place with me...praying mom gets all of her stuff out first so he can start moving in before hand.  He is getting rid of all of his kitchen stuff for mine, and we both have massive desks we built in high school that we don't want to get rid of...and yet want a guest room.  Hmm... Oh, and did I mention we might be moving to Wyoming the month after the wedding???!!!  He is candidating for a pastoral job there and it starts in august...so basically our honeymoon would be driving in a u-haul from Oregon to Wyoming...we better atleast get to stop and see yellowstone! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards