Catholic Weddings
Options

Questions!

Okay, I have a couple:

Who is your favorite saint, and why?

Will you give your children biblical/saint names?  Why/why not?  What saints?

If you were to become a canonized saint, what would you be known for?

Now you add some questions!

Re: Questions!

• Options
    My favorite saint is Therese.  She is my patron saint, so I always received books, statues, etc., of her as a small child.  Reading about her made me more and more interested.  Her life was so amazing to me...as such a young child, she was able to recognize the power of sacrifice as prayer.  She always inspired me.

I think it's nice to name children after saints, but I like names that aren't necessarily saint names.  I think I'd always have at least the middle name be a saint name, though. A lot of names that don't appear to be obvious saint names actually are, though.  Like, the patron saint for "Amy" is Mary.

If I were to be canonized (and I don't think I will....), I would be known for going out of my way to do things to help others.  I have plenty of shortcomings and I am FAAAAAR from perfect, but if I think about what makes me good (which is usually better than dwelling on what makes you bad!), that would be it.  I just try to do things to help out friends and family.  Pet sitting, babysitting, giving people rides places...if I can help out, and they need help, then I'll give it.

• Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:0f75a5db-301f-4974-8ab3-9bf7fda1ea69Post:362ec78a-b2d5-4503-974f-79171ea5f71f">Questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, I have a couple: Who is your favorite saint, and why? Will you give your children biblical/saint names?  Why/why not?  What saints? If you were to become a canonized saint, what would you be known for? Now you add some questions!
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div><strong>Who is your favorite saint, and why?:</strong>  </div><div>I'd have to say that Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton is my favorite... she was married, yet still managed to serve both her family and the poor selflessly and I ask for her intercession to help keep me focused on the things that matter!</div><div>
    </div><div><strong>Will you give your children biblical/saint names?</strong> </div><div>Definitely...</div><div>
    </div><div><strong>Why/why not?</strong> </div><div>It really isn't as common as it used to be and I think needs to be renewed...  I hope that my children will be inspired by the examples of their namesakes and strive to live holy lives.  I had a tough time pre-internet finding a Saint Laura :-)</div><div>
    </div><div><strong>If you were to become a canonized saint, what would you be known for?</strong> </div><div>I try to grow in holiness, but I have a million miles to go before I could even attempt to claim anything near heroic virtue!  Not too many married saints... but I do have some friends that I think could qualify :)</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    Oh, come on Newly!  You have to give a quality you possess which, if you became a saint, people would admire in you.  I'm guessing humility lol?  I just want to clarify that that question doesn't assume we're all amazing people...even pretty bad people can have really amazing qualities. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:0f75a5db-301f-4974-8ab3-9bf7fda1ea69Post:04b3be3a-180c-46d2-b0ee-c0b6f568458b">Re: Questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, come on Newly!  You have to give a quality you possess which, if you became a saint, people would admire in you.  I'm guessing humility lol?  I just want to clarify that that question doesn't assume we're all amazing people...even pretty bad people can have really amazing qualities. 
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div>If I were ever canonized... I hope humility could be one of the virtues I had managed to acquire in greater amounts... lol</div>
  • Options
    Oh, boy. I'm embarrassed by my lack of Catholic knowledge.

1. Favorite Saint --

I am bad and not very familiar with saints. (Baby steps, baby steps!) But! When I was confirmed in HS, I picked Saint Cecilia, because I had read that they found her non-decomposed body long after she had died. Typing that out, it sounds really, really morbid. Anyway she is also the patron saint of musicians (again... I think?). 

I also find myself saying lots of prayers to St. Anthony, patron of lost things. :)

2. Biblical/Saint Names for Children --

I think it's a nice idea, but I'd rather name my children after family members (and there is some overlap). If we have a daughter, she's definitely going to be named (at least in part) after FI's mother, that's just something we had always discussed, even before she passed away. My family has some names that I'd like to use as well. I think I'd be more likely to use a biblical name for a boy than for a girl. 

3. I will not be canonized.

Ever. :) So if I were, it would have to be one of those "she was lost and then she was found" type things. 

This makes me want to research saints and not civil procedure!!
  • Options
    SMN -- I, too, like St. Cecilia!  I remember being a little girl and thinking the Simon and Garfunklel song was about her lol.  It's amazing how much goes over a small child's head.  I heard it on the radio and just assumed, you know? 

• Options
    I have to admit I'm a little embarassed at how much I've forgotten about the saints.  I know I learned about them in CCD, but I don't think we even picked one for Confirmation.  However, Saint Anthony has helped me find many lost things, so I'd have to choose him.  "Say a prayer to Saint Anthony" is a staple around our house :)

We may, but if it happens that way it will more likely be just because we both like the name, not necessarily because we want to name the child after a specific saint.  We've talked some about names and would like to use family names for at least a middle name, if not a first name. 

Well, I have a LOOOOONG way to go before that.  Let's just say it's never going to happen.  But, IF it did, maybe something to do with compassion for animals (if that even counts)?  My FI and I have so far adopted three rescue dogs (one passed away, so we adopted another because our girl was having severe separation anxiety with being alone all day).  I have such a soft spot for them now, and would love to do a lot more work with fostering/rescue if we didn't live in such a small place right now.
  • Options
    Erin, you'd be like a female version of St Francis lol!  I love animals, too, but I really don't do much for them (except my own, of course).  I havea friend whose Mom wants to buy a big piece of land when she retires, and just rescue tons of stray dogs and cats.  She takes really good care of her pets, so I think she'd be great at it. 

Newly, you mention being brought up in a good, holy house.  How many siblings do you have?  Are they all still good, practicing Catholics?  I know a TON of big, holy Catholic families, but I don't know one where all the children grow up to be good Catholics.  I want to know the secret!  It seems like the best, holiest parents don't even succeed in raising good, holy children.  I guess that's free will for ya!

• Options
    St. John Vianney. He is the patron of priests, but also MY patron, cuz my birthday is on his feast day! yay! But, he is also AWESOME. He was sooo holy, he would hear confessions like literally 20 hours a day, and the devil would physically attack him at night, and he could read people's hearts in confession, and people came from all over the world for him to hear their confession. I think it's been documented that he could bi-locate, too.

I think so. I especially love many of the female names in the Roman Canon (which is unfortunately rarely used at most English Masses b/c it's the longest,) like Felicity, Agatha, Lucy, Agnes, Cecilia, Anastasia. But DH and I are going to have a hard enough time agreeing on names as it is- I like unique but pronounceable names, and he likes, um... "boring" names. :-P

Long way to go. I like to think I might someday learn to follow something like St. Therese's "Little Way," which is like, "let nothing disturb you," but if we're talking  personality here, then it would probably be like cuz I'm not afraid to speak the truth. But, much as I would be TERRIFIED to go to prison or be tortured for my faith, I think being a martyr (quick death, please, lol!) would probably be "easiest."
    Anniversary
  • Options

Joan of Arc.  She was such a strong woman, and the patron saint of France.

Yep! First daughter will have middle name of Marie, which is the French version of Mary, also the name of H's (<----oh goodness first time I've typed this!!!) sister.  Boy's middle name will be Matthew, after H's brother.

Something education related
  • Options
    Resa-
    yeah, I've totally noticed that some of the holiest people don't always have holy children. I have no idea why. It makes me sad, cuz I'm like, "ok, so what's the magic secret for my own children?" haha... So yeah, free will is obviously a part of it, but perhaps there is something about sanctity doesn't automatically give you good parenting skills? (eg, while you might be the model of holiness yourself, it's not as easy to teach others how to, for example, make good decisions.)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    St. Francis, just for all that he contributed to the church.  His prayer gets me through a lot.  =)

Like SMN, we will probably go with family names as well, BUT many of our family names are saints' names or variations thereof.  We really like the name Noemi, which was my grandmother's name when she immigrated to the US (she changed it), but that is pretty much the only name we're settled on.  We're having a much harder time with boy names than girl, though!  I'm weird and don't want to name our kids anything with an "A" (first initial of both our names) or an "M" (our last initial -- I don't know why but I dislike matching initials).

We're also big on names that are not necessarily "American."  We both love Spanish names, and having taught so many Middle Eastern and Indian students for the last several years, I have fallen in love with lots of their names -- especially the girls (Samya, Amreen, Rekha... gorgeous)!

I would hope it would be something involving teaching, but I am pretty far away from this.

Edit: lol, wrote the wrong saint!
    Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:0f75a5db-301f-4974-8ab3-9bf7fda1ea69Post:d5645347-86d6-4c71-a493-3d3b981e0294">Re: Questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm weird and don't want to name our kids anything with an "A" (first initial of both our names) or an "M" (our last initial -- I don't know why but I dislike matching initials). 
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

<div>This makes me giggle - if you named your kid an M-name, I can just imagine the dozens of people throughout his or her lifetime who would give gifts of M&Ms and rejoice at how clever they were to think of that... or you could do an entire M&M themed nursery.. or. or. you know.</div><div>
    </div><div>My favorite girl's name starts with E, which is soon to be my second initial... but she can deal with it. :)</div>
  • Options
    Lalaith-  I would definitely say that speaking the truth with great courage and zeal is something people would know you for.  I always admire that in you.  Even though I don't always agree 100% with what you're saying (mostly on opinion-type things, not on doctrine), I always really admire and respect how you aren't afraid to say something that might be unpopular. 

• Options
    aww, thanks. :-)
    I was totally "not cool" in junior high, which I hated, but as I grew older I started to appreciate that it was my exact same characteristics which made me "not cool," which as I got older really enabled me to be very independent and not-obsessed-with-what-other-people-think-about-me, and therefore not "tied down" as many people are, and became much more confident long before my peers in high school.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Who is your favorite saint, and why?  Mine is St. Elizabeth.  I've just always loved her story and what an integral role her son played in the life of Jesus.  

Will you give your children biblical/saint names?  Why/why not?  What saints? For the first boy, we're using Henry Vincent (dads' names and saint names).  For the first girl we're using Elizabeth Ann (moms' middle names and saint names).  We plan to use saint/biblical names for all of our children. I think it's such a nice tradition!  

If you were to become a canonized saint, what would you be known for? Highly doubtful...but I suppose something to do with compassion and being a good listener when people need comfort.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I suppose my favorite saint is my confirmation saint, St. Thomas Aquinas.  I love him because he excelled to such high intellectual levels in theology and philosophy, but he always maintained that it was far more important to love God than to "know" and "understand" things.  I try and remember that for myself, that while I love history and theology and strive to become an expert in these fields, my main goal in life should be to love God and others.  I also just can't help but love his analytical mind and how he was always thinking. 

There's a story of St. Thomas that he was at a dinner with some important people.  While everyone was talking, he was silent and in thought.  Then suddenly he slammed his fist on the table and blurted, "that will settle the albigensians!"  I've always been lost in my own little world, and apologetics is always on my mind.

Probably not.  I mean, I might, but so far the names in my head aren't saint names.  Maybe saint middle names.  It would be nice, but in the end we're going to pick names that sound right over ones with christian connotations.  But that's what baptism and confirmation saint names are for.

Like everyone else here, I'm light years from sainthood, but since I got to play the game, I think I would be known for my willingness to sacrifice for my family and loyalty in taking care of them.

SaveSave
  • Options
    My favorite saint is also Joan of Arc. She was amazingly strong not only in faith, but mentally and physically. And so courageous. Can you imagine being a teenager and leading fullly grown men into battle with all the odds against you? Incredible. And needing to constantly protect your virtue? I've read a number of biographies about her and I get inspired and moved each time.

I probably will not go out of the way to name my children after saints, but certainly wouldn't dismiss a name for that reason either. And many names are a variation on a known saint name, so I think it may work out that way anyway.

I could never be a saint. I'm far too flawed and one of my miracles would likely have to be the transformation needed to be considered saintlike at all. I don't tend to be showy or vocal about my beliefs, or anything for that matter, so if I were known for anything, I'd hope it'd be quiet sacrifice.
    Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    -Only one? I can't choose, so I'll just include some of my favorites. :) My confirmation patron is St. Therese of Lisieux, and I love her Little Way. I also have great devotion to Francis, Clare and Dominic and St. Thomas More (dating back to HS, not his recent attention thanks to the HHS Mandate). I find myself growing more and more deeply in my raltionship to the Blessed Mother.

-Most definitely, and H and I are on the same page about that. Non-saint names are not even on the table. We both feel that we want our children to have the example and prayers of those saints, and the ties to the history and community of the Church. Our little girl will be Clare. Our boy's name was Peter. We also love Felicity and Thomas. If we go to 3 on either gender, there will probably be lengthier conversation. Middle names will be family names, but if they are Saints'/Bible names, all the better. LO, for example, gets a double dose with Louise (de Marillac and my mom).

-Although unlikely, I would hope it would have to do with service to my family, my Church and my community.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/8251791/Pope-rails-against-rise-of-un-Christian-names.html

I've heard that naming children after family hands down the spiritual wounds of family member. Perhaps that is just for direct line- "juniors".

• Options
    My favorite saint is Joan of Arc. Pursuing what she knows to be right with everyone against her. Challenging gender roles. She is just awesome. I am not sure on kids names. The only thing I know is we plan on using the child's godparent's name as the child's middle name. My parents did that and I love it. If I become cannonized the trait others would look towards me for would be optimism in challenging times and patience.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:0f75a5db-301f-4974-8ab3-9bf7fda1ea69Post:f8b6f7d7-a62a-4d55-a66d-abc4ae7cc5ee">Re: Questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]<a href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/8251791/Pope-rails-against-rise-of-un-Christian-names.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/the-pope/8251791/Pope-rails-against-rise-of-un-Christian-names.html</a> I've heard that naming children after family hands down the spiritual wounds of family member. Perhaps that is just for direct line- "juniors".
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

No offense, but I've always found this a bit silly.  I agree with the Pope that we should stay away from trendy names, especially celebrity names and the like.  But to choose only names of saints or biblical people?

Yes, it would be nice to pick a saint/biblical name, but a lot of our saints and biblical people had original names that had no christian origin, you know what I mean?  A lot of saints were the first christians to be named that name.  There has to be a first for every name.

To me, a name is just a name.  It doesn't really influence the kind of person you are.  And children will learn to model their lives after the saints because of how you raise and teach them, not because of their name.  When you baptize them, you will give them a new christian name.  And when they are confirmed, they will choose another.

SaveSave
  • Options
    Lots of places in scripture give weight to names and naming children and it carrying lots of meaning. 

I think using every opportunity to gain help from saints being patrons and their charisms is a good idea.
  • Options
    But they're usually original names.

"Jesus" and "John" were specifically named children, but they weren't named after any holy people.

Abram and Sarai were specifically renamed by God.  Same for Jacob- />Israel.  They weren't named after anyone, but given new names of special meaning.

Same for Simon to Peter.  Or Saul to Paul. 

I can't off the top of my head think of any situations in which someone was named after someone in particular, like a holy person. 

SaveSave
  • Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    I can't remember where exactly I heard this, nor do I have much of an opinion about this, but I remember hearing someone giving encouragement to name your kids non-Saint names, precisely so we can get new Saint names. (Like, when/if those kids become canonized Saints!)
    Anniversary
  • Options

The Blessed Mother, especially under certain of her titles (Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Queen of Heaven, Our Lady of Loreto) St. Gianna, St. Maria Goretti, St. Thomas More, and some others who are not quite saints but on the way, especially Bl. Pier Giorgio Frassati & Servant of God Fulton Sheen, and (this is a new one) Bl. Jose Sanchez del Rio Viva Cristo Rey!

Yes, we definitely will. We prefer them anyway but we take a certain pleasure in coming up with super-Catholic names, lol...if this baby had been a girl it would've been Maria Regina Caeli (and we will probably still use that for our first girl.) Still working on his name now that we know he's a boy. (Suggestions? Lol)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    In Response to Questions!
    :
     Who is your favorite saint, and why? Saint Ann, mother of the Blessed Virgin.  I think she's my favorite because there is a shrine to her, including saint bones, at my church.

Will you give your children biblical/saint names? Not sure. Why/why not? Most of them are becoming over used.  How many Michaels and Josephs do you know?

If you were to become a canonized saint, what would you be known for? I think that could be centuries off but I would like to be a second St. Ann.  I carry part of her name and she loved her daughter.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:0f75a5db-301f-4974-8ab3-9bf7fda1ea69Post:67308743-96a4-40b3-ab14-1dc4895c8147">Re: Questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Newly, you mention being brought up in a good, holy house.  How many siblings do you have?  Are they all still good, practicing Catholics?  I know a TON of big, holy Catholic families, but I don't know one where all the children grow up to be good Catholics.  I want to know the secret!  It seems like the best, holiest parents don't even succeed in raising good, holy children.  I guess that's free will for ya!
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think it really depends on the family... I've seen big Catholic families where the siblings keep up their faith and big Catholic families where some go off the deep end after high school or even college.  I've seen families where all the siblings went through 12 years of Catholic school and none of them practice anymore... and families where siblings went through public school and still faithfull practice their faith.  I have two younger sisters that are still staunch papists... my youngest sister is definitely the most saintly of the three of us!  I definitely don't know the secret, either... probably a lot of praying, for starters... and learning to let go and let God take care of them when you can't any more.
    </div>
  • Options

Growing up I really admired Saint Agnes. I chose her for my confirmation name. I really loved how God helped protect her purity. I also am incredibly fond of Saint Joseph. If I could pick again, I'd probbaly chose a feminine form of Joseph as my confirmation name, so that I could have Christ, Mary, and Joseph in my name. 

I always wanted to learn about a Saint Christina as I was growing up, but there wasn't one in any popular kids Saint Books. I have learned about one or two, but they're obscure and not really well documented. I think it's nice growing up to have a Saint tied to your name. If I can find saint names I like, then I will use them. There's always a middle name too. My mom gave me Marie, and my sister Mary as middle names, because the devil fears it.

Patience for others, I think. Now if only I could gain a little more for myself! ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't think naming someone after a family member would pass down spiritual wounds. If it's a hereditary thing, it would happen regardless of name. If it was a name thing, it would happen to people named after saints, too, since they have spiritual wounds. Am I missing something?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards