Wedding Woes
Options

New TV Obsession

Holmes Inspection. Has anyone watched this? I met Mike Holmes back when Holmes on Homes was on Discovery. He is awesome. I might have a little crush on him. This show is about lemon houses where the inspection reports only showed minor problems, but once the new owners get in there they realize that there's a ton of serious sht wrong.

He seriously goes in and he's like "huh, there's a musty smell in this room. Let's remove all the drywall in here and in the surrounding 3 rooms to see if there's a leak somewhere." Then he points out all the shoddy workmanship and basically rebuilds these people's houses.

There was one last night where the house appeared to be gorgeous, but underneath there were such serious problems that they ended up gutting almost the whole thing. Fascinating.

It makes me terrified of buying again, and of ever hiring someone to work on my house, but it's so much cooler than the bs makeover shows where they put stickers on the floor to give the illusion of new tile.

Re: New TV Obsession

• Options
    **O-Face****O-Face** member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Meh.  For every house he shows as being shoddy, there are umpteen THOUSANDS that are just fine.

But it is disturbing to see.  And remember...this is mainly canadian.
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    YES.

Mr. Kuus adores this show; we have our DVR set to record the whole series.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love this show! We watched that one last night as well. My question is who pays for all that?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    TheDuckisTheDuckis member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WRONG, Oface. For every house on this show there are whole developments of houses built by the same company, probably in the exact same way.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    YES!!!! I wrote about this not too long ago when I discovered it. Who is the hottie Canadian contractor? Oh...he can inspect my holmes, eh.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know TD, there are developments.  But they're kind of like "friday" jobs. 

And boomtowns where there are contractors that come in and just slam through a job.  Or get lazy and their workmanship falls off over time.  But I also take heart in the fact that it IS canada.
  • Options
    Leg de NicoLeg de Nico member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love it, too.  If he ever want to have babies, I'm willing.
    aka: nicoleg1982
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_new-tv-obsession?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:47Discussion:1843a4e4-6f01-4eed-9e8a-a40d13ce44ecPost:0706c9bd-ff1d-418d-9a77-7643ebf4ef6d">Re: New TV Obsession</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love this show! We watched that one last night as well. My question is who pays for all that?
    Posted by murmist01[/QUOTE]

I wonder the same thing. Discovery never would have had that kind of budget, and I highly doubt HGTV would, either. A new roof alone is 15-20K, and that was the least of the problems in the house last night.

They do name a lot of the companies that do the repair work, so I'm guessing a lot of it is done for free in return for the exposure. I was also wondering if it was possible that there might be some obligation that if the homeowners get a judgement against the inspectors or any contractors they hired that they pay it back to the show, but I have no idea.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay, I apparently misread your entire intro section.  So you had convos about the vast atrocity of stupid homes, yeah?

Suckage.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    imagewww.hgtv.ca/global/ContentDirectories/Hgtv/Microsites/holmesinspection/images/his2_damonbennett.jpg" alt="" width="320" height="324" />

This guy. RAWR! He can level my frame any day of the week.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Is this different from Holmes on Homes?  I've seen that one and love it.  I'm thinking he has a kid already Nico.
  • Options
    ReturnOfKuusReturnOfKuus member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Did you watch Holmes on Homes, too? 
  • Options
    zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
    First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    H loves that guy (not for the same reasons as Min) although he does get a little hot and bothered by code enforcement.   But I always wonder where the money is coming from to strip the dry wall out of an entire house and replace and paint.   Most people wouldn't be able to afford rebuilding the house.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It is different from Holmes on Homes. On that one it's about people who hired a company to redo a kitchen or add on a room and the contractor just walked off the job after the first payment was made. It is also awesome, because he actually confronts the contractors in some of them.

And yeah, his son is 18 or 21 or something.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hate this show. Ugh.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DAMIEN IS HIS SON!?!
  • Options
    dharmabunnydharmabunny member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_new-tv-obsession?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:1843a4e4-6f01-4eed-9e8a-a40d13ce44ecPost:1d5e58ef-fa42-404c-856e-12a9f79e1cae">Re: New TV Obsession</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: New TV Obsession : I wonder the same thing. Discovery never would have had that kind of budget, and I highly doubt HGTV would, either. A new roof alone is 15-20K, and that was the least of the problems in the house last night. They do name a lot of the companies that do the repair work, so I'm guessing a lot of it is done for free in return for the exposure. I was also wondering if it was possible that there might be some obligation that if the homeowners get a judgement against the inspectors or any contractors they hired that they pay it back to the show, but I have no idea.
    Posted by TheDuckis[/QUOTE]

The homeowners probably had to get a 2nd on the house

This Old House was famous for insane renovation cost overruns. Product placement may get them free stuff. Labor is not. Even more expensive when the labor is highly trained/specialized in the new fangled home doohickey install
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am a huge dork and have been researching the money thing.

www.nationalpost.com/homes/Mike+Holmes+sweet+homes/4075753/story.html">http://www.nationalpost.com/homes/Mike+Holmes+sweet+homes/4075753/story.html

By the time the Holmes squad gets through with it, the fix cost will be about $150,000, with the homeowner contributing what she can. The television production budget pays for the labour and there are donations from sponsors.

An article about Holmes on Homes said that if the homeowner's construction budget is already shot then they just get more donations from sponsors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards