Georgia-Atlanta
Options

What to do first, second, third???

I'm having a bit of an issue deciding what direction I should take things in. 

I know what's first, obviously setting a budget. You can't plan a wedding without knowing how much you have to spend. But where do I go from there? I'm thinking I want to kind of get a mock guest list together so I can see how big this thing might get (and if I want to nix that right in the bud and go smaller). This obviously wouldn't be the final count, but a rough estimate. You can't choose a venue without knowing how many people to put in it, so I guess that's third??

I'm kind of overwhelmed and not really sure of where to go. BTW, the knot's wedding checklist is worthless. I'm pretty sure all of the things I mentioned above are more important to decide before "envisioning your wedding colors" Pffftttttt! 

HELP!

Re: What to do first, second, third???

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_what-to-do-first-second-third?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:26286261-aa14-446d-aa00-dea956dd5cc5Post:a88b0c88-19a6-4299-83e3-cd085c4d87b5">What to do first, second, third???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm having a bit of an issue deciding what direction I should take things in.  I know what's first, obviously setting a budget. You can't plan a wedding without knowing how much you have to spend. But where do I go from there? I'm thinking I want to kind of get a mock guest list together so I can see how big this thing might get (and if I want to nix that right in the bud and go smaller). This obviously wouldn't be the final count, but a rough estimate. You can't choose a venue without knowing how many people to put in it, so I guess that's third?? I'm kind of overwhelmed and not really sure of where to go. BTW, the knot's wedding checklist is worthless. <strong>I'm pretty sure all of the things I mentioned above are more important to decide before "envisioning your wedding colors" Pffftttttt! </strong> HELP!
    Posted by DanieKA[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>You are partially right there. Envisioning small details like that isn't nearly as important as getting a guest list together and setting a budget, but you should know your overall vision for your wedidng. A black tie affair is going to cost a lot more than a back yard BBQ. Knowing what you really want is important so that you can set a realistic budget. For example, you can have a lovely wedding for $5k, but if you desperately want an ultra formal reception at an upscale venue right in downtown Atlanta, that's just not going to cover it. </div><div>
    </div><div>So, here is my suggested list of how to start:</div><div>
    </div><div>1.) Decide what kind of wedding you want</div><div>
    </div><div>2.) Set a budget. Make sure it's something that you can comfortably afford and don't count on any money from anyone else until you have it in your hand. </div><div>
    </div><div>3.) Make a rough guest list. Start with absolutely anyone you would want to invite. Make the list and see how high that numer goes - and trust me, it goes up fast. Then start making your cuts. You don't have to invite someone to your wedding just because you were invited to theirs. As a general rule, if you haven't spoken to this person in a year or more and rarely even think about them then you can probably cut them. A sad but true fact about inviting guests to your wedding is that it can strain relationships. </div><div>
    </div><div>4.) Pick a venue. The venue should probably be the first thing you book. Every venue has a different set of rules, and some force you to use their caterers/DOCs/florists etc. Just remember when looking at you venue that you should ALWYAS plan for 100% attendance. If a venue you fall in love with holds 100 people then you should invite no more than 100 people. </div><div>
    </div><div>Something you should probably do before booking a venue is booking a wedding planner if you are having one. A wedding planner probably knows your perfect venue once you sit down and talk to her and explain your wants and needs. They can also get you better prices on your vendors. </div><div>
    </div><div>You can use tools like TheKnot budgeter as a guide to allocating your budget.  You can see their reccomendations and adjust it according to your wants and needs. Once you get the big stuff like that tackled, the other stuff starts to fall into place. You have your budget for things like the caterer and the florist and the baker, and then it's just a matter of searching until you find the person that fits both your needs and budget. </div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck and happy planning : )</div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    Oh - and don't forget that there is nothing wrong with a longer engagement to pay for the wedding you want. It's more and more common for couples to be engaged for 2 or 3 years rather than the traditional one year.
  • Options
    Also, have a range of dates or month that you're targeting. I'm in grad school and work full time so that was one of the first things we had to do since I'm in class every other Saturday most months.
  • Options
    Thank you guys so much!!! I am definitely gonna start with budget and guest list. I think those are the two things that need to be addressed before anything. And then from there FI and I really need to look at the list, decide if we want to go big or go small, and take it from there, with venue soon after that. 

I think we will be having a longer engagement. I would love a Fall wedding, but I'm already scheduled to the max this Fall since I'm in a wedding at the end of September. I could do October, but I'm pretty sure we'll just do it next year so I can take my time and do a few things a month. I know I could probably do it this year, but I'd rather wait so I have more time. 

Thanks again! I appreciate it!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_what-to-do-first-second-third?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:26286261-aa14-446d-aa00-dea956dd5cc5Post:7d2f5089-0dc9-46ac-a101-8644ff7bf13a">Re: What to do first, second, third???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you guys so much!!! I am definitely gonna start with budget and guest list. I think those are the two things that need to be addressed before anything. And then from there FI and I really need to look at the list, decide if we want to go big or go small, and take it from there, with venue soon after that.  I think we will be having a longer engagement. I would love a Fall wedding, but I'm already scheduled to the max this Fall since I'm in a wedding at the end of September. I could do October, but I'm pretty sure we'll just do it next year so I can take my time and do a few things a month. <strong>I know I could probably do it this year, but I'd rather wait so I have more time.  Thanks again! I appreciate it!</strong>
    Posted by DanieKA[/QUOTE]

<div>You're completely right - there is no rush! </div>
  • Options
    Ditto Poke. Your GL size determines SO much regarding costs. The smaller you can get that, the more you'll save in various areas of your budget. Same with choosing your WP. Also, make sure you always plan on 100% attendance. Never assume X% will not make it. A lot of brides have a very high acceptance rate. 

As far as locations, if you're wanting to save, I suggest looking at places that don't market as "wedding" venues. They are often cheaper, let you pick your own caterer, etc. We found a country club in Elberton (FI's hometown, east of Athens) that charges a $150 rental fee with a required caterer, $18/person and half price kids for a 2 entree buffet.  

However, the wedding venues DO sometimes have all inclusive packages that cover everything for the reception, so that's something worth considering. They also likely have staff who are familiar with (current) wedding processes.and trends. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I've been engaged for a year or so, but we know tons of vendors, etc if you need any help. I've been planning for a while, toured/contacted many places and people. Let me know what all you are envisioning your perfect day, maybe I can help suggest things. Just think about you and your special someone and what makes you two 'you' and plan a big party to celebrate that, this is a wedding! ;) I'm excited.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_what-to-do-first-second-third?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:26286261-aa14-446d-aa00-dea956dd5cc5Post:8bc0122e-4ff8-40bd-8832-23d2d25a0d5d">Re: What to do first, second, third???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been engaged for a year or so, but we know tons of vendors, etc if you need any help. I've been planning for a while, toured/contacted many places and people. Let me know what all you are envisioning your perfect day, maybe I can help suggest things. Just think about you and your special someone and what makes you two 'you' and plan a big party to celebrate that, this is a wedding! ;) I'm excited.
    Posted by ButterflyChickadee[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks so much! I appreciate it. I'll definitely PM you in teh future if I have any questions!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards