Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Dollar Dance Shots

We are having trouble deciding on what 2 shots to have for the dollar dance.  We were thinking Yager with some sort of Snaps or something the ladies would like doing more. Any ideas?

Re: Dollar Dance Shots

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-shots?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:db7135bd-ecd2-45c7-bafc-6817b3f13508Post:03cd5d6d-6258-4557-9eec-2332287a6bbe">Dollar Dance Shots</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having trouble deciding on what 2 shots to have for the dollar dance.  We were thinking Yager with some sort of Snaps or something the ladies would like doing more. Any ideas?
    Posted by melynda3117[/QUOTE]

Don't do one?
    Also, what do shots have to do with a dollar dance? It makes it sound like some kind of kegger.
  • Options
    I've seen a lot of dollar dances, and we even had one, but I don't know anything about a shot with it.  What's that about?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Dani, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has never heaard of that. I've only been to one wedding with a DD but I've definitely never heard of shots being included.
  • Options
    Oh wow. It must be a PA thing. What happens is for the dollar dance, the bridesmaids stand with a tray of shots, usually 2 different types, the line forms,they place a dollar in the money bag, then they do a shot. Then that person dances with the bride or  the groom.

Sorry, definitely no type of kegger or frat party at all.
  • Options
    Skip the DD.  Let people who want shots get them at the bar.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    Thanks but skipping the dollar dance is not an option nor not doing shots. Its pretty traditional where I come from.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-shots?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:db7135bd-ecd2-45c7-bafc-6817b3f13508Post:62acaa87-490c-43f3-9901-25e13235b930">Re: Dollar Dance Shots</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh wow. It must be a PA thing. What happens is for the dollar dance, the bridesmaids stand with a tray of shots, usually 2 different types, the line forms,they place a dollar in the money bag, then they do a shot. Then that person dances with the bride or  the groom. Sorry, definitely no type of kegger or frat party at all.

Okay, I've never heard of that before.  If you do it, I would pick shots that are popular or pretty much universally liked. I'm not sure what those are though.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but shots at a wedding are trashy.  At every wedding I've ever been to that had hard liquor, the bartenders refused to serve shots.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    The dollar dance is the only time that we are allowing shots. That's how most weddings in PA are.  Call it what you like, in our opinion doing a tray of shots for the dollar dance is not trashy.  If we were playing flip cup, bonging beer from cans and doing keg stands, thats what we consider trashy.
  • Options
    you are brave to post that you're doing a dollar dance.  around here its practically heresy and i won't be having on but it's your wedding so do what you want. 

anyway,  a tasty shot that i know of that's popular with both guys and girls is the washington apple ( Crown Royal, DeKuyper sour apple pucker and cranberry juice).  i personally prefer to switch out the crown and substitute jack daniels, but that's just me.   
  • Options
    yum on the washtington apple. I would do something mixed like the above suggestion that tastes yummy rather then a straight up liquor shot.
  • Options
    I've been to a wedding before where they did this, and it was in Central PA.
    However, for the life of me I can't remember what type of shots they had.  Sorry!

• Options
    Okay, so since we already ruled out not doing a DD...

I think something like Yager is pretty strong and people may not like it. I would stick to liquors that are not so strong. I think ones like the Washington Apple above sound good. Think along those lines and google some ideas.
  • Options
    Lemon Drops, Oatmeal Cookie, or Cherry Bombs or something else that isn't too strong. I detest Jager, so I would personally not do that, and would probably skip the straight liquor shots in general, but thats just my opinion.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    I've never heard of that either... but I would do a shot that isn't super stong but people like it. Washington Apples are yummy! I'd suggest have the other one a weaker shot for people that don't really like a whisky, like a Sex on the Beach as a shot or Lemon Drops.
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Options
    It is definitely tradition in Pittsburgh.  Generally there is a stronger shot and a weaker one for guests to choose from.  I would say you know your guests best.  Are they mostly yager drinkers?  I know my friends would be happy but my family would not.  There is Vodka, Whiskey, and many more to choose from.  I like the idea of going with a different shot than schnapps such as the washington apple.  I think primarily because everyone has Schnapps as one of their shot choices and I'd rather do something different.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dollar-dance-shots?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:db7135bd-ecd2-45c7-bafc-6817b3f13508Post:2b7db0c1-c6c2-4fcb-9542-5fd8cd784f15">Re: Dollar Dance Shots</a>:
    [QUOTE]The dollar dance is the only time that we are allowing shots. That's how most weddings in PA are. 

I can't help with your question, but I have to say that's NOT how "most weddings in PA are." I've never been to a PA wedding where there was a dollar dance. It might be the norm in your circle, but please don't make it seem like we all do them.
  • Options
    Both of my children were married in Pa.  Neither one of them had a dollar dance.  Shots were at the bar.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I've been to weddings with DD's before and I can't tell you how much more excited I would have been to get a shot out of the deal too! If its normal in your area . . go for it! It's your wedding! :-)
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of Grape Apes. They taste like kool-aid. Also, Carrot Cakes. Delicious.

PS, Jagermeister is spelled with a J. No Y.
  • Options
    no ideas for you - but that is freakin awesome! I've never heard of such a thing, but I think it's cool that you do shots with the dollar dance...  And yes, you should definitely go for a shot option that tastes good. check with your friends and family - what do they like?
  • Options
    Although I am not having shots at our wedding, I don't see whats wrong with the shots at your DD.  I wouldn't do it, but then again, I have posted several ideas on here that have been shot down faster than a turkey around Thanksgiving.  If its how things are done in your circle, DO IT! 

As far as shots, I agree that you should go with something "girly" and something a little harder for the guys, but I wouldn't recommend straight liqour, as many might come back for several shots, and that could end badly. 

All in all, I hope you have a good time with it!
  • Options
    I would say make a mized drink and serve it up as a shot. It wont be as strong and it will be yummy. At bars when there are shot girls they always have some sort o sweet mixed drink. You can put the mix back into a large bottle and place a spot on it so it's just as easy to pour as a straight liquor.
  • Options
    I'm from Ohio and have been to a few weddings with the dollar dance - so it's not just a "PA thing."  The last wedding I attended they had shots of Apple Pucker and HotDamn.
  • Options
    Maybe you could talk to your bartender/caterer and have them come up with a cool shot just for your wedding, just like a signature drink but serve it as a shot. There might be a way to incorporate one of your wedding colors into the color of the drink and you could even come up with a name that means something to you and your hubby (maybe a cute nickname that you have for the other one).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have been to several weddings and as far back as I can remember there have been shots at wedding during the dollar dance.  Alot of traditions are very localized.  Just the same for the dollar dance, the shots and even cookies. I went to awedding that had no cookie table(they looked at me like I was nuts) Cookies are like the main attraction at weddings around here.  I live about 30 minutes north of Pittsburgh and it is definately a popular tradition around here.  The shots that I usually have taken are the girls: shot of sour apple pucker schnapps or peach schnapps and the guys: shot of whiskey or vodka.  I am having the shots at my wedding, too. 
  • Options
    We have an upcoming wedding in Pittsburgh. We plan on doing the dollar dance, still undecided about the shots, but I think our guests would enjoy that. Shots would only be during the dollar dance and for those that participated, no other time during the reception. Our guests will be served Jameson...and I'm still trying to figure out the other "girlier" shot. Good luck with your decision!!! P.S. I definitely think the shots with the dollar dance are a PA thing, I grew up in Minnesota and had never heard of it before! There will be a lot of mixed traditions in this wedding!!!!
  • Options
    I got all excited for a second because I saw Dani in this thread and thought "She's back!".

Then I realized that someone dug up a thread that's older than my kid.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards