Canada-Ontario
Options

Music/music video

Hi ladies,
the entertainment company I hired already has the option of having a music video library to go along with the songs the DJ is playing. We didn't get the party lights (the one that spins around on the ceiling), screens with music video library originally because we just didn't have the money for it.
Now my mother wants to pay for this portion which is very nice of her but she was concerned about the music video library as she knows most music these days are a bit provocative for older and young guests we are having. My FI and I have a wide variety in taste of music from Indie, reggae (bob marley), 80's early 90's and top 40. I was thinking we would ask the DJ to play the more appropriate songs earlier in the evening and maybe just not play the video if it is too risque .
Have you been to a wedding where they had this? Is it too much? too  distracting for the guest or annoying in general? 
I heard back from the company today and they said I would obviously choose the music that I want to be played and they would never play anything inappropriate..

Re: Music/music video

• Options
    naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never been to a wedding that had music videos.  However, we had a few dances in high school where it was a "Much Music video dance" or something like that, and it was really distracting.  Not much dancing, and a lot of people staring at the wall watching the music videos.  It wasn't my cup of tea.

What if you skipped the music videos and just got extra special effects - the spinning party lights, maybe something with your initials/monogram as part of the light show, or a fog machine?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_musicmusic-video?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:613Discussion:87c12763-8ae5-4165-a071-710c6a5a7b28Post:f1fabc1f-3650-45e1-946a-7e66202fac5b">Re: Music/music video</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never been to a wedding that had music videos.  However, we had a few dances in high school where it was a "Much Music video dance" or something like that, and it was really distracting.  Not much dancing, and a lot of people staring at the wall watching the music videos.  It wasn't my cup of tea. What if you skipped the music videos and just got extra special effects - the spinning party lights, maybe something with your initials/monogram as part of the light show, or a fog machine?
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]
    Yeah I can do without the music video. I just wasn't sure if it adds anything to the atmosphere of the wedding. We are not having any other entertainment but I also do not want ppl to just be watching a music video and not dance.

I also don't want ppl to be annoyed with it. I am leaning towards not having it and maybe use the money towars a nicer cake or something.
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The music video thing isn't really my taste for a wedding - as PP mentioned, I've been to a few high school dances (and chaperoned a few since I have been teaching) with the video screen.  I think it may be distracting, in my opinion.  

Go with a nicer cake - my cake didn't turn out as well as I wanted and that disappoints me a bit when I look at pictures!  Everyone takes pictures of the cake!
  • Options
    lalap69lalap69 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd also nix the music videos.  It sounds like there's a lot of potential for it to be offensive and distratcting, and a small chance that it will actually add anything of value.  I think your money would be better spent on either things.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    echo136echo136 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I agree with everyone else. It seems very high school...plus I can only imagine what goes on in music videos nowadays. I saw one on youtube the other day to some popular song I cant remember now and was seriously disturbed by what was happening. I say splurge somewhere else. Would your mom let you put the money she wants to give to that, somewhere else?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never heard about that but I think it is better to do without. While I respect the creativity of it, I don't think watching music videos is going to get more people on the dance floor.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies, I just decided to go with the party lights that goes with the music. I think I will use the extra money for a nicely designed cake since it's their the whole time at the reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards