Wedding Woes
Options

random question

does your town/city have a policy on bulk trash removal, for items like furniture and mattresses or appliances?

what do you normally do when you need to discard of large items? they may or may not be reuseable.

Re: random question

• Options
    We have to haul large things to the dump, where they charge by weight. If it's something reuseable, we donate it to one of the 80 gillion thrift stores in this town. 

Once a year, we have 'City Wide Cleanup', when you can put out big stuff and the city will haul it away free of charge. It looks like Redneckville here during that week!
  • Options

Bulk week is every other week.

Any furniture we have ever put out at the road has always been gone the night before.  People even picked up our old shower doors and tub.

• Options
    I think we have large trash pick-up once a month or something.  I don't remember.  I haven't had to worry about it in awhile.
  • Options
    In former town, the garbage pick up was handled by the city.  Bulk pick up was once a month.  Everyone put their stuff out the night before and the "pickers" would come through before the official garbage pick up the next morning.

In my current city, the garbage is handled by independent companies which home owners contract on their own.  We have no bulk pick up unless you call your hauler and arrange for a special pick up at an additional rate.  Otherwise, you haul to the landfill and pay a disposal fee.  If you are shady, you sneak your stuff into a dumpster of some business or apartment complex.  I live in a complex and see it all.the.time.
  • Options
    No bulk pickup, either haul to dump and pay the dump fee or hire a waste disposal company to do it. Hazmat/monitors and tvs have to be taken to hazmat dump, but it's free to an extent to dump. A city truck comes around once a quarter, depending on funding to take large yard waste away
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    we haven't had anything really large since we moved, so I'm not really sure of the policy here. There's probably a specific day each month. When we bought the chest freezer, we had Home Depot take the old fridge with them (it was free).

we put yard waste, anything larger and recycling out at the curb. The rest of the trash is in cans next to our garage, and they come up the driveway for pickup. trash pickup is 2x week (tues/fri), recycling pickup is tues.

I think it was the first week of each month at our PA house.  
  • Options
    Our neighbors seem to know more about this than we do, as they've told me the last two brush pick-up days. I just know that trash is every Tuesday and recycling is the first Tuesday of the month.

We've always just taken our stuff to the dump. There's a fee based on the size of your vehicle, so we'll usually cram a pickup truck full of crap and take it there.

• Options
    here's why i ask:

someone i know moved from an apartment building into a house, but didn't take a lick of furniture with them. instead, they left it in the basement next to a trash dumpster. the items left were a mattress set, futon, dining table and chairs, computer chair, and random shelves. someone took photos of them and their trash and sent it in to their super as a complaint.

they were fined by the building and are trying to fight it because no one told them they couln't do this. this is not me, by the way. i have never left trash of any kind behind.

i'm just curious if it is common sense to look into how to dispose of bulk trash instead of assuming you can just leave it and someone will toss it out for you for free. obviously, this is a specific situation in a specific city, so lws and rules may be different, but i really did think it was common knowledge to make pecial arrangements for that amount of trash removal.
  • Options

i'm sure it's different in an area where apartments are more common, but when we lived in PA, we'd always see at least 2 or 3 pickers out driving around on bulk days. most of the time furniture or anything that could be sold for scrap metal would be gone before the garbage men showed up.

• Options
    They should have either known better, or known enough to ask.  I've never thrown out furniture, but any other large item we call ahead and they take it with the normal pick up.  They do hazardous waste twice a year (paint, cleanser, etc).  Usually people get it before the trash does though.

Why wouldn't they donate the stuff though?
  • Options

i would have donated.

also, mattresses have to be wrapped in the city before being thrown away because of bedbugs.

• Options
    In Response to Re:random question:[QUOTE]Why wouldn't they donate the stuff though? Posted by 6fsn[/QUOTE]

Probably if they were too lazy to look into proper disposal, they were too lazy to call around to see which charities do pickup. This is, of course, assuming they'll take it. If there's an endemic bedbug problem, they might not take certain items
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I agree with 6 - they should have known or found out what to do.  Common sense would tell you that someone has to haul that stuff out of the basement and it wouldn't be included in usual garbage disposal.
  • Options
    If she would have set it out there and then also made a Craigslist post announcing that it was there, it would have been gone before her fingers were off the keyboard.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited September 2012
    i think there is bulk collection once a week, but you have to put the items on the sidewalk. it's a quick check on the county's website if i needed to find out.

i keep wondering if this is something a person needs to know ahead of time, but i never remember having to be told what to do with trash.
  • Options
    If she would have set it out there and then also made a Craigslist post announcing that it was there, it would have been gone before her fingers were off the keyboard.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    [QUOTE]If she would have set it out there and then also made a Craigslist post announcing that it was there, it would have been gone before her fingers were off the keyboard.
    Posted by zsazsa-stl[/QUOTE]

4 shizzle.
  • Options
    kinda assy of them to leave it.

We used to have to buy stickers and do certain days when I lived in teh city.
    Since I no longer live in a town, I have to drive stuff to the dump, so I'd freecycle it :)
  • Options
    We have bulk pickup here, but you have to jump through a bunch of hoops:  it's on regular trash day, but they only pick it up if you call them first, and there are a bunch of restrictions on what they'll accept.  Sometimes it's easier to drop it at the dump, which is incidentally the nicest dump you've ever seen.  It's called "The Foxhole" and they named it and put up a sign like it's a subdivision instead of a landfill.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards