Washington-Seattle
Options

Serious baby fever!

So some one in my office is pregnant. Some one in our other office in OR is pregnant too.... A friend is pregnant, people are having babies.. and i have SERIOUS baby fever. FI wanted kids 3 years ago or more... I wanted to wait another 3 years after getting married to start trying. I'm not sure I can wait that long anymore. FI's dream is to conceive on our honeymoon...

are you girls in the same boat?

edit: i didn't mean i wanted to start having babies right now, we are DEF waiting until after the wedding. i meant i don't think i can wait the 3 years i had originally wanted.
BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker we're having twins!

Re: Serious baby fever!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I want one, but at the same time I'm scared.  Plus, I want us to build up some more savings before we have a child, not to mention I told FI next season he might be able to do an ametuer season on the track since the wedding will be done with by then.
    Family fall photo session with Ashley Hoyle Photography
    Married 7/10/10
    Wedding Planning Bio - Updated 6/13/2010
    Anniversary
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    jennuinnejennuinne member
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Jennuinne- i've heard the same thing. People always say.. oh, i'm gonna wait for this or that but they always wish theyw ouldn't have waited so long. Something will always come up.

Tygirl- he can still be on the track while you're prego.

We definitely want to get a bigger place but we'll be doing that shortly before the wedding or after.  So either way we'll have time before we actually have the baby.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am zero help to you.

Hi.  My name is Jenny, and I have SERIOUS baby fever!  I am the biggest Bump-lurker ever, and can barely wait the 3.5 months until my wedding is over so that I can get knocked-the-f-up.

Seriously.  Last night I was at the FILs, and we were looking at FI's baby pics for our "slideshow".  It only made my baby fever that much worse!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ArchelArchel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha Jenny! :)  I will admit that since being engaged (and more likely, since being on the knot), I have been thinking about babies more than before. Before, I was dead set on waiting about 4 years after marriage....now I'm talking myself down from that. It's still quite a ways away from now, but it's more like 2.5-3 years...although my FI still wants to wait the 4.  It's hard to *not* think about babies - and especially if your FI is all on board, Sara, then why not go for it shortly after marriage!? Hah, I don't think any of us are any help. 

But if you think you are ready, why not introduce a bundle of joy (and restless nights, and temper tantrums, and report cards, and peer pressure, and a college fund) into your life? Laughing  (That was my attempt at talking you out of it)
    - Rachel

Married 11/6/10

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sara - Umm, yeah, the cost of a race season = pretty much how much we're spending on the wedding.  So, baby will have to wait. 
    Married 7/10/10
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    omg.. why does it cost so much to race? That is SOOO ridiculous.. change of plans S, not gonna happen! :) thats what i'd say to your fI!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lol, no, that's not fair.  He's wanted to race for a few years now and has had to put it off for my ring, then the house, now the wedding...he deserves a season. :)
    Married 7/10/10
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sarack just remember how much a baby costs. I am excited to have kids. Just not excited to be pregnet, in fact I am dreading it. FI has serious baby fever. We are already designing the nursery and looking for baby furnature.
    imageimageimage
    Newlywed Athlete Blog
    DD Arrived 10/17/2011
    2012 Races
    Valentine's Day Dash - 5k - 2/11/12 - 34:21
    Kirkland 5k - 5/13/12 - 31:59
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I changed my siggy to a shoe because I thought it would help. Ha!

Sorry about the massive baby fever. I think since the days of marriage after three months of knowing each other are mostly gone, that couples are waiting longer to have babies, and it gets harder to wait. We wanted a year of marriage ourselves and then tried. It took almost two years for a successful pregnancy.

I could try to discourage you, but then I'd sound like one of those women who regrets having kids, and I don't. I will say that having your house in order, knowing how to maintain it and how to cook would have helped me a great deal. I kind of learned as I went.

Oh, and my initial response (stolen from a Bumpie's husband) is "they make Tylenol for that"
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tygirl - my friends (actually hubby's co-worker) wanted to race for a season....now they're hooked and Pacific Raceway is no longer good enough for them.  They spend their weekends driving to CA for track days, etc.  --  waayyyy more expensive than a wedding!  Maybe you could get him a new set of tires as a wedding gift?  They love it and are having the best time ever, but it sure does take a big hit out of your pocketbook!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ohh....and no baby fever for me!  No way! No how! Not ever!  But I love other people's babies...just as long as I can give them back. 
  • Options
    dawnies79dawnies79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am DEFINITELY no help to you. I recently introduced my self to the ladies on The Bump (who are great btw), and I'm already researching baby stuff even though we won't TTC for another 6 months to a year. My DH calls me a "baby watcher" because if there is a baby within a 10 mile radius I spot them and start smiling. You are SO not alone!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic EDD: September 22, 2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i'm no help either. i get baby fever all.the.time, my bff and i go to babys r us for fun, and pick out all our nursery stuff. what makes it worse is fi wants a baby about ten times more than i do. if he had it his way, i would be knocked up the day we get married. i'm a planner and a little more realistic, so we're gonna wait about a year before trying. however, i know fi is going to make the BEST dad, and i cant wait to give him that someday.
    Anniversary
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Darby - oh trust me, I know.  FI has 2 bikes (one motard for the road and one sport bike for the track) and works/volunteers/rides with one of the companies that puts on track days - in fact he has a track day tomorrow.  He's always buying stuff to work on the bike and going through tires and all that.  And he always talks about wanting to go to Miller or Thunderhill and all the other far-flung places.  But he's wanted to for a while now and his friends have all been on him to do a season for a few years so I figure he deserves at least one season. :)
    Married 7/10/10
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011

yes babies cost a lot, is this your attempt to discourage me? it didn't work:0). money isn't everything and you can NEVER been completely ready for kids.. even millions of dollars won't set you up to be a parent.

i'm way too superstitious to start setting up the nursery before i conceive....

FI and I have been together for 10 years this year. We'll probably try next year sometime. I'm excited some of you could be having babies at the same time as me! Exciting! We can have baby GTGs!

• Options
    dawnies79dawnies79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_serious-baby-fever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:104Discussion:887fba8f-9dfd-42b4-b02c-c1a76a0c81bcPost:ff102791-e0b9-42e2-8fc5-4fe6a2880565">Re: Serious baby fever!</a>:
    [QUOTE]. i'm way too superstitious to start setting up the nursery before i conceive....
    Posted by sarack[/QUOTE]
    Me too. Plus I think I would want to wait until we know the sex (however we are still undecided on if we will find out or not).
    I can't even go into baby stores. I've limited myself to books and internet research for now.  The actual stores would be too tempting for me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic EDD: September 22, 2012 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Money IS a big deal though. Just the cost of delivering a baby can be over 12 thousand dollars. Buying supplies for a baby can cost up to 5k or more. What if there's a medical problem?  Someone on my local had over 100k in medical bills after having twins. We want to be at the BEST place we can possibly be financially before we have a kid. FI will be done with school and have a job, and I want to have at least 5k in a baby fund, seperate from our regular savings, and our regular "cushion" which I also want to be at least 5k. And no debt besides our mortgage. Luckily we are currently buying a house that wil be great for kids, so we have that step covered at least :) oh and I want to buy a newer car for FI, a nice safe one! And have it paid off. I don't do anything  unless I'm well prepared hehe.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oooo baby GTG's! That will be fun since we will all be doing babies around the same time....
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    alyssa324alyssa324 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    okay here is the voice of reason all you fever sick women LOL Do it when YOU are ready.Not before not after. When I say ready I don't mean financially. That doesn't matter quite as much as emotionally ready. I belong to a stay at home moms club and I hear it all.. Girls who got knocked up to young (like me),  women who wait to be financially ready but the wait ends up being too long, Because their bodies gave up and now they must rely on the doctors. Which is soooo expensive. Or there is those who their husband pressured them and now they are all overwhelmed not really knowing how to handle things. Dont get me wrong everyone will get overwhelmed but they are different because their maternal instinct hasn't really caught up with them yet. Its more being forced to come. But if you all truely have caught the fever and aren't being pressured in any way you are ready. Everyone has fears. I had tanner when I was 19 and was soooo scared but the moment I had him I knew what to do. The motherly instincts just take over :)

BUT SAY GOODBYE TO SLEEP REALLY YOU WILL NEVER SLEEP AS GOOD AS YOU SLEEP NOW EVER AGAIN. EVEN WHEN YOU SLEEP GOOD YOUR CHILDREN STILL STAY ON YOUR MIND AND YOU SLEEP WITH ONE EYE AND TWO EARS OPEN :)

karebear- I loved being pregnant there is nothing to be afraid of. I was very sick with one and great with the other but I still loved it. I don't want any more kids ummm from me?? (we plan to foster and adopt) but I am so sad to never be pregnant again. If one of my sisters or even best friend asked I would be a surrogate in a heart beat 

now to help with the baby fever here is my cuties as babies LOL

tanner 1 year old

and brooklyn 4 mo

aww they we so cute. sorry I couldn't help myself also sorry for such a long response. I am still trying to cool down so anything non wedding related is god right now :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Personally I say if you're ready and he's ready, why not start trying? If you're both financially stable and can easily take care of a child, why not start before the wedding? Worst that could happen is you're prego during the wedding, and at most you'd be like 3 mo's along. You wouldn't even be showing yet.
    I'm not gonna try and talk you out of it because I think you sound like you're ready!  So good luck if you two decide to try! Let us know what you decide!

Married 7/17/2010 Photobucket PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_serious-baby-fever?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:104Discussion:887fba8f-9dfd-42b4-b02c-c1a76a0c81bcPost:989cc26c-4756-476a-a5b0-96590c2498bf">Re: Serious baby fever!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Money IS a big deal though. Just the cost of delivering a baby can be over 12 thousand dollars. Buying supplies for a baby can cost up to 5k or more. What if there's a medical problem?  Someone on my local had over 100k in medical bills after having twins. We want to be at the BEST place we can possibly be financially before we have a kid.
    Posted by hayleymajayley[/QUOTE]

I think it would be irresponsible to NOT think about money before discussing having babies. That said, you'll never know if there will be a medical problem or not. I'm crazy about planning and have already looked into what my insurance covers. I'm lucky to have great insurance and once we're married, no matter how we deliver, we won't have to pay anything out of pocket.  Also, I think that waiting until you have 100k sitting around incase there is a medical problem or an issue is silly. I would feel like I"m saving for there to be a problem. Money is a huge deal, but not the biggest. And i'm not an idiot, I wouldn't have a baby without feeling like I was financially capable of taking care of a child.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    brandy- i don't want to start before we get married. my parents weren't married when they had me.. and never got married and that is just something i've always wanted to wait for. i understand where you are coming from and i completely agree, if you're ready, do it.

PLUS, we are going to an all inclusive adult only resort and i want to get my money's worth. plus.. id ont' want to feel like sh!t if morning sickness decides to take over my life.

alyssa- i love the voice of reason! thank you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Alyssa, that was really well said!  Aaaaand, it also didn't help my fever.  Maybe I need some of that tylenol the bumpies were talking about.  I'm afraid to wait until I'm much older because I don't want to find out my body doesn't work!  I am absolutely looking forward to the being pregnant part, and I would be SO sad if I couldn't do that!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Baby fever.... right here. But we're definitely waiting till the wedding. Thankfully, we're on the same page of, wait till the wedding, then, when it happens, it happens and we are finanically in a state where we could afford one if we wanted. So I can't help you either :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    agree with pp that since being engaged, have thought way more about it.  I really want to try on the honeymoon just to see, but unfortunately Im on medication and I need dr's approval/guidance before i start TTC. takes all the fun out of it. 

so the baby im watching is definately upping my baby fever, but at the same time i feel like I get a lot of the fun of having a baby, without the stress and major responsibility. I know I will be over the moon when and if it happens, but im still a bit scared about the responsibility.

its fun to hear who has baby fever among us :) Oh and Pottery barn has the cutest baby furniture. the baby's furniture is all PB and man is it nice.
  • Options
    carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I are super practical, and first things first, we want to own our own home and be financially stable.

I find it helpful to have couple friends who don't have kids.  We're few and far between, but we're out there, and the more you hang out with grown-up couples who don't have kids, the less pressure there is to have them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    tygirl - I hope his track day goes well and he has good weather! 

I'm sure he knows (or knows of) our friends that race (initials are JB & JL), as it seems like a pretty tight group.  They just got back from one of those places and will be heading to another soon. 

I love going to watch the races at PR, although I'm always more nervous when I know someone on the track.  I never learned to ride myself but my H has two bikes also (a sport bike that he's taken to a couple track days, but it's been awhile since he's been) and a little vintage bike he is restoring and wants to make into a cafe racer.

If it helps, my H stopped spending so much $$ on parts and accessories once we were married (he had a huge carbon fiber obsession and was determined to change out every single plastic piece for carbon).  Even though we had a house together before we were married and I never asked him to cut back, it seemed like his priorities changed once we made it official.  So maybe babies and racing can go together well for you without breaking the bank!  Who knows!

Holy moly!  Sorry so long!
  • Options
    jennlinjennlin member
    edited December 2011
    i had a tear-fest last night with my H about babies....i want one...SOOOOO bad...itching like crazy...and he just doesn't understand the biological clock thing that i'm terrified of...i mean, i'm not young anymore (although i'm nowhere near old...i just don't want to be old when we are trying to have our 2nd, 3rd, or 11th kid). he wants kids, but he wants his friends to be on-pace with us...which is so difficult since his friends are all reject-ards...
    ♥ bfp2 02/15/2012 ♥ edd 10/23/2013 ♥
    ♥ bfp1 06/14/2011 ♥ edd 02/22/2012 ♥
    ♥ baby jennlin born on 02/15/2012 ♥

who says you can only wear your wedding dress once?

honeymoon biomarried bioplanning bio
    jumped ship to the new and improved nest. back to TB for baby boards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards