South Carolina-Charleston

Cheap in Charleston...don't even think its possible!

Why does cheap equal 1-2 grand for space rental! I have been googling all morning for cheap in price reception areas in Charleston, SC. Everything seems to cost between 1 and 2 thousand and that doesn't include food! I am just trying to have a reception for around 50 people this November that won't make me go broke. I actually had originally thought of having it at the club house where I live which is nice...but I don't think it would fit 50 people. It's nice looking but I think it would only fit about 30 with no room to dance.

Re: Cheap in Charleston...don't even think its possible!

• edited December 2011
    Things are more expensive down here because Charleston is one of the top places for a destination wedding so vendors jack up their prices.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Chaunte' & Dave
    May 21,2011
    Life As A Newlywed
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • nfguthrienfguthrie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Children's Museum of Charleston, which has a garden, was under $1000, I think. You might look into facilities at some of the state parks, as well.  GL!
  • edited December 2011
    Try looking outside of downtown Charleston for cheaper venues. The Pavilion at the Pepper Plantation, Old Wide Awake Plantation and the club house at Wescott Plantation are all a little more reasonable I think. Also check the club house at Legend Oaks.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Yes.  Search for areas outside of downtown Charleston.  Or consider renting a restaurant like McCrady's or High Cotton.  You'll have to use their food and bar, though. 

Another option is to rent a bed and breakfast.  I'm unsure of the price, but at least you've got accommodations covered.

And lastly, you could rent a house.  Check www.homeandaway.com for homes for rent downtown.
  • katydid2014katydid2014 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We had our reception at McCrady's restaurant, upstairs in their private room.  They have two gorgeous private rooms, and our room had a fee of $125.  Then you add on the food, drinks, bartender fee, gratuity/service fee, taxes and our total reception cost (not including my decorations and small floral arrangments and cake) was less than $2,000 for 30 guests with a sit down lunch and open bar of wine and beer.  The good thing about a restaurant is you don't have to rent chairs, tables, linens, place settings, ect. 
    edited December 2011
    And I want to add that the service and food was impeccable at McCrady's. And they have their own event planner person who helps you with everything and someone the day of who is there to make sure everything runs smoothly.  I also didn't include the DJ we used, which was Rhett from Jay Maxwell's Music by Request.  I got their 3 hour package and Rhett did an awesome job.

Something else to consider doing a non-Saturday dinner reception.  We had a Sunday lunch and we were definitely able to save on a few vendors.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree!  Having such a hard time the planning isn't even fun anymore.  I couldn't find anything affordable especially since I am inviting 200+!  I have no idea what our actual number of guests will be since over half are coming from out of town.   Hang in there!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_cheap-charlestondont-even-think-its-possible?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:600Discussion:efc4b64e-929c-4d79-8687-0e419ba969d6Post:698d3a77-24c4-4181-896a-3eb7dbd04b24">Re: Cheap in Charleston...don't even think its possible!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree!  Having such a hard time the planning isn't even fun anymore.  I couldn't find anything affordable especially since I am inviting 200+!  I have no idea what our actual number of guests will be since over half are coming from out of town.   Hang in there!
    Posted by jlbgps[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am inviting a lot but don't expect more than 30-40. Though I am disappointed to find that waterfront garden and white point to not allow more than 25 people. I don't think Hampton Park has a limit though. I am also considering Virginia's on King . Any one have any experience with them?
    edited December 2011
    oguesswhat - We had 30 people and did our ceremony in the garden at the Confederate Home at 62 Broad St.  The rental fee was very reasonable and the garden is beautiful (at least it was on April 10 when we got married) so it doesn't need much decor at all.  And the plus about that place is they have gorgeous historic rooms inside the buildings on the property so in case it had rained we had an alternative, something you don't get at a public park.  It can be a little difficult to get ahold of the woman that runs the office, but just be patient with her.  You could have your reception there also, but you would then have to bring in tables, chairs, linens, plates, ect. 
  • brooks55brooks55 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Charleston is expensive for weddings for 2 reasons...it is a prime destination for weddings and there are not a lot of facilities available. Simply put, supply and demand.
    Since you're only lookingat 50 people, you may want to consider retaurants - like PP's said. McCrady's has a private room, as does Rue de Jean, I believe Oak steakhouse on Broad does as well. The Confederate Home is beautiful - but then there's caterer, and rentals.
    Search sites like OpenTable.com or even retaurants.com to checkout restaurants that offer private rooms/banquet space.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I know I'm alil late on this one, but we are having our reception at James Island County Park in the Edisto Hall building. We liked it because it was away from the noise of the city and we have about 175 people (parking downtown would be horrible). I had to look for a long time before finding something that was in my price range and big enough. $850 for an entire Saturday. The rates are even cheaper on other days.If you don't have a place you should look into it. You can have your own caterer and ldrinks (extra $50 for the lincense). Also comes with chairs and tables. Hope that helps.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards