Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Renting the Dress?

So I recently read an article that talked about renting a wedding gown. Now its seems like a great idea if there's a dress you really love, but simply can't afford. I was wondering if anyone out there had ever heard  of this, or better yet done it yourself. 
How do alterations work to be sure you still have the perfect fit? 
Any recommendations for a vendor in the area?
Now i know there's many reasons to buy a dress, have it preserved, and keep it for sentimental reasons. But quite honestly i don't know anyone who has ever done anything with their preserved dress. 
Advice, opinions anyone??
**So long little Ms. ...Hello Mrs.**

Re: Renting the Dress?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I thought it was a good idea, I didn't find any places though.  Later I found out you can't get them altered.

I would suggest going to:
    And checking out used dresses.

Also check out 

Then you can buy a designer dress at a lower cost, get it altered, then sell it after the wedding.  
    I bought mine for a good price at a sample sale and plan on selling it after the wedding.  Weddingbees also has lists of sample sales.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Unfortunately, it seems to be a popular thing out in the midwest/west, but not out here.  I have never heard of any place doing it.

When FI's aunt got married in OH, and I found out they rented all the pieces of her ensemble from a store (dress, veil, crinoline, etc), I was floored because I had never heard of doing that before.
  • Options
    RobotCakeRobotCake member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It sounds like a great idea, but I wonde if it would ever catch on? I know it doesn't seem fair that the guys can rent their tuxes and we have to spend tons of money on a gown.  With tuxedos and suits, there really aren't too many styles to choose from.  I think a bridal gown rental shop would have to be somewhat limited in the styles offered.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_renting-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:208bd61b-3be5-4a96-9993-40cc0bb962d6Post:dcf60e91-fcbf-4454-9906-0aac67ac05d0">Re: Renting the Dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It sounds like a great idea, but I wonde if it would ever catch on? I know it doesn't seem fair that the guys can rent their tuxes and we have to spend tons of money on a gown.  With tuxedos and suits, there really aren't too many styles to choose from.  I think a bridal gown rental shop would have to be somewhat limited in the styles offered.
    Posted by RobotCake[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think that is the issue Robot.  I also read about online before I was engaged, then recently read about it again.  </div><div>As the shop owner you would have to get new dresses all the time, they take up a lot of room, etc, etc.</div><div>
    </div><div>For tuxes in a single wedding 10 guys may all get the same tux, then you have proms, black tie events etc.  Less choice, they take up less room, they aren't white, it's a better biz.  

</div>
  • Options
    TNMurrayTNMurray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know someone that did this. She was very young when she got married and didn't have the money, but she got married in Texas. I refuse to put my dress in a box so i have a few plans.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Can't help with renting, but try checking out Sabrina Ann's--it's a bridal consignment shop in Ardmore.  Also the The Sample Rack in Philly, they sell sample gowns at a big discount.
  • Options
    nancyrnancyr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try One Night Affair, they're based out in California.  Great dresses, but I haven't used them. 
  • Options
    debnchrisdebnchris member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi  I actually went to Sabrina Anns had an appt but looked for about 30 mins and found 2 dresses but left without trying anything on I wasnt inpressed at all with the selection -- just a heads up is all
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards