DC
Options

Catering

Um, did anyone else nearly pass out when they saw their catering estimates? I sincerly cannot believe these numbers and am really pretty much convinced (as of the last 24 hours) that we are basically not going to be able to have the wedding we want simply because of the astronomical prices... something has to give.
The food prices aren't that bad, really -- $21 - $25/ person for plated entrees, $6 for salads, reasonable prices for cocktail hour hors d'ouvers. But the serviceware rentals, the personnel and all the extras (coffee with cake is extra!?!) are insane! More than $1,100 for chairs!?!?
How much of this stuff is negotiable? And how did you get into the negotiation phase of this mess?

Re: Catering

• Options
    Kitcat106Kitcat106 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hear ya!!! It is crazy how much you are charged. I decided not to go with a venue where we needed to get our own caterer because I did not want to deal with getting multiple price estimates, negotiating,  etc. I also felt it would get pricey having to rent chairs and linens.

We chose a venue where we could have the ceremony (for a nominal rental fee--less than $500) and reception, and where teh food is cooked by the venue. We are paying $85 pp. It includes tables, chairs, linens, hors d'oevres, appetizer, entree, chocolate-covered strawberries (no cake though--we have to pay for that through a cake baker), and a top-shelf bar with unlimited drinks for each person.

Sorry I am not helping with your catering question. But I wanted you to know that I was in your shoes and ultimately said the hell with it! I'm not dealing with getting nickeled and dimed for everything, and chose a place that included a lot in their menu pricing. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Seriously, thought, that *does* help. To know that even if you are doing an all-inclusive, the bottom line is that it's going to be between $80 and $90 pp and that's just the joy of living in the DC area. It's a start down the road to acceptance....
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Try shopping around and anything is negotiable.  They may not tell you that but dont be afraid to ask.  We're going with Basiknead Catering in VA and they really really worked with my budget.  Ask for Lena.  They also didn't try to nickle and dime me.  Ohh and the food was delicious. 
    Try having the reception somewhere you can bring in your own caterer.  Also you can provide your own alcohol and the caterer can just provide the bartenders.  Do buffet instead of plated for dinner because the service charge for the waiters is what drives the bill up the most.  Thats what we're doing also.  For chairs if you want chivari, try DiVinci Floral @ 5.50 per chair and then call DC Rental and ask for if they best prices which they do.  Thats als owhat I did and got 160 chairs for 4.25 a piece.  Again shop around and ask for discounts of price matching.  Be strong and good luck.  I know it seems hopeless but it's not. Good luck and happy planning. 

• Options
    OFFOFF
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I'm in the same boat. We're looking at $100 + pp for food and rentals.  OUCH!  If you have the opportunity to look into different rental companies that may help.  Also, caterers/rental companies often show you more expensive options but may have less expensive options that are just as nice and may work better.  No one notices the plates just the food on them.  So if you can get plain plates and silverware that may drop the costs.  We splurged on tablecloths but chose a cheaper napkin afterall it's in their laps and their wiping their mouths with it they don't need silk.   I wish you luck in your negotiations I hope you dont have to sacrifice what you want. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards