Catholic Weddings

Ave Maria

What do you think about playing Ave Maria for the wedding party processional? I think that it is just the most beautiful song and our cantor truly has the perfect clear, high voice but I can't find a place to use it in my ceremony as we are not lighting a unity candle or placing flowers for Mary during the ceremony. Our organist is really pushing for a "march" like Trumpet Voluntary during the processional and then Canon in D for when I walk down.

Re: Ave Maria

• DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How about when the mothers walk down? At my church, I usually sing the Ave Maria when the couple goes to mary, but if they choose not to, we do it when the mother come down the aisle (They walk slow and we only do 1 verse). Then we go into the trumpet voluntary for the bridesmaids. hth!
  • edited December 2011
    Totally lovely song and totally fine choice. My sister entered to Ave Maria.
  • edited December 2011
    That's what I'll be entering to. Love it!
  • aprilrose975aprilrose975 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using that as our processional we are using the version by Josh Groban  I wish we could afford to have someone sing live but this is the next best thing.I am walking down to A Christmas Cannon by the Trans Siberian Orchastra.  It is a Christmas time wedding  
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Ave Maria for the gift placing to the Blessed Mother and St. Joseph. I love that song.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    our party and us walked into Ave Maria (only 4 people total, so no need for 2 different songs).
  • Kaye SmithKaye Smith member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love Ave Maria too - our contact at the church mentioned that we can take some time to do a sort of devotional to the statue of the Virgin Mary - by having the girls bring flowers to the statue and i thought that would be the perfect time to have Ave Maria played.  just a thought!
  • edited December 2011
    I think you just want to check with your music director at your church 1st. They may have guidelines you'll need to follow. Congrats!
  • edited December 2011
    I love that song too! We are having it played when we bring gifts up to the Blessed Mother.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's a lovely piece of music.  We're actually having a men's a capella group sing the version by Biebl.  We are having a very small wedding party- fiance, fiance's dad is his best man, maid of honor, 2 flower girls, ring bearer, and me.  The music minister said we could use it at the end of the prelude/beginning of the actual wedding since the seating of my mom and his mom plus the flower girls, ring bearer, maid of honor and me won't take very long.  This version is roughly 6.5 minutes.  I'm not opposed to walking down the aisle (it is a short one, btw!) to Trumpet Voluntary, but I'm such a music geek that the thought of going in with the Ave Maria is just perfect.  Have a great time planning the music- it's such a great expression of what's happening that day and there are endless sacred options.  Happy wedding!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards