January 2012 Weddings

not sure right now...

that I still want to even be a teacher. I think I need to get another job for a year that I hate, so that the teaching passion returns to me. Right now my heart just can't justify looking for a job when I am completely unmotivated to teach, but no one else agrees with me. What do you ladies and Mark think?

Re: not sure right now...

• This is completely understandable and something I went through as well. It took me almost 2 years after I graduated to get my first teaching job. Granted I did move to Florida for almost 2 years and had several interviews, but nothing ever came of it. When I moved back to PA I got the first teaching job I interviewed for. Initially I was excited, but ended up having to deal with a lot of personal issues (mainly depression) which took my passion away. That combined with the philosophy of the school made me want to leave. Now I'm back in Florida for 2 years and it is almost 5 years after I graduated college. I worked in retail for over a year as an Assistant Manager. Finally five years AFTER graduating I am ready to teach and take on all the responsibility of being a teacher.

Give yourself a break and take a job somewhere else for a while. That may be just what you need to restore you passion in teaching. I know I needed a break. I hope this helps!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • It sounds like your are a little burnt out.  Thats pretty normal for everyone to go through at some point in time.  What I like about education is that it is applical anywhere.  You could do day cares, schools, summer camps, nannying, people with disabililites, ect.  If you want to stay in your field but not teach, those would be some good suggestions.

Otherwise, if you feel that you need to take a break, you have to do what is best for you.What kind of job would you want to do for 1 year?
  • Why do you feel this way now when you just finished your student teaching? You haven't even experienced your first teaching job yet. Maybe your student teaching experience wasn't great but that shouldn't stop you from applying for teaching jobs. Make a list of why you wanted to be a teacher in the first place and see if those reasons are still dear to you. This should help you to make your decision. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_not-sure-right-now?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:bb1c732f-be6c-41d6-a9d1-115b37aaa3e7Post:8e46db5f-3dcd-427b-ac9b-9f1e87942033">Re: not sure right now...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why do you feel this way now when you just finished your student teaching? You haven't even experienced your first teaching job yet. Maybe your student teaching experience wasn't great but that shouldn't stop you from applying for teaching jobs. Make a list of why you wanted to be a teacher in the first place and see if those reasons are still dear to you. This should help you to make your decision. Good luck!
    Posted by TaraW1979[/QUOTE]

Part of it is also the climate of the government. PA now is like NJ two years ago, as far as where the education system is going. I have a few friends who just got laid off from their teaching jobs. Part of it is that the things that I believe in education are being taken away by schools because they can't afford them.

But on a happy note, I found a place that is hiring for a work from home seamstress, for which I am going to apply. That will at least make me happy for the time being.
  • If you could do bridal gowns, you would make bank!

Good luck with the job!
  • I hear ya with the government. It really hard right now. As you know, I got laid off in June 2010. I'm really hoping to get back in to a public school, but it's just so hard right now.

Good luck on the seamstress job! I hope it works out for you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards