Wedding Reception Forum
Options

NYE wedding colors

Hey everyone! My wedding is this new years eve which is still a loooong time away, but I am trying to think about colors, because I will be ordering my STDs soon. Of course, I know my STDs could not match and nobody will even remember by the time the wedding rolls around, but I'm really undecided on what kind of colors to go for. I also keep seeing cute pictures online and keep changing my mind. I really want a vintage glam feel, but I don't want anything to feel too theme-y.

My first choice of colors was navy with gold accents. Then I decided since I hate navy I would rather have deep purple with gold accents. I then decided I would rather do black and gold because it would be suuuuuuper easy when the time came to tell my BMs to show up in whatever LBD they could wanted. My sister then brought up the point that our high school's colors were black and gold and I really don't want it to look like a reunion. I thought maybe black and rose-gold (like a metallic, dusty pink) would look nice, but is rose-gold a kind of too specific PITA color? Dusty pink BM dresses would look pretty, but it would certainly scrap my, "show up in whatever dress you like" idea, wouldn't it? I'm not like freaking out, because I know I have so much time to decide, and I know I am suuuuuper indecisive and will probably change my mind like 500 times between now and the time I need to decide, but I'm just curious, what colors would you guys choose for a NYE wedding?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NYE wedding colors

• Options
    If I had a NYE wedding I think I would choose silver & purple!

• Options
    My nephew and his bride married on NYE a few years ago.  They used black, gold, and silver as the primary colors for decor, and incorporated some red for their "pop" of color.

With those colors, you would not need to worry about variations of any color.  You could incorporate almost anything with those colors, from lace to rhinestones to pearls.  Your girls could still wear a LBD, but you could embellish their dresses with a pop of red, silver, or gold.
  • Options
    We didn't even have colors.  I think you're overthinking this.

If you like black and gold, then go with black and gold.  Not every single thing has to be in "your colors" -- in fact, I think this usally works better when you use mostly neutrals with splashes of your "colors" used as accents.  In this respect, a long as you use a light touch, I don't think it will end up looking like a high school reunion.   
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    I would do gold, silver and purple.   Still have the ladies in a LBD.  All those colors will pop with a black dress.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Agree with all previous posters! You can use any colors you like and still have your girls in LBDs to which any and every color will accent and pop. 

If I were you I'd do exactly what mobkaz nephew and his bride did... Stick to black, gold and silver. Then you can accent with any color(s) you like for a pop of color. 

If you like purple then use purple... flowers, shoes and/or jewelry, festive NYE confetti poppers and hats/ crowns, purple accents on stationary and maybe even the cake... All the while keeping all the major decor elements in black and the metallic colors (gold and silver).... table linens, chair sashes, charger plates, gold and silver centerpiece vases and votive candles, also festive NYE fluff comes in silver and gold, favors (e.g. chocolates in golden or silver boxes, mini champagne bottles with gold and silver ribbons, etc.).

There's so much you can do, just try to keep it simple with the colors and remember that pops of colors to accent tend to work better than trying to match everything to one specific shade. Have fun!

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm not like freaking out, because I know I have so much time to decide, and I know I am suuuuuper indecisive and will probably change my mind like 500 times between now and the time I need to decide

I'm assuming you mean you are getting married NYE the end of this year, so you have just under a year. Yes, it's a long way away, but honestly, depending on your finances, you may want to start planning some things now, fitting them into your budget, as you go along during the year with the rest of your planning.

I planned my wedding over an 18 month period, but already knew what my colors would be (black, white/cream and silver). Making that decision early means when I looked at things during the planning process, I could eliminate stuff in other colors, and make purchases of things like candle holders, candles, decor, plan flowers, etc. It was a lot easier to plan knowing what colors I'd ultimately be using, and buying during that period beforehand, fitting it into my budget, etc.

I've seen posts by brides who were indecisive, and they'd buy purple stuff, then change their colors to blue, then ask what do I do with the purple stuff? Can I use both colors together, etc? It really helps to nail this aspect down early on. It helps with planning, and eliminates the early purchasing of things that then end up not being used. 

We can't help you make your decision, but you asked for advice. Personally, I think black & white are easy, because many venues charge extra for linens other than white, and white goes with everything. So does black. Accent colors can be whatever you like. 

I let my bridesmaids choose black dresses they loved, that flattered them, and they'd wear again. It's a generous idea, and I agree with you on that, obviously. Beyond that, you can use whatever other colors you like and they will go.  And trust me, I doubt ANYONE will connect the colors of your wedding to your high school colors.

And STD's do not have to match your other colors. They are simply a notice that your wedding is on a certain date and time. But depending on when you want/need to send them, if you are using an engagement photo shoot to include with them, you may want to plan that soon since you generally want them in the mail no less than 6 months beforehand, longer if you have a lot of family out of state who need to plan vacation time to attend your wedding.

Good luck.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_nye-wedding-colors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:cce1a99c-c22d-4741-aba3-8fcf436df70cPost:db12f4cb-920f-4fb0-80e8-64bd7ae15b24">Re: NYE wedding colors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not like freaking out, because I know I have so much time to decide, and I know I am suuuuuper indecisive and will probably change my mind like 500 times between now and the time I need to decide I'm assuming you mean you are getting married NYE the end of this year, so you have just under a year. Yes, it's a long way away, but honestly, depending on your finances, you may want to start planning some things now, fitting them into your budget, as you go along during the year with the rest of your planning. I planned my wedding over an 18 month period, but already knew what my colors would be (black, white/cream and silver). Making that decision early means when I looked at things during the planning process, I could eliminate stuff in other colors, and make purchases of things like candle holders, candles, decor, plan flowers, etc. It was a lot easier to plan knowing what colors I'd ultimately be using, and buying during that period beforehand, fitting it into my budget, etc. I've seen posts by brides who were indecisive, and they'd buy purple stuff, then change their colors to blue, then ask what do I do with the purple stuff? Can I use both colors together, etc? It really helps to nail this aspect down early on. It helps with planning, and eliminates the early purchasing of things that then end up not being used.  We can't help you make your decision, but you asked for advice. Personally, I think black & white are easy, because many venues charge extra for linens other than white, and white goes with everything. So does black. Accent colors can be whatever you like.  I let my bridesmaids choose black dresses they loved, that flattered them, and they'd wear again. It's a generous idea, and I agree with you on that, obviously. Beyond that, you can use whatever other colors you like and they will go.  And trust me, I doubt ANYONE will connect the colors of your wedding to your high school colors. And STD's do not have to match your other colors. They are simply a notice that your wedding is on a certain date and time. But depending on when you want/need to send them, if you are using an engagement photo shoot to include with them, you may want to plan that soon since you generally want them in the mail no less than 6 months beforehand, longer if you have a lot of family out of state who need to plan vacation time to attend your wedding. Good luck.
    Posted by Sue-n-Kevin[/QUOTE]

This was so helpful! Thank you. I think we are going to go with black and white with pops of purple and gold.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards