Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Place settings AND Buffet?

Has anyone ever considered doing place settings AND a buffet?
I'm thinking about it because I'm doing my own food and I'm not going to hire waitstaff to serve, just to tend to the food and drink tables. But I would also prefer to have a seating chart.  Would it be weird to have place settings at each chair but then to have the guests take their plate up to the buffet line?

Re: Place settings AND Buffet?

• Options
    You can create a lovely setting at a person's chair without having the plate there.  I find it weird to have to carry your own plate up to the buffet.  If the line is long, your standing there holding a plate.  If you really want to have a plate at the person's setting, why not put a charger down there and stack the plates at the start of the buffet?  Then when the person returns from getting their food, they can place their plate on the charger. . .
  • Options
    OliveOilsMom said it right! Chargers can add great ambience too!
  • Options
    You can have absolutely have a seating chart with a buffet dinner. I've been to several wedding where this was the case.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I'm having a buffet and assigned tables and have been to several weddings that have done this as well. I'm not having my guests carry the plate up to the buffet though. I just think people might be more comfortable getting a plate up at the buffet.

image229 Invited
    image134 Have their dancing shoes ready!
    image95 Will be sitting this one out.
    image0 Undecided

• Options
    The reason why I'm thinking about leaving the plates at the tables is that I'm buying a whole bunch of vintage china plates, but they don't all match.  So each table will match, but they won't match each other.  I thought it would look pretty laid out on the tables, but weird if i left them stacked at the serving line
  • Options
    as a guest i love assigned tables. as a guest i ddislike buffets. i would also not like to carry my plate to the buffet, fill it up and carry it back full of food in a gown and heels.
    they wont look weird stacked up. be more concerned about the comfort and ease for guests and less about how it will look.
    you can easily do a place setting iwth napkin, silverware, bread plate (if you'll have breadbaskets on tables), glasses etc... you dont need the plate there.

• Options
    I actually was at a wedding that had it done.  It actually worked out perfectly for the bride. She was like you and did her own food.  I think that putting the place settings on your tables is better than just having the plates at the buffet lines.  Make sure and have extras just incase people throw theirs away. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all the opinions, y'all have been so helpful! (Unlike the FI who has no clue what the difference is between white and ivory, lol)
  • Options
    I like having assigned seat regardless on how the food is presented. 

I would be annoyed at having to carry an empty plate up to the buffett.  I get you think it will look pretty and it will to you.  But your average guest is not even going to notice it looks pretty.   

What happens if people what seconds?  I would not occur to me to take up my dirty plate as every place I've been to requires a new plate.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    ooo, lyndausvi, that's a really good point, I didn't even think of that. hmmm... I guess I'll have to stack the plates near the serving line, I just hope it doesn't look too strange that the plates are very different from each other.  They're all porcelain and ivory in color, but they all have different designs.
  • Options
    I do not think they will look strange I think it will look nice.  You can still have bread plates on the tables.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I am not using chargers, instead I am having linen napkins folded with the buffet menu. This is because it has the whole dessert list on it too (in case of allergies) and the alcohol beverages listed too. With the linen napkin and menu will then be their cookie favor and cutlery. Bowls, Cups, Plates, and throw away napkins at the stations.
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards