Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Dollar Dance Songs..

In need of serious help thinking of songs for dollar dances?!?! ANY ideas welcome!!!!!

Thanks!!!

Re: Dollar Dance Songs..

• Options
    Unless it's typical in your area (which in CT I would think not) or culture skip it.  They are rude and tacky.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ditto PP. I know that in some circles, it's tradition to do this, but not only is it tacky to ask guests for money at your wedding, but it's also really boring from a guest's perspective. It shuts down the dance floor for sometimes 20 minutes, and you only get to dance with the B or G for a few seconds. I just don't get the whole idea of them.

If you decide to go through with it, usually they do slow songs for it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae2109a5-63c1-4cd8-a927-3a088ce44070Post:88306df5-f811-483e-a05e-e5a792d37046">Re: Dollar Dance Songs..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not Tacky at all. They are fun! It gives you a few moments with the couple! Many cute pictures are presented at this time! Hey the extra money comes in Handy! Dang I'm sure a dollar bill won"t hurt anyone! DO It! I'M GOING TOO
    Posted by Sherrywitch[/QUOTE]

Except you can have a moment with your guests free of charge anytime you want during the wedding. It isn't about whether or not a dollar breaks the bank; it's rude to basically try to fundraise for yourself at your wedding and your guests shouldn't open their wallets at all since you are HOSTING the event. Just because you, one person, finds something fun doesn't mean it isn't tacky.

Vacation
  • Options
    Besides the whole tackiness of asking guests for cash, I just wanted to add that dollar dances are boooring!  They are common in my area, and I hate them.  I love dancing, and I don't want to sit there watching people dance with the bride and groom.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    It is so not boring and isn't tacky what so ever!! At my uncles wedding they had a great money dance! Both made a few hundred bucks, and used it for their honeymoon!  On top of that it was really entertaining, they kinda made it seem like a stripper dance (jokingly). You know like "make it rain!"

And to actually answer your question...
     "Pour Some Sugar On Me" By Def Lappard
     "I love Rock and Roll" By Joan Jett and The Black Hearts
     And for some reason most songs by the Pussycat Dolls are great for some medium speed songs to make your dance entertaining and encouraging for people to start dancing!
    ~Soon to become Mrs. O'Kane!~
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae2109a5-63c1-4cd8-a927-3a088ce44070Post:6d91d7ae-4c63-4124-bdfa-e28ac3ee641c">Re: Dollar Dance Songs..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Polka music.  This is a Polish - Scandinavian tradition.  If you don't know how to polka, then you shouldn't be doing the dollar dance at all.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

Unrelated to the dollar dance, but I can't wait to polka dance at my wedding.  I LOVE polka, and my great-uncle used to be a polka radio station dj!  :)  I have read about other polish traditions, and they typically aren't my style, but polka dancing will be FUN!
  • Options
    Everything else aside, are you doing an ipod yourself or are you hiring a DJ?  Because if the answer is DJ, s/he should already have music lists for different events during a reception.  That's why he's collecting a check.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae2109a5-63c1-4cd8-a927-3a088ce44070Post:1ef48e7e-1842-4f77-a8f6-97077170bf18">Re: Dollar Dance Songs..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Dollar Dance Songs.. : <strong>The OP DID NOT ask your opinion on whether or not to have a dollar dance, just asking for song suggestions. </strong> Not your wedding, so don't clutter the post up with your "I didn't ask for your opinion" opinions!   Sheesh, how hard is that?? Bare Naked Ladies, "If I had a million dollars"
    Posted by IamTheMommaOfTheBride[/QUOTE]

Doesn't matter. This is a public message board and we can respond any way we want. Our suggestion? Don't have a dollar dance at all.

And sierra, just because your uncle had one, it STILL doesn't mean it isn't tacky. Just because someone you know did something doesn't mean it wasn't rude. I know people who chew with their mouth open; it's still rude, even if I know of someone who does it.

Vacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae2109a5-63c1-4cd8-a927-3a088ce44070Post:8dcf9db2-3b14-40ca-97dc-45292ced6f0e">Re: Dollar Dance Songs..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dollar Dance Songs.. : Doesn't matter. This is a public message board and we can respond any way we want. Our suggestion? Don't have a dollar dance at all. And sierra, just because your uncle had one, it STILL doesn't mean it isn't tacky. Just because someone you know did something doesn't mean it wasn't rude. I know people who chew with their mouth open; it's still rude, even if I know of someone who does it.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]
    Yes to the public message board
    Yes to the post whatever you want
    But you look stupid when you don't respond to the OP, don't you get it?
    Theere is not "our suggestion", it is YOUR suggestion re no dollar dance, and again it's NOT what the OP is asking
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae2109a5-63c1-4cd8-a927-3a088ce44070Post:9edbc855-e7ac-4596-87c2-e74cf5a4d43a">Re: Dollar Dance Songs..</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, if the OP asked for great ideas to rob a bank, or kill someone ... I should give them ideas on how to do it rather than tell them is wrong, because that is what they asked. Your logic is dangerous.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

I support your right to free speech even if it makes you look idiotic!
    YOUR logic is ridiculous

FYI....dollar dances are not illegal, robbing banks, murder for hire is, as well as not really relevent to wedding planning......
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae2109a5-63c1-4cd8-a927-3a088ce44070Post:6d91d7ae-4c63-4124-bdfa-e28ac3ee641c">Re: Dollar Dance Songs..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Polka music.  This is a Polish - Scandinavian tradition.  If you don't know how to polka, then you shouldn't be doing the dollar dance at all.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh. I am glad this is the new standard for DDs.

"Do you know how to Polka?"
    "No."
    "NO DOLLAR DANCE FOR YOU!"
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

I'm Sexy and I Know It!? (Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle!)

We'd planned on a dollar dance because our guests were asking for it... But the DJ waited too long and it got skipped because too many people had left already.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae2109a5-63c1-4cd8-a927-3a088ce44070Post:9c737039-0a25-4b88-9b8e-3e15d37af506">Re: Dollar Dance Songs..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dollar Dance Songs.. : Oh, the irony.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

rock on "Darth queen of irony"
  • Options
    Maybe play golddigger? Seems to fit the situation...
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Dollar Dance Songs..:[QUOTE]Maybe play golddigger? Seems to fit the situation... Posted by mjmchugh86[/QUOTE]

2nd that!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Hey Julie by Fountains of Wayne. Even if your name isn't Julie, it's still a sweet song.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    It's very likely that some or all of your guests will be offended. The girls here don't live in some etiquette bubble -- they're out there in the world being all polite and stuff.

If you don't want to offend your guests over a small amount of money, don't do a money dance.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae2109a5-63c1-4cd8-a927-3a088ce44070Post:4cbff109-f7f6-41da-858b-02c99e04b751">Re: Dollar Dance Songs..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dollar Dance Songs.. : Yes to the public message board Yes to the post whatever you want <strong>But you look stupid when you don't respond to the OP, don't you get it? </strong>Theere is not "our suggestion", it is YOUR suggestion re no dollar dance, and again it's NOT what the OP is asking

First of all that's a false statement.

Second of all, why don't you read my OP? At the bottom I said, "If you decide to go through with it, they usually play slow songs." Therefore, using your flawed logic, I'm not idiotic anyway because I did respond to the OP. But thanks for that.

FWIW, DD's are common in my circle. Guess what? We still didn't do one. Just because something is common does not mean you HAVE to do it too. 95% of our friends had them and I hated them.

If you won't listen to the tacky argument, then take into account the boring argument myself and others have made. Do you really want to bore your guests? Even if they participate in the DD, they are standing in line for a long time just to dance for a few seconds. Then they and everyone else have to stand off to the side while the dance floor is closed during usually the height of the evening. BORING. Trust me, I've suffered through at least ten of them. I love my friends dearly, but that doesn't make the DD any less tacky or boring.

Vacation
  • Options
    Generally the songs that are used during DD are slower, but it can really be whatever you prefer.

I like how a lot of people are telling the OP that the DD is tacky, etc. even though it is most likely a cultural/regional thing and an expected part of the reception.  I know my family will most definitely be expecting a DD at my wedding (although I don't plan on having one) just as much as they would expect a bouquet or garter toss (may not do those either) and food and cake. [And yes, CMGr, I can polka, I grew up doing so and both my family and FI's family are Polish Wink Although I never knew it was just a Polish/Scandinavian tradition] 

I have been to perhaps one wedding back home that did not have a DD, but all family weddings have (I'm from Northwestern Ma/Vermont area originally btw, if that matters. Like I said, perhaps it is a regional thing?).  When we don't do it, my family will most likely wonder why and bring it up to be honest because it is considered a tradition.  I just feel bad for the OP, to have people telling her she is tacky, when she is most likely having the DD because its a normal part of a wedding where she is from/traditional for her.

I'm sorry OP, I've noticed sometimes people on these forums can be mean/don't understand cultural/regional differences very well.

I was also just informed by FI that the DD is also a Greek tradition (used to pay the band or tip the band). 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae2109a5-63c1-4cd8-a927-3a088ce44070Post:c87e1b82-2d85-4e38-86c9-36b15c0d69b7">Re:Dollar Dance Songs..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe play golddigger? Seems to fit the situation...
    Posted by mjmchugh86[/QUOTE]

<div>Excellent idea!</div><div>
    </div><div>Dollar dances are tacky AND boring.  We went to a wedding last weekend.  The dollar dance went on for easily 10 songs.  It was ridiculous.  And, then, there was the peer pressure aspect of it.  Everyone else was paying up to dance with the bride and groom so we were expected to as well.</div><div>
    </div><div>Sorry, but any activity that requires a cash outlay in any amount for any purpose at your wedding is tacky.  Just because you think it's "fun" and/or "everyone does it" doesn't change that fact.</div><div>
    </div><div>Ick.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae2109a5-63c1-4cd8-a927-3a088ce44070Post:9d6f8f1e-60a6-4685-aaa6-a375d4a31285">Re: Dollar Dance Songs..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Generally the songs that are used during DD are slower, but it can really be whatever you prefer. I like how a lot of people are telling the OP that the DD is tacky, etc. even though<strong> it is most likely a cultural/regional thing and an expected part of the reception.  </strong>I know my family will most definitely be expecting a DD at my wedding (although I don't plan on having one) just as much as they would expect a bouquet or garter toss (may not do those either) and food and cake. [And yes, CMGr , I can polka, I grew up doing so and both my family and FI's family are Polish Although I never knew it was just a Polish/Scandinavian tradition]  I have been to perhaps one wedding back home that did not have a DD, but all family weddings have (I'm from Northwestern Ma/Vermont area originally btw, if that matters. Like I said, perhaps it is a regional thing?). <strong> When we don't do it, my family will most likely wonder why and bring it up to be honest </strong>because it is considered a tradition.  I just feel bad for the OP, to have people telling her she is tacky, when she is most likely having the DD because its a normal part of a wedding where she is from/traditional for her. I'm sorry OP, I've noticed sometimes people on these forums can be mean/don't understand cultural/regional differences very well. I was also just informed by FI that the DD is also a Greek tradition (used to pay the band or tip the band). 
    Posted by thegreeneyedkri[/QUOTE]

If you read any of my previous posts, I acknowledged that they are common in some circles. However, that doesn't mean they aren't still tacky. Like I explained in the post RIGHT above yours that you obviously didn't read, they are common in my circle. 95% of my friends did it. That doesn't mean that you or OP or anyone HAS to do it. If the only reason you're doing it is because everyone else did, I don't think that's a very good reason.

If someone asks why you didn't have one, tell them you didn't want to. That's it. They can still dance with you if they want (for FREE) and if they feel so inclined that they just HAVE to give you a dollar, they can do that too. However, I highly doubt it.

Vacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae2109a5-63c1-4cd8-a927-3a088ce44070Post:79391c48-7d7a-48d3-9122-424827ce0abb">Re: Dollar Dance Songs..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dollar Dance Songs.. : If you read any of my previous posts, I acknowledged that they are common in some circles. However, that doesn't mean they aren't still tacky. Like I explained in the post RIGHT above yours that you obviously didn't read, they are common in my circle. 95% of my friends did it. That doesn't mean that you or OP or anyone HAS to do it. If the only reason you're doing it is because everyone else did, I don't think that's a very good reason. If someone asks why you didn't have one, tell them you didn't want to. That's it. They can still dance with you if they want (for FREE) and if they feel so inclined that they just HAVE to give you a dollar, they can do that too. However, I highly doubt it.

If you had taken the time to read my post (thoroughly?), you would have comprehended that I do not plan on having a DD, even though it is expected within my family/is traditional.  Just because I simply don't want to.  But again, I wouldn't call anyone tacky for doing so.

I hate buffets and think its a horrible thing to make people have to wait to eat or force older family have to stand in line to get their food, but I certainly wouldn't call someone tacky or rude for having a buffet, just because I personally do not like them at all.  It becomes more of a "I understand that other people/most people I know have absolutely no problem with this whatsoever" situation.  Who are we to say if OP's family thinks a DD is tacky or rude?  I'm guessing they certainly do not, because if they did, she most likely would not even know what one is.

I just found it very disheartening to see a person jumped on and instead of having their question answered, be called tacky.  She can do what she wants to do.  I honestly do not at all understand people who seem to want to get into arguments over the internet/think it is acceptable to belittle people on the internet.  But then again, I was always taught, that unless specifically asked, if you do not have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.  If OP had queried "is a DD tacky?" that would have warranted the answers she received, but as she did not, I felt the barrage was not warranted.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae2109a5-63c1-4cd8-a927-3a088ce44070Post:e041741f-e009-4bc1-a622-b7d94366c01a">Re: Dollar Dance Songs..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dollar Dance Songs.. : If you had taken the time to read my post (thoroughly?), you would have comprehended that I do not plan on having a DD, even though it is expected within my family/is traditional.  Just because I simply don't want to.  But again, I wouldn't call anyone tacky for doing so. I hate buffets and think its a horrible thing to make people have to wait to eat or force older family have to stand in line to get their food<strong>, but I certainly wouldn't call someone tacky or rude for having a buffet, just because I personally do not like them at all.</strong>  It becomes more of a "I understand that other people/most people I know have absolutely no problem with this whatsoever" situation.  Who are we to say if OP's family thinks a DD is tacky or rude?  I'm guessing they certainly do not, because if they did, she most likely would not even know what one is. I just found it very disheartening to see a person jumped on and instead of having their question answered, be called tacky.  She can do what she wants to do.  I honestly do not at all understand people who seem to want to get into arguments over the internet/think it is acceptable to belittle people on the internet.  But then again, I was always taught, that unless specifically asked, if you do not have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.  If OP had queried "is a DD tacky?" that would have warranted the answers she received, but as she did not, I felt the barrage was not warranted.
    Posted by thegreeneyedkri[/QUOTE]

But you're comparing apples to oranges. Having a buffet is not rude because it's not asking people for money. It's simply an option for how to serve food at your wedding. These things are not the same at all, so you can't really use one to argue the other.

Around these boards, we don't make it a habit to condone rude behavior. Many of us have acknowledged that in some circles they do DD's, but that doesn't make the IDEA of them any less tacky. We are going to be honest (which your friends will not be because they don't want to hurt your feelings) and tell you/posters in general when something is rude or tacky, whether or not they ask those exact words. If you don't want us to be honest about an idea you have, don't post it on the boards.

Also I never said you were having  a DD and in fact gave you a suggested response for when people ask why you're NOT having one.

Vacation
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Why have any categories at all?  Why not one big place where folks can ask a simple question, then others can pounce, claw, and tear each other apart with their opinions as to what is right and what is wrong?  Then go make other postings and single out other posters with snarky catty remarks to continue to make fun?
    I don't understand.  This was in reception ideas, looking for song suggestions.  It was not in Etiquette.  If you don't approve it doesn't matter, she's not looking for approval.  If you're that horrified, send a private message.  Why the nastiness?
    I don't know any of you, some of you I think are very kind and helpful, and some not at all.  But already there are some on here who don't like me either.  Oh well, it stings a bit.  But at the end of the day it just doesn't matter because you can walk away at anytime, choosing whether or not to wound with words.
    Sorry OP, I am just as guilty with this post for not staying on topic.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae2109a5-63c1-4cd8-a927-3a088ce44070Post:2ba1a59e-2f1f-4ae4-b04c-010d667fd3ea">Re: Dollar Dance Songs..</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why have any categories at all?  Why not one big place where folks can ask a simple question, then others can pounce, claw, and tear each other apart with their opinions as to what is right and what is wrong?  Then go make other postings and single out other posters with snarky catty remarks to continue to make fun?<strong> I don't understand.  This was in reception ideas, looking for song suggestions.  It was not in Etiquette.</strong>  If you don't approve it doesn't matter, she's not looking for approval.  If you're that horrified, send a private message.  Why the nastiness? I don't know any of you, some of you I think are very kind and helpful, and some not at all.  But already there are some on here who don't like me either.  Oh well, it stings a bit.  But at the end of the day it just doesn't matter because you can walk away at anytime, choosing whether or not to wound with words. Sorry OP, I am just as guilty with this post for not staying on topic.

So as long as we're not on the "etiquette" board, we should not tell someone if they're doing something rude that will possibly offend guests? That doesn't even make sense.

No one was nasty; we were honest. Those are two very different things. And like has already been said, if you don't want opinions on something you are doing, no matter what board it's on, you should probably keep your ideas off an international message board. End of story.

Vacation
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I feel like banging my head against a wall here. I don't give one flying fuuck if it's a tradition amongst your group. You do not ask people to pull out their wallets at an event intended to be a thank you to them. If you don't understand this most basic concept of being a gracious host, there is likely little anyone can do to help you.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    Everybody here does dollar dances. I have never been to a wedding without one. People here don't seem to have a problem with it, but of course YMMV. To answer your question, OP, if you have a dollar dance, pick slow songs so that people who can't dance well can still feel great about participating.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-songs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:ae2109a5-63c1-4cd8-a927-3a088ce44070Post:95bfd3f5-a91f-4b3e-a767-cb633db36333">Re: Dollar Dance Songs..</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dollar Dance Songs.. :<strong> So as long as we're not on the "etiquette" board, we should not tell someone if they're doing something rude that will possibly offend guests? ......</strong>

yep. That is why there are categories.  A DD is not unusual, and fairly common for a lot of cultures and geographic locations. 
    We will never agree but plain and simple, OP didn't ask anyone's opinion re it, just for dance suggestions.  If it really bothers you, start a post in Ettiquette where the pros and cons belong.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards