Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

How much to spend....

On a shower gift?

I'm going to a shower in a couple weeks and I'm just wondering - how much do people usually spend on a shower gift?  I'll admit, I've never been to one before, but mine is this coming weekend.  Hers is a DW too, does that make a difference?  I don't want to be 'shower dumb'.

TIA!

Re: How much to spend....

• Options
    For me, it depends on how well I know the bride.  If she's like a best friend, then I'll go high, up to $100, if it's a co-worker, then I'll stay around $50.00.  Family, depends again how close we are, but usually $75.00-$100.00.  So I guess I tend to stay in that same range.
  • Options

Just like Denise, it depends on how well I know her. Usually I spend somewhere around $50, unless she's my best friend in which case I would probably spend more. I think the least amount I ever spent on a shower gift was $30, and that was for someone I hardly knew (why I was invited to the shower I have no idea).

• Options

I agree with PP.  I do $50 standard, and then if it's a closer friend I spend more.

BUT I have found this tends to vary depending on where you live.  So don't feel like you HAVE to spend $50.

• Options
    I typically spend $20-30 on a shower gift, though for a close friend, I might do a little more. Even though my amount is lower than PP's, I never felt like my gift was not enough. I agree that it may depend on where you live, and I think it also depends on your own financial situation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Usually about $50.  More for close friends.  How have you been so lucky to avoid showers up until now?  Wink
  • Options
    Where I'm from, we mostly do gifts for the shower and cash for the wedding.  My typical shower gift is anywhere from $30-$50, depending on what I can afford at the time.  For a very good friend or one of my sisters, I'll spend a little more.  I ALWAYS shop from the registry, since I really stink at picking out gifts.  My only non-registry gift was for a friend who was honeymooning in Scotland (and had already paid for the trip) - I went and exchanged the money I would have spent on their gift into currency that is accepted in Scotland and I put the bills into the pockets of a photo album they could use for their honeymoon pics.  People at the shower RAVED about my gift!  (I admit, I stole the idea from someone I worked with. lol) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards