North Carolina-Outer Banks

Short Dress

Although I can't try on yet (won't let myself as motivation), I am narrowing down the styles I am interested in through pictures.  I just keep leaning toward a short dress.  I'm not one to wear white anyway so I want something with black accents.  I am also a pretty hardcore partier (for lack of a better word) so I think short would be much better for me.  Thoughts on a short dress?
Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Short Dress

• edited December 2011
    I think short dresses are great! I've seen some really cute ones that I love. I love the fun, laid back, vintagey vibe they give a wedding. I think a short dress would fit an OBX wedding perfectly!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • delilahjzdelilahjz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea of a short dress!  Not only does it offer all the party access, but there are some beautiful vintage styles.  The one thing I really love is movement!  My dress is going to be long, but when I tried on all the things I thought I was going to love the one thing they lacked was movement.  Definately post pictures when you find your dream dress :)
  • rebecca2929rebecca2929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I love short wedding dresses!  I tried on a couple and especially loved one until I saw my dress hanging on a mannequin.  I say go for it.  They have such a vintagey vibe and think of all the photo opps you'll have right there on the beach without the bottom getting wet.

Anniversary
  • hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I say go for it if that's what you want.  I was dead set on getting a short dress, I just didn't find any that fit me right or that I LOVED.  So I started trying on long dresses and thats how I ended up with a long one.  I love the idea of short dresses though :)  I was at DB a few weeks ago and they had some on a rack in the front that were really cute, they definitely didn't have those when I was trying on.
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • ksj10032782ksj10032782 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a bride who in the last month bought her dress.. I suggest trying on both long and short. I originally thought I wanted a short one, but after trying on several short and long ones, I ended up with a long one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As everyone else already said, I LOVE the idea of a short dress!! I think you should still do it in white though, just so no one else is wearing a similar dress to the bride!
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone too!  I've loved this dress for a while (it would be so perfect for the beach!)...

image June 22, 2012
  • edited December 2011
    I love short dresses.  I agree with the others and try on both.  I completely changed the style of dress I wanted once I tried it on.
    Lisa Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • varedbirdvaredbird member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wore a short dress with the cutest flip flops.  Try both on and if you love the short dress...go for it!
  • edited December 2011
    AH HAH!!!!  I NOW know that my bride to be will be in a long dress!  More details pleaaaaaaaaaaase! :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_short-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:66ce5b1c-dda6-4192-8872-558d48bd3c1dPost:e8f0aa77-0ebd-477f-9eb5-d266a908915c">Re: Short Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]AH HAH!!!!  I NOW know that my bride to be will be in a long dress!  More details pleaaaaaaaaaaase! :-)
    Posted by Phillyboy06[/QUOTE]

That's not much of a hint.  Odds were in favor of that.
  • ksj10032782ksj10032782 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Or maybe it's a short dress, and I'm just trying to confuse him!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Nice Kelly J!  Haha!  Thanks guys.  I know I should probably try on all styles (except mermaid/trumpet - my hips are a no go for that!) so I will do that :)  FI is the best.  I mentioned that I was thinking short dress and his response was :  "whatever you want baby.  But you do have great legs, so I'm rooting for short."  I am getting so freaking excited already!
  • edited December 2011

Have you seen the convertible dresses?  There are some really cute ones that would definitely change things up. 

• edited December 2011
    boderboo - thanks!  yes, I have.  Unfortunately I haven't liked any of the styles.  But I would be willing to try one on.  In my life I've definitely learned that challenging body types (me - super wide hips, broad shoulders - even with a BMI under 25% I'm a size 14 street!) you have to try stuff on.  Things that don't look good on the hanger sometimes look good on
  • Amysarah426Amysarah426 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going short. I tried on a bunch and didn't love any of them...I got tired of the sales people saying "don't worry, just pick a long one and we can cut it off". So I'm having a minidress made from a 60's vintage pattern I found. I'm a little nervous but it feels right so I'm going with it.
  • I'm going to rework my grandma's dress and might shorten it. It's satin and I'm thinking that will make it cooler considering we're having an August wedding. I really like the look of short dresses!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards