North Carolina-Outer Banks

? Catering service - Beverages in particular

After the fact, I have a question about Beverage and Bar packages.  BTW, this was a seated/served dinner.

If you have/had Coffee Service to have with the wedding cake, do/did you expect the servers to offer it at your table?  We were told this would happen; however, NO coffee was offered to any quests.  About 8 guests did ask for coffee for their meal and were served coffee WITHOUT the saucer.  OMG.

Beverages were suppose to be sweet ice tea, unsweetened ice tea, lemonade, Pepsi, Sprite and bottled water.  None of this was served to any guests.  My 10 & 12 year old grandsons had to ask for something to drink.  Tap water w. ice was at each setting.  Were guests expected to go to the bar to get their meal drink?  Hardly, I would think.

And, we got a call as we came off the beach that we needed to bring ice to the venue.  Hello!  Did I miss something?  Why was ice not supplied by the caterer?

Unbeknown to us, the rental co. delivered a flat of saucers (20) instead of bread & butter plates.  So, when the caterer set the tables, the B&B were short (only 77 instead of 97).  Never let us know.  Never called the rental co.  I found out when we got to the venue and I asked the chef why no B&B on the tables.  Rental co. told me that all of the caterers call if anything is short, missing, etc.  Would you be angry with the caterer for not letting anyone know about the B&B plates?  The rental co. refunded us.  Ironic that we had too many saucers since none were used!  

Knotties, please give me your thoughts on this.  The food was GREAT.  But the beverage issue is still bothering me and my wallet. 

Re: ? Catering service - Beverages in particular

• edited December 2011
    I would be mad too! Especially since you had a sit down dinner instead of a buffet.
    I had a similar issue with the water goblets. I realized a few weeks before the wedding that we definitely needed water at every place setting. I talked to the caterer and she said they would have pitchers of water and would fill the glasses. The water goblets were placed at every seat, but were never filled. I had a friend talk to the severs about it and one brought me a bottled water (the bottles water that I bought!)

I think the take home message here is to be very clear about how you want non-alcoholic drinks served.  Make sure the details are written in your contract for both parties to see.
  • edited December 2011
    I am posting my response from FB here because I think future OBX brides should hear this discussion.  If you don't get this resolved, you need to name names here.

I'd be pizzzzed. Of course they should have served drinks AND ice. I had Red Sky cater and I had a choice between a plated dinner and a tapas bar. I wanted people to be able to try all of the food, not just have a chicken, beef or fish choice. I was hesitant on the tapas bar because I wanted people SERVED. Eric told me not to worry because people would still be served their drinks at their tables during dinner. So that's what I went with and my guests didn't go thirsty. Russo, we had water goblets and they were always filled with water.  (That reminds me of going over to my Aunt Judy's house as a kid. You'd always die of thirst because noone ever offered you a drink.) For bar packages I had a choice of everything supplied or bar service with mixers and ice. Now you're making me look up my contract for you. They messed up, plain and simple. They should be professionals and fess up. And the ice thing, ridiculous. Excerpts from my catering contract:

Ice, Bar Fruit, Juices, Mixers, Sodas, Bottled Water,
    Sweet & Dry Vermouths, Lime Juice, Grenadine & Coolers
    Coffee, Lemonade, Iced Tea and Proper Accoutrements

*Client Provides All Beer, Wine and / or Liquor*

Red Sky Café to provide the following:
    • All serving equipment, chafing dishes, platters and serving utensils.
    • Tables and white linen for food presentation and bars, as necessary.
    • White linen napkins for guest dining.
    • Cards with menu descriptions at serving areas.
    • All kitchen, bar and service staff.
    • All beverages and beverage service, including wine during dinner.
    • Sparkling wine and flutes for toast.

Client to provide the following:
    • All china, glassware and flatware required for service.
    • All dining tables, chairs, table linens and centerpieces, including their set-up and breakdown.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards