Wedding Reception Forum

Song for father/daughter dance (but father deceased)

My father passed away recently.  I am being married in about a year.  I decided I do want to do the father/daugther dance [with my father's brothers.]  My one snag?  Does anyone know anyone who was in a similar situation?  Or a similar wedding situation?  Where the bride danced with a "father - figure" but NOT because of bad blood between her and her father?  I love my dad and want to dance to an appropriate song that the situation calls for.Thank you for any help...

Re: Song for father/daughter dance (but father deceased)

• I would also make an announcement or something prior to the start of the dance that explains why you are dancing with your brother in honor of your dad, etc.  This may be an appropriate song.  If you read the lyrics, it sounds like your dad is "watching" over you: Paul SimonFather and Daughter If you leap awake In the mirror of a bad dream And for a fraction of a second You can't remember where you are Just open your window And follow your memory upstream To the meadow in the mountain Where we counted every falling star I believe the light that shines on you Will shine on you forever (forever) And though I can't guarantee There's nothing scary hiding under your bed I'm gonna stand guard like a postcard of a golden retriever And never leave till I leave you with a sweet dream in your head Chorus: I'm gonna watch you shine Gonna watch you grow Gonna paint a sign So you'll always know As long as one and one is two There could never be a father who loved his daughter more than I love you Trust your intuition It's just like goin fishin' You cast your line and hope you get a bite But you don't need to waste your time Worryin' about the market place Try to help the human race Strugglin to survive its harshest night.
  • My dad has dance father daughter dances with all his sisters (their dad is dead) and with my cousin ( my uncle is dead) it is not that uncommon. Why not dance to your dads favorite song or ask your uncle for a suggestion
  • My dad isnt in my life and I am going back and forth about whether or not to ask my uncle to do the father/daughter dance with me.  We arent super close cause I dont see him very often, but if I want to do the dance, I would ask him.  I havent decided yet.  My FI is asking my mom to do the son/mother dance, as his mom has passed away.  I agree with pp, if the person you are considering dance with knows that you are going to ask him, let him pick the song. 
  • I am in the same situation, my father passed away 5 years ago. I am dancing to "Dance with my father" by Luther Vandross with my brother. Here are the lyrics:Back when I was a child Before life removed all the innocence My father would lift me high And dance with my mother and me And then Spin me around 'till I fell asleep Then up the stairs he would carry me And I knew for sure I was loved If I could get another chance Another walk Another dance with him I'd play a song that would never ever end How I'd love love love To dance with my father again When I and my mother Would disagree To get my way I would run From her to him He'd make me laugh just to comfort me yeah yeah Then finally make me do Just what my mama said Later that night when I was asleep He left a dollar under my sheet Never dreamed that he Would be gone from me If I could steal One final glance One final step One final dance with him I'd play a song that would never ever end Cause I'd love love love to Dance with my father again Sometimes I'd listen outside her door And I'd hear how mama would cry for him I'd pray for her even more than me I'd pray for her even more than me I know I'm praying for much to much But could you send her The only man she loved I know you don't do it usually But Dear Lord She's dying to dance with my father again Every night I fall asleep And this is all I ever dream
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My cousin's father passed away about two years before she got married.  For the father/daughter dance, she danced with her two brothers and brother-in-law.  (It was one song, each just cut in on the brother before.)  It was really sweet. 
  • Thank you everyone!  ALL of this helps!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards