Catholic Weddings
Options

Questions!

2»

Re: Questions!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:0f75a5db-301f-4974-8ab3-9bf7fda1ea69Post:0c7974bb-796e-4307-9554-4cf1816a0530">Re:Questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't think naming someone after a family member would pass down spiritual wounds. If it's a hereditary thing, it would happen regardless of name. If it was a name thing, it would happen to people named after saints, too, since they have spiritual wounds. Am I missing something?
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't have a lot of background for this, which is why I prefaced it with " I think".</div><div>
    </div><div>however, naming after a saint, the saint is already purified in heaven...wounds have been healed and been glorified. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:0f75a5db-301f-4974-8ab3-9bf7fda1ea69Post:0c7974bb-796e-4307-9554-4cf1816a0530">Re:Questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wouldn't think naming someone after a family member would pass down spiritual wounds. If it's a hereditary thing, it would happen regardless of name. If it was a name thing, it would happen to people named after saints, too, since they have spiritual wounds. Am I missing something?
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div>I think it depends.  H has a cousin who was very troubled and died a few months ago after ODing.  She was named after H's grandmother, and I suggested naming one of our children after her (I also just like her name) and H was worried about what the effect would be on that child once she learned the history of her name.</div>
    Anniversary

• Options
    Who is your favorite saint, and why?  I am going to steal an early answer to this question, and go with Elizabeth Ann Seton.  (My confirmation saint.)  For the same reasons - she was a wife and mother and still devoted her life to helping others.

Will you give your children biblical/saint names?  Why/why not?  What saints?  Yes and no.  My parents did this with all 5 of us, because they both were converts to Catholicism in their teens and did not like their 'secular' names.  I always thought that giving your kids Biblical/Saint names was a nice tradition.

However, DH is from India, and where he's from, the names are generally divided by 'Hindu', 'Muslim', or 'Western' - if you have a western name, biblical or not, you're almost assuredly Catholic (almost all Christians in his area are Catholic).  So using biblical or saint names isn't a tradition in his family - a 'western' name is considered a Christian/Catholic name.

Our baby is a boy, and we're working on names now.  We've chosen Liam
    (form of William - there are a lot of St. Williams) as his likely first name, but we're still working on a middle name and aren't restricting to only biblical/saint names.

If you were to become a canonized saint, what would you be known for?

While this is very unlikely to happen, at this point I'd have to stay sticking to my beliefs in spite of a lot of pressure to do otherwise.  My mom's family (they all converted to Catholicism when she was in high school) have all left the church, and 3 of my 4 siblings no longer practice either.  It's just me, my parents, and my kid brother left.  I was also (briefly and misguidedly) engaged at 18 - but he left when I wouldn't sleep with him before marriage.  It was ten years later until I got to the altar with the right guy, but it was worth it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Love 06/2005 | Marriage 05/28/2011 | Baby! Peanut born on his due date, 9/30/12 Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:0f75a5db-301f-4974-8ab3-9bf7fda1ea69Post:0c7974bb-796e-4307-9554-4cf1816a0530">Re:Questions!</a>:
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

I thought Jesus healed us of those kinds of spiritual wounds, that's why the newborn are innocent.

Furthermore, if a child is named after a relative who was originally named after a saint, isn't that junior also named after that original saint? I don't see a problem. But also, as PPs previously said, many saints were originally pagans, and after they became saints, those names became Christian. Who is.to say that someday there won't be a st. Bono or st. Brooklyn, or st. Ivy Blue?

I like Gianna Beretta Molla, since we are/were both physicians.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:0f75a5db-301f-4974-8ab3-9bf7fda1ea69Post:6c3307c5-e15f-4c7c-814c-a2caa741bd0b">Re:Questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Questions! : I thought Jesus healed us of those kinds of spiritual wounds, that's why the newborn are innocent. 
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

<div>No we actually carry generational wounds and consequences of those with us, even after baptism. </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    And here I was thinking the sins of the father meant that we pass down our sins by raising children in abusive households. Apparently what it meant was naming a kid after a sinful relative.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:0f75a5db-301f-4974-8ab3-9bf7fda1ea69Post:58d70945-a047-48d4-877b-da3d5d6639f8">Re: Questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE] ... if this baby had been a girl it would've been Maria Regina Caeli (and we will probably still use that for our first girl.) Still working on his name now that we know he's a boy. (Suggestions? Lol)
    Posted by caitriona87[/QUOTE]

Joshua?  That's one of my favorites.  "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."  I know it's a fairly common name, but I recall that Jesus, Joseph, Joses and Joshua all are derived from the Hebrew "Yehoshua."

Samuel is also a beautiful choice, in my humble opinion.  "<span class="text 1Sam-1-27">For this child I have prayed, and the Lord has given me my petition which I asked of Him."  :-)
    </span>
  • Options
    Jasmine&RajahJasmine&Rajah member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:0f75a5db-301f-4974-8ab3-9bf7fda1ea69Post:d5645347-86d6-4c71-a493-3d3b981e0294">Re: Questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]  We both love Spanish names, and having taught so many Middle Eastern and Indian students for the last several years, I have fallen in love with lots of their names -- especially the girls (Samya, Amreen, Rekha... gorgeous)!
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

EXCELLENT!  Just make sure to really roll those "r's!"  ;-)  How about Samira?  That's one of my favorite female names.  Leila is another.  And St. Rafqa (Rafka) was an incredibly brave woman - how she suffered for Christ! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:0f75a5db-301f-4974-8ab3-9bf7fda1ea69Post:16912d34-625e-427c-8666-31258bc198c4">Re: Questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]And here I was thinking the sins of the father meant that we pass down our sins by raising children in abusive households. Apparently what it meant was naming a kid after a sinful relative.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

<div>I didn't say one word about "sinful relative".</div><div>
    </div><div>Look, some babies are born with physical deformities. Baptism doesn't automatically heal those, does it? Same goes for spiritual and emotional wounds as well. Our actions and wounds carry consequences long after. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    The idea that spiritual wounds will follow a child based on the name parents choose sounds superstisious. I understand the argument and agree about naming a child after a relative that was troubled because family will hear the name and reflect on that troubled relative. I do not think an infant will have spiritual wounds due to the bame chosen by parents. Example, H's cousin committed suicide. His name was John. You mean to tell me that his suicide out weighs the works of John the Baptist and our child will have spiritual scars that are not able to be healed?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:0f75a5db-301f-4974-8ab3-9bf7fda1ea69Post:38b6fe2b-de5a-4cbd-963a-f9d4e6f4eda0">Re:Questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The idea that spiritual wounds will follow a child based on the name parents choose sounds superstisious. I understand the argument and agree about naming a child after a relative that was troubled because family will hear the name and reflect on that troubled relative. I do not think an infant will have spiritual wounds due to the bame chosen by parents. Example, H's cousin committed suicide. His name was John. You mean to tell me that his suicide out weighs the works of John the Baptist and our child will have spiritual scars that are not able to be healed?
    Posted by HandBanana[/QUOTE]

<div>No, this is not what I said.</div>
  • Options
    I don't see how naming a child after a relative has anything to do with passing on the spiritual wounds of family members.

And if you really believe that, then what does it mean when a child named after a saint turns out to be a bad apple?
  • Options
    This is way off-topic, but Mica, I love love love love that sig.  One of my friends posted it on FB yesterday and I nearly died.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Thanks, Prof!
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_questions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:0f75a5db-301f-4974-8ab3-9bf7fda1ea69Post:29f292f3-5f34-4208-bcc2-abe59c0d5931">Re:Questions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Questions! : No, this is not what I said.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

Yes, it was
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards