Wedding Reception Forum
Options

When/What are people throwing at you?

I know I've seen this posted before but now can't find it, so I apologize for duplication. We're trying to think of what we want people to do/throw at us when we leave. I'm not really crazy about having rice/bird seed all over me, and we can't do sparklers (no open flame allowed at the site). Any other ideas? The wedding is in October, at the reception is at an outdoor/indoor rustic place with a big stone barn. Part 2 of the question that just occured to me: any opinions on whether it's better to do the "throwing rice-getaway" stuff after the ceremony or after the reception? Thanks!!
imageimage

Re: When/What are people throwing at you?

• Options
    Rose petalsBlow bubblesFor timing it depends on your venues. If you are taking pictures after the ceremony, you probably won't have time to gather all the guests and make a grand exit.But also if your reception lasts until late in the evening, a good number of guests may not stay until the end.
  • Options
    Bubbles. I don't like having stuff thrown at me.
  • Options
    We had nothing "thrown" at us, nor did we have a grand exit from the ceremony or reception(same spot, outdoor ceremony).  I'm kinda glad we didn't!  Cheers and clapping are the way to do it, for us, at least, if we were going to do a grand exit.I suppose it is better to figure out when your photos are being done. Good luck in trying to figure this out!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I dont want anything thrown at me. You could do fall leaves if you wanted, but like I said I wouldnt want anything thrown at me.
  • Options
    We did rice after the ceremony. My cousin got a great picture of the rice in mid-air at our backs.If you do it after the reception, not everyone will get to participate since not everyone will stay until the end. You could do streamers or long flags on sticks for people to wave around/behind you. Or maybe those party popper things with streamers and confetti.  Or you can skip it.
  • Options
    We had bubbles but I just saw on the knot that there was an exit where paper airplanes were thrown up in the air. Could be cute.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Here's the knot page I saw the paper airplanes. [url]<a href="http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/blogs/wedding_style_file/archive/2009/08/27/the-new-wedding-exit-confetti-paper-airplanes.aspx" rel='nofollow'>http://community.theknot.com/cs/ks/blogs/wedding_style_file/archive/2009/08/27/the-new-wedding-exit-confetti-paper-airplanes.aspx</a>[/url]
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    lavender
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We're getting married in Chicago in January, so bubbles, etc. are not really practical.  When the priest announces us as husband & wife, we're having everyone ring bells.  I figured that this way no on has to stand out in the freezing cold.
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
  • Options
    We are doing bubbles or butterflies. You can let the guest be involved or you can just rent a bubble machine. The butterflies you can give per couple vs. per person and have them release the butterflies or have a box/cage and have some release all of them at once. We are having an outdoor ceremony and I do not want anything thrown at me. Good Luck! HTH!
  • Options
    Please DON'T do butterflies.  Live animals should never be props for a cute photo opportunity.  There are so many reasons NOT to do butterflies, not the least of which is that they're frozen, then shipped to you for the "release".There have been countless stories here, not to mention photos, of people opening their boxes, and dead butterflies falling out of the box.Skip having people throw anything at you.  Let them clap and cheer.  Easy, free, and not lame.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards