Colorado-Denver
Options

Cake Baker Concerns

My FH and I were supposed to do our cake tasting this weekend, but that turned out to be a major flop.  We had a tasting scheduled for 10am and arrived on time only to find that no one was home.  We called the phone number for the cake company, but no one was available so we left a message and proceeded to wait for about 15min.  When no one arrived and no return call was received, we headed home.  At home I decided to check my email where I found an email from the cake person stating that they had to cancel and would like to reschedule.  The email came in at about 8:45am, our appointment was at 10am.  There was no attempt to call us to cancel, and I didn’t think to check my email.  We are now concerned that we should find another baker.  We are getting married August 13th and are terrified that if a cake tasting appointment can’t be held, how can we trust our cake to be delivered on our wedding day?  This is a small husband and wife team that makes beautiful cakes that are delicious (from what I hear).  They agreed to do a 100 serving cake for $200 (we do have a signed contract), $100 we have already paid as the deposit.  I am unimpressed by their customer service so far, it took 4 or 5 phone calls (none of which were answered or returned) to schedule the cake tasting, I received an email to schedule it in the end.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Should we hold out and hope that they are as good as they appear, or should we try to locate another baker?  Thank you in advance for any thoughts!  

Re: Cake Baker Concerns

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am not sure if there is much you can do since you have signed a contract and put down money.

Talk to them and see what they say!

Best of luck
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Talk to them to see if you can get your deposit back.  Listen to your gut feeling.  If it's losing 100$ over having peace of mind on your wedding day...maybe it's worth it. 
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Charlsie. I would go with your gut. If you lose your deposit, so be it. Better to be happy and sure of all of your vendors rather than worrying whether or not they're going to show up. But do try to get the deposit back first.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    UPDATE:  I wasn't going to mention the name of the vendor, but after doing more research..it turns out that I am not the only person having problems with this cake "company".  We are dealing with SIMPLICITY CAKES.  I wish I had seen previous posts about this company, I would have never contacted them!  I am going to give them a few more days to get back in touch with me (I asked them to confirm when our NEW cake tasting will be).  If I do not hear anything, I will be contacting them and requesting that they refund my $100 in full.  I do not suggest that ANYONE use this vendor.  I also can't help but feel that I am getting treated poorly because they agreed to give us a little cheaper price...I guess if we were paying full price they would be able to make time for us. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hope it works out for you.. we are using The Bagel Bakery in Thornton.

http://www.thebagelbakery.net if you want to check them out. The owner is great at answering your emails and phone calls on time. So far i have had no issues with them

Best of luck with all that happens with this vendor.
  • Options
    jj_5150jj_5150 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am useing Val with http://www.totallybakedchefllc.com/ she is awesome, her cakes taste amazing, awesome work, great customer service, and very afordable, her cakes go for $2.00 a slice and that is fully decorated, not just a plain cake. She has over 130 flavors, and a bunch of fillings as well. I would check out her website. I emailed her my ideas, she got back to me with in like 10minutes of sending the email, sent up a cake tasting the next. Really easy to work with.

Best of luck
  • Options
    chelbell326chelbell326 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Paula from Teacup Shop Bakery & she was FABULOUS!  Came to our house twice for tastings & was on-time both times.  She's awesome!
    no identifiable siggy pictures anymore, thanks a lot stupid nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had the same problem with this vendor.  They cancelled, never called me back and then told me that they forgot they had another appointment booked.  I emailed her and said I was going a different route and she wrote a snotty message back about how they are just trying to give brides the best deal, blah blah blah.  I didn't respond.  Good luck and I am sure you will find a great cake!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    UPDATE:  I cancelled my contract with this vendor and requested that they return our deposit.  They gave me a song and dance about someone being ill, and that it had just became an issue at the beginning of this year.  Sadly, they gave this SAME story in June 2009 to another bride, but went a step further and said that the person who is ill today had DIED!!!  WOW, the things people come up with.  Anyway, I requested the deposit be returned on 5/19, hopefully we get something in the mail this week.  We are likely going to go with Val with the Totally Baked Chef due to price and customer service.  Michelle with The Bagel Bakery was fabulous and her customer service was stellar, but was just a tad out of our price range.  Either baker seems wonderful to work with and I look forward to a much better experience!  Thank you all for the advice and encouragement!!!
  • Options
    jj_5150jj_5150 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome I'm glad it seems to be working out for you. Hope you enjoy working with Val as much as we are.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards