October 2012 Weddings
Options

Tipping second photographer?

I am getting my tips ready for Thursday (eeeek!) and I'm not sure how to tip the photographers. My photographer is the only "employee" in his business and he doesn't have an official partner. However, we chose a package with him that includes two photographers. The way he works is he just chooses one of his professional friends to work with and lets the bride and groom know a month before the wedding who that person will be. I now know the name of our second photographer and have seen lots of her work, and I'm really excited to see how our pictures will turn out.

Anyway, I am not sure how to do the tipping. Do we tip each photographer the same amount? Or do I tip the guy we actually "hired" more, since he's the one who attended two meetings with us, did our engagement pics, and has answered all of my questions for the past ten months?

I was thinking about putting a large tip in one envelope and handing it to him, then letting him determine how the tip will be divided. I trust him to share it as he sees fit, but I do want to make sure the second photographer gets something.

WDYT? Anyone else in that situation, and what are you doing?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Tipping second photographer?

• Options
    Do you know if the second photographer is an employee, or co-owner or partner? That might make a difference. We have two, but they're a husband and wife who own their business together.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    we aren't tipping our photographers.
  • Options
    Because your photographer is the owner of his company you do not have to tip him, all of the profits go to him anyways. If you want to tip the second shooter you can because she is a sub-contractor instead of an owner. I would tip her whatever you feel comfortable with. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would tip both photographers equally if you choose to tip them (this is optional).  You paid the main photographer to meet with you and take photos, and his friend I assume is also being paid (probably less as he didn't attend the meetings).  A tip is just a reward for excellent service.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards