Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Photography Freak Out

Ok, ladies...I'm kind of freaking out in my photography search.  I had absolutely NO CLUE about the stress of choosing the right one and more importantly the COST. I've gotten info from various photographers  I'm turning to you all for some guidance, hoping if I tell ya what I'm looking for you can tell me what a reasonable price point is and also some suggestions of who else to look into.  I'm looking for someone who can do photojournalistic style but still willing to capture some of the "required" posed shots too. Ideally this is what I'd like to have included:

* Unlimited time coverage or at least 10 hours (our reception is 5 hours, ceremony 0.5 hour, we're doing "first reveal" and bridal party shots before ceremony, and I'd also like getting ready pics)
* Two photographers
* DVD with copyright letter
* An album of some sort -- flexible on size/#of pages, etc., just prefer the more modern style as opposed to the old fashioned mount a pic on a page sort

Re: Photography Freak Out

• Options
    edited December 2011

I am using Clair Pruett and you can get what you are looking for (not sure about the copyright letter- we haven't decided on video yet so I haven't really looked into that part) for around $5-6Kfor both the photo and video. A bunch of my friends from different circles all used Gary from CP for photography and loved their albums. he works out of the Blue Bell studio and has an additional retainer fee- but worth it. I think the album comes with 80-100 photos depending on your package.

(Also depends on if you want a second photographer or an assistant. if you want a second- I think its an additional $1K or so.)
    Sorry- not much more I can help with- I only looked at them because of so many people that I knew that used him that I immediately booked him after I got engaged without looking around at others (might not have been the smartest but I have no reservations about how my album will turn out!) so I have no info on other prices or photographers!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who have you contacted so far and liked? What do you have as a photography budget?

My photographer, when I booked about a year ago, was $4K for an almost identical package. We also had engagement pictures and 400 4x6 prints included.

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry- just realized that you might have meant a DVD of pictures- I was thinking videographer! If that is what you meant- their prices start around $2500 and go up depending on what package you choose (how long, how many photographers you want. I would think you would be able to get everything you listed for under $4K but I would email them if you are interested for rates.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My photog is Lorraine Daley - she's photojournalistic, has an artistic eye - but will capture the "posed" shots your looking for. Her package begins at 3k and includes:

- 8 hrs
    - 2 photographers
    - Photo editing
    - disc of photos w/rights to copy
    - online proofing, store, and slideshow
    - complimentary engagment session

If you need xtra time, its $200/hr. They have a lot of extras you can get too (box of all prints, dvd of your slideshow, etc.) The album is an additional $1k. I'm going to use the image files and make my own online for much cheaper.

http://www.lorrainedaleyweddings.com/index.html
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Reasonable is different for everyone but start with these

Philip Gabriel, he is my photographer
    http://www.philipgabriel.com/

Tony Hoffer, love his work
    http://hofferphotography.com/

Jenna Walcott, Lemma's photographer
    http://jennawalcott.com/

and Sharyn Frenkel, B2B's photographer
    http://www.sharynfrenkelphotography.com/

Let us know your budget and who you have already contacted.

Also check out the Philly "blog" to see who everyone here has used.
    The link should be in RA's siggy
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • Options
    bballgirl8789bballgirl8789 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My photographer and dipsontop's is/was Photography by Leah.  We're getting married in July and switched to her in January and already couldn't be happier.  She has flexible packages and is willing to work with your budget. We are paying $2,000 for:

2 photographers
    8 hours of coverage
    CD of photos with copyrights
    Full editing, color tints, etc.

She does albums and would be able to extend your coverage.  If you want more info on how she was on the wedding day ask dipsontop.  She was really helpful :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto what bballgirl said!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My photographer, www.blacksilverimaging.com should provide you with all of that. Their work is great. :)
    Anniversary
    TTC since 12/17/11
    BFP 02/19/2012
    M/C 03/05/2012 *we love you, angel* BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    firegrl43firegrl43 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Cait --  I guess maybe "reasonable" isn't the right word.  Basically I was trying to ask what an average price for what I want included would be.  That way I'd know if the the prices I've gotten so far are what I should expect to pay. Thanks for the suggestions!

I've been in email or phone contact with Candid Moments (Doug Burns), Duca Studios, Always and Forever, Shooting Stars (Missy Sowden), and checked out websites of a bunch of others. 

My budget is in a state of adjustment right now.  Like I said I had NO CLUE what pictures would cost so originally I was figuring $2500-3000.  But now I'm realizing for what I want that just won't cut it.  I'm "hoping" to stay in the range of $3500-4000 and get all of the things on my list.    

• Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Chris Hensel too - wpjphoto.com
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look at Sarah Schulte as well
  • Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Sarah Schulte Photography and got the following

- CD of all images high res, and rights
    - 4x6 copy of every picture
    - 2 photographers
    - All day coverage (no hours set)
    - About 3k when I booked.
    -Engagement pictures were I think 300 with rights to the CD, back when I booked, probably a little more now.

I think if you want an album... I think it was around 1k more... I think. You should look into her. She does photojournalistic, but still did the "formal" shots I wanted at the church etc. I loved her!
  • Options
    angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you are looking at a minimum of $3500. Unless you went with somebody with not a lot of experience.
  • Options
    Jamy0807Jamy0807 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recommend Marc Anthony. He is definitely one of the best and most reasonably priced. He's also one of the nicest guys ever and really cares. He actually rented a movie theater and paid for a private screening of the movie bridesmaids just for his already booked clients. He's awesome. Another I would recommend is Tony Hoffer who is on the same level as Marc is. His website is www.marcanthonyphoto.com.
  • Options
    firegrl43firegrl43 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming!  I'll have plenty to keep me busy internet searching this weekend lol.

Dibs & Bball -- I checked out Leah and she looked like she might be right in our budget.  Unfortunately she's already booked for my date.  She barely has any dates x'd out for 2012 and of course mine would be one...such a bummer :-(
  • Options
    Jamy0807Jamy0807 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you like Leah you'll love my photographer. Work wise there is no comparison. I know his base package is $2900 which is full day coverage, two photographers, and high res images on disc. Albums are between $900 and $1200 I think. So he's right in your range. Trust me. He is the best decision I made yet.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    firegirl - my photography posts tend to get deleted for some reason...so I will post my list of recommends here and then PM them to you just in case.  I used Doug Burns and loved him, so many of the people I can recommend are likely still in that same style/price range.

Sarah Schulte
    Sandor Welsh
    Sharyn Frnakel (should be at the lower end of your $3-4k budget, I think)
    Rich Lavigne (should also be at that lower end)
    Mike Landis

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My post has been deleted twice now - you have a private message.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My post has now been dleted 4 times, but I want to make sure that you see your private message.  I'm very sorry for this, firegirl.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In case it get deleted again, LRM sent you a PM so check you PMs

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out Craig Single www.singleexposure.com. He is who I am using and I think you can get all of that for around $3500.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Options
    Amerbutt81Amerbutt81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like that LRM gets deleted everytime, but Jamy can say 'well if you like this person you'll love this photog that I already mentioned'

Thumbs up Knottie Annie.  Thumbs up.
    Mrs. JEGs
    est 7.17.10
    [IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/2md4eb4.jpg[/IMG]
    Hunter Fillmore
    October 1, 2011

Lizzie In Progress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like that LRM gets deleted everytime, but Jamy can say 'well if you like this person you'll love this photog that I already mentioned'

Thumbs up Knottie Annie. Thumbs up.

- Amer

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Why do people think Marc is on the same level as Hoffer??  not at all.
  • Options
    Jamy0807Jamy0807 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's called an opinion and everyone is entitled to it. I personally haven't seen one photo that Tony has done that Marc hasn't matched in quality and light. B2B you are entitled to your opinion and nobody is taking that away from you. I know what properly exposed and composition should look like. In my eyes, they are equal.
  • Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP

Hoffer is not the same quality as Marc.

While Marc's work is not bad, I think Hoffer is a step above.

Good luck!
  • Options
    angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_photography-freak-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:80dc3e15-7f19-4680-84bd-9a1350019a64Post:8e588077-b4e3-488b-bf6a-faa223f6d9c9">Re: Photography Freak Out</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's called an opinion and everyone is entitled to it. I personally haven't seen one photo that Tony has done that Marc hasn't matched in quality and light. B2B you are entitled to your opinion and nobody is taking that away from you. I know what properly exposed and composition should look like. In my eyes, they are equal.
    Posted by Jamy0807[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think they are equal in quality, but definitely not in style. Meaning that who a person likes really depends on what they are looking for.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hoffer is out if you want to stay under 4k and get all the stuff you listed above.  (just an fyi)
    October 2012 May 2011 Siggy: E-Ring
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Santorini2011Santorini2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are going with Georgi Anastasov and he offers all of the things you're looking for.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ^Georgi was Doug Burns's second shooter for our wedding!  There is a bit of  a langauge barrier there, but wow, did he get some wonderful shots of our day.  He was also lovely to work with and the guys had a good time getting ready with him. A colleague at school also used Georgi and was very happy...using him will get you photos similar to Doug's style but likely less expensively. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards